DC Direct To Video Animated Films

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, June 14, 2014, 06:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'd snap up a Year One set easy. I don't own either of them.

TDKR would be perfect, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

The Dark Knight Returns would be perfect. This really is an amazing idea.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really hope that they do one for Justice League: The New Frontier. I really want to read that comic, and the movie was great, IMO.

And yes, Year One is amazing. I loved TDKR, but Year One is my favorite thing to come out of the DC DTV movies.

gunswordfist

I still need to check out New Frontier comic as well and I still wonder if anything was edited out of the CN version, thus possibly making it even a bit better.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on July 28, 2015, 12:05:52 PM
"IT'S YOUR NEW FAVORITE SHOW" actually isn't an unfair claim, since TTG! is the highest rated cartoon with kids nowadays.

Yep.

Not surprised. A lot of kids just love random goofy humor.

Dr. Insomniac

So I watched The Killing Joke movie. Dear God, never let Azzarello touch a cartoon again.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 01, 2016, 05:09:14 AM
So I watched The Killing Joke movie. Dear God, never let Azzarello touch a cartoon again.

Is he the director?

Daxdiv

Watched Killing Joke. I will say that I loved the parts that covered the original story (Which is what I wanted from that adaptation) and that I wasn't too wild with the first 30 minutes of it. I mean... I get that they had to extend the story since the source material was pretty short to make a movie out of, but there is something about this that just bothered me.

gunswordfist

They shoukd have just made The Joker's backstories longer, from the sound of it.

Daikun

Avaitor

So we're getting an R-rated directors cut of Wonder Woman '09.

...Interesting. It's pretty far removed from the original release, and I don't see what an extended cut could really add. But I do think that it's one of the better of their animated films, and I'm not much of a fan of Diana.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

It's probably the first thing that made me like Wonder Woman so I am very interested.

Peanutbutter

Always loved Wonder Woman and wanted a sequel to this. Hope if its really good this new cut can open the way for it finally having one.

gunswordfist

A sequel with the same team would be amazing

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I recently checked out the new Teen Titans film that DC put out. Like most of their output, it's pretty OK. I think a big problem that I have with DC's DTVs is that they just take classic and iconic stories from the comics and then just kind of make lazy, uninspired, rehashed versions of them that don't take into account how to properly adapt a work. With something like The Killing Joke, they so awkwardly inserted in a completely out of place prologue that not only didn't connect to the main story, but in fact even hurt it by flat-out insulting Batgirl's character. What's sad is that this is the same team that did such a great job with adapting Batman: Year One, which was under an hour in length and didn't at all need to prolong its time in order to make it feel more like a full-length movie, as the core story was strong enough as it was. Even the parts of The Killing Joke that were from the comic just felt so lazily handled in terms of how they had such stitled and limited animation, and no interesting visuals or creative liberties that worked better in animated form. I understand that they were paying homage to the comic book by trying to look as much like the original as possible, but if I wanted that, I'd just go and read the comic. In an adaptation I want a version of the story that works better for that medium. With this new Teen Titans movie, it felt rather flat and unexciting because it was a big story with incredibly important character moments without any of the context behind it. A story like the Judas Contract only works with years of history between the characters building up to that story. Just presenting it as a stand-alone piece simply won't do it much, if any, justice.

The frustrating thing is that DC has proven that they can do a good DTV movie right with The New Frontier, Wonder Woman '09, Year One, and The Dark Knight Returns, but more often than not they seem to ignore what worked about those movies and instead focus on either big stories to promote their current comics (whether it sutits an animated feature format or not) or pointless fanservice.

That said, I still have yet to see their 60's Batman throwback feature, which I heard was pretty good, so maybe they do still come out with good stuff from time to time, but on the whole I've been rather unimpressed with most of their output in recent years.