How is Nick Doing?

Started by talonmalon333, June 23, 2014, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 10:52:22 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on June 23, 2014, 10:44:58 PM
If it bombed, you'd think that the show would be over.

But at the same time, what does Nick have to replace it?
Like gunswordfist said, if it bombs, that could simply be it for Nick in the long run. If the kids are over Spongebob, then Nick is entirely clueless and is completely unprepared for what this could mean for them.

When Rugrats fell off, they built up Spongebob which easily slid in to catch the network from any damage. If Spongebob falls, what will be there to catch them this time?
I should probably clarify that I don't mean if Spongebob dies then Nickelodeon is a dead channel. I mean if the movie bombs, then it means Nickelodeon is completely unaware of their audience and is symptomatic of a bigger problem of Nick being unable to do anything outside of relying on a show that started almost fifteen years ago.

I mean, just look at what they're currently doing:

1. They keep Fairly Odd Parents around despite it being completely off the radar yet cancel the creator's other projects which could potentially outmatch it.
2. They have pretty much completely abandoned the kidcom market to Disney for gimmicky shows that don't particularly seem to be catching on.
3. They don't really do anything with their stars. Just check out the whole Sam & Cat debacle currently going on.
4. They still have one program taking up over half of their air-time, giving no presence to anything else.
5. They don't cultivate talent. If your name isn't Dan Schneider, your live action output seemingly doesn't matter. If you're not Ariana Grande, Nick doesn't seem interested in putting you in a show or helping your career out.
6. Breadwinners. Like. What is that even supposed to be?
7. If I'm not mistaken, outside of Sam & Cat every live action show they made that year was canceled after a single season. That's not a confidence builder for your workers or your audience.
8. Why are Korra and TMNT like, almost never on? Whatever ratings they had are going to disappear because they don't do anything with them.

Everything Nickelodeon is currently doing seems like they're flailing in the deep end. How do they not know they got into this mess on their own?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Like gunswordfist said, if it bombs, that could simply be it for Nick in the long run. If the kids are over Spongebob, then Nick is entirely clueless and is completely unprepared for what this could mean for them.

When Rugrats fell off, they built up Spongebob which easily slid in to catch the network from any damage. If Spongebob falls, what will be there to catch them this time?
I don't think that would mean kids are over Spongebob. I meant it would be a huge financial blow if bob tanked.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 23, 2014, 11:54:35 PM

I don't think that would mean kids are over Spongebob. I meant it would be a huge financial blow if bob tanked.
That's what I meant. It would show that Nick should be putting their eggs in more than just the Spongebob basket, which they can't seem to do.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Apparently they cut down on SpongeBob airings a good bit, so it might not be half of their time anymore.

gunswordfist

Ah, ok. I never really loved Nick since that never really had more than a handful of ongoing shows that I liked but they can't even get that right these days. It's sad.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 11:07:26 PM
7. If I'm not mistaken, outside of Sam & Cat every live action show they made that year was canceled after a single season. That's not a confidence builder for your workers or your audience.

From what I can gather, the only other 2013 live-action show that made it past 1 season was The Thundermans & the Haunted Hathaways. Both shows finished their first season and Nick did order a second one for them. A very big contrast to Sam & Cat, which got what would be normally a 2nd season added to the first, and it does feel like Nick pushed that into the spotlight cause, reasons. But looking at a list, there were a lot of shows that got cut after a season in 2012. Remember Marvin Marvin, How to Rock, or Fred the Show!?

Avaitor

I think the last non-Schneider live-action show that did rather well for Nick was Big Time Rush, which to be fair, actually got a fourth season, unlike Victorious.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on June 24, 2014, 02:50:15 PM
I think the last non-Schneider live-action show that did rather well for Nick was Big Time Rush, which to be fair, actually got a fourth season, unlike Victorious.
Was BTR ever actually pushed? It doesn't feel like it was, sort of like the audience found the show despite Nick's best efforts.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 24, 2014, 04:22:29 PM
Was BTR ever actually pushed? It doesn't feel like it was, sort of like the audience found the show despite Nick's best efforts.
I think Nick was more interested in Victorious at the time, but kids did seem to be into it.

Although I think Nick was REALLY pissed that they couldn't get an agreement with One Direction to make a show, since they tried so hard to push them. The iCarly episode, the specials, the KCA performances, then the show idea fell through. Which probably isn't a bad thing in hindsight, since I believe that like most of Disney's stuff, boys just didn't tune in. They barely did for BTR.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on June 24, 2014, 07:43:25 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 24, 2014, 04:22:29 PM
I think Nick was more interested in Victorious at the time, but kids did seem to be into it.

Although I think Nick was REALLY pissed that they couldn't get an agreement with One Direction to make a show, since they tried so hard to push them. The iCarly episode, the specials, the KCA performances, then the show idea fell through. Which probably isn't a bad thing in hindsight, since I believe that like most of Disney's stuff, boys just didn't tune in. They barely did for BTR.
That's kind of strange considering I'm pretty sure Ned was more popular with guys, but I guess it shows an ability to appeal to more than one audience.

Is the staff currently doing a show for Nick? It's pretty hard to tell.

Avaitor

You mean Scott Fellows? From what I can tell, he's currently without a show.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on June 24, 2014, 08:10:17 PM
You mean Scott Fellows? From what I can tell, he's currently without a show.
That's a shame. Nick needs a show like one of his right now.

Skeeter Valentine

It's wrong to compare Rugrats to Spongebob. Rugrats even at their height (which was from 1999-2000) were nowhere near the megablockbuster Spongebob is. Nowhere even close. Rugrats were only one about three times a day during that period, and Nick still aired lots of other shows.

But I'm noticing a trend where Nick will greenlight some random cartoon only to cancel it quickly after.

Avaitor

Okay, so Nick was airing new FOP episodes lately, and they barely seemed to do anything in the ratings. Repeats of SpongeBob and iCarly (yeah, I guess it's back on now) were beating them, strangely enough.

I remember around the time iCarly and Victorious were wrapping up, they put Drake & Josh repeats back on, and those were doing pretty well for a while. They had to have done at least a full run of the show. Maybe Nick should just dig into their library during the weekdays. Perhaps air A:TLA alongside Korra repeats?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

They should be airing more of their shows during the week. Instead of Spongebob onslaught, they could always air Rugrats or Rocko. At least give the illusion that they have other shows.

About Avatar, you're right. Air it weekday afternoons and pair it with TMNT. Then you might have a solid action block to advertise your new shows.