DC Direct To Video Animated Films

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, June 14, 2014, 06:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The last good DC DTV movies were The Dark Knight Returns two-parter. After that, Bruce Timm stepped down as executive producer of these features (and from what I understand, he had a good deal of creative input on some of these movies). Without him, I have little faith in any new ones being any good.

And as for the people saying that there were never any good ones, I can say that a few of them were really well-done, including:

Wonder Woman
Justice League: The New Frontier
Batman: Year One
The Dark Knight Returns Parts I & II

Also, Public Enemies and First Flight were decent, though nothing spectacular.

On another note, while I respect it, I'm honestly not a fan of The Killing Joke. I don't think that I'd put it on par with Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, or The Long Halloween, myself. Like CX, I acknowledge its significance more than I actually enjoy it on a personal level.

Dr. Insomniac

He had more of a direct hand with the recent one, Gods and Monsters. And that one was probably the least stupid DC animated film I watched in a while.

Spark Of Spirit

Did TB&TB get removed from Netflix there? It's still up here, but we never got season 3.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 27, 2015, 11:05:40 PM
Bruce Timm stepped down as executive producer of these features
And there goes any hope I have for this.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

We lost like all of the CN/Warner cartoons on here around the same time, aside from PPG, Courage, and Chowder. So yeah, no more TB&TB on Netflix.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, by the way, I want to also put in that Year One is a really good movie. I haven't sat down yet with either TDKR movies yet, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

As for The Killing Joke movie, I'm mostly interested because it'll be great fun to hear Mark Hamill read the lines.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 27, 2015, 11:07:52 PM
He had more of a direct hand with the recent one, Gods and Monsters. And that one was probably the least stupid DC animated film I watched in a while.
It looks kind of interesting, just going off of a few pics. I need to check it out.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 27, 2015, 11:52:21 PM
Oh, by the way, I want to also put in that Year One is a really good movie. I haven't sat down yet with either TDKR movies yet, though.

Yeah, Year One was great. It's one of my favorite origin stories for a character.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 28, 2015, 12:16:42 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 27, 2015, 11:52:21 PM

Yeah, Year One was great. It's one of my favorite origin stories for a character.
Wouldn't mind a Green Arrow: Year One starring the cast from the show.  ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, at least we get to see Arrow and The Flash actors voice act for the animated versions of their characters in the upcoming Vixen animated series. ;)

Dr. Insomniac

I'm waiting for the morbid DC executive to make Flash Go! and Arrow Go! and air commercials of it nonstop on Cartoon Network.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 28, 2015, 01:18:25 AMI'm waiting for the morbid DC executive to make Flash Go! and Arrow Go! and air commercials of it nonstop on Cartoon Network.

Oh, dear god no! :whuh:

Otherwise you might as well make an Ultimate Daredevil cartoon for Disney XD to go along with the butchering trend.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 28, 2015, 01:18:25 AM
I'm waiting for the morbid DC executive to make Flash Go! and Arrow Go! and air commercials of it nonstop on Cartoon Network.

IT'S YOUR NEW FAVORITE SHOW! IT'S YOUR NEW FAVORITE SHOW! That's now how it works CN's marketing team. Also, it's basically Johnny Test 2.0 at this point on how they give this show more priority in repeat slots than their other shows.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 28, 2015, 12:02:41 AM
As for The Killing Joke movie, I'm mostly interested because it'll be great fun to hear Mark Hamill read the lines.

This is probably the novelty of why I wanted Mark Hamill back as the Joker after his self imposed retirement of voicing him. I just want to hear Hamill read the words. Also, I am interested in seeing if they have the balls to kill the Joker like Grant Morrison thought.

Avaitor

"IT'S YOUR NEW FAVORITE SHOW" actually isn't an unfair claim, since TTG! is the highest rated cartoon with kids nowadays.

Yep.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Have you guys seen these? I think it's a brilliant idea!

I went to Best Buy earlier today, and saw a couple of them. Sadly no Year One, though. That's the one that I'm mostly interested in buying. Not only is it supposed to be the best movie that I haven't seen, but it's a great GN which I yet to own. This would be a great way for me to finally catch up.

New blog!