How is Nick Doing?

Started by talonmalon333, June 23, 2014, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

How is Nickelodeon doing when it comes to non-SpongeBob cartoons lately, at least in terms of popularity?

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

That should have gone without saying
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daxdiv

Let's see, the only one I keep tabs on is the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cartoon. I tried watching Breadwinners... I honestly didn't know what the hell I watched when I did that. Korra quality is like a roller coaster and I don't mean that in a good way, Sanjay and Craig is OK, other than that, I don't really care.

I honestly think that Disney has a better hand when it comes to their TV animation department over Nickelodeon, I'll even go farther and say I would rather watch most of Disney's pre-school stuff over Nick's current crop as well.

talonmalon333

I honestly really wonder what Nickelodeon is going to do when SpongeBob's popularity runs out. Are they just quietly dreading the day that happens?

It's literally been nearly 25 years since they came out with a show that was able to come close to peak SpongeBob's success.

Spark Of Spirit

Nick is in a really bad spot outside of Spongebob. TMNT is doing okay, but that's about all the positive news.

Their live action stuff is tanking except for Sam & Cat which is ironically most likely not going to get renewed, and their animation is failing in the ratings.

They need an overhaul desperately.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

What they need is an animated show that they can really market. They should get on that soon. SpongeBob's ratings are slowly declining, so they'll just have to accept that it's only a matter of time now. If this series makes it to season 15, I'd be surprised, unless the next movie gives it a big boost in popularity.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 06:12:09 PM
Nick is in a really bad spot outside of Spongebob. TMNT is doing okay, but that's about all the positive news.

Their live action stuff is tanking except for Sam & Cat which is ironically most likely not going to get renewed, and their animation is failing in the ratings.

Yeah, Nick at this point does feel a little weak at this point. I agree that Sam & Cat is what I would call their main show, but considering how there have been disputes between Jennette McCurdy and Ariana Grande and the fact that the latter's music career is taking off pretty well (Seriously, Problem is getting some major airwaves time on the radio).... Dan better have something else to sell to Nickelodeon in the near future.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 23, 2014, 06:24:52 PM
What they need is an animated show that they can really market. They should get on that soon. SpongeBob's ratings are slowly declining, so they'll just have to accept that it's only a matter of time now. If this series makes it to season 15, I'd be surprised, unless the next movie gives it a big boost in popularity.
This is why you should nurture talent and grow fan-bases instead of throwing talent away and telling your audience that they need to be a specific age to count.

Nick has earned the problems they have.

Quote from: Daxdiv on June 23, 2014, 06:29:39 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 06:12:09 PM

Yeah, Nick at this point does feel a little weak at this point. I agree that Sam & Cat is what I would call their main show, but considering how there have been disputes between Jennette McCurdy and Ariana Grande and the fact that the latter's music career is taking off pretty well (Seriously, Problem is getting some major airwaves time on the radio).... Dan better have something else to sell to Nickelodeon in the near future.
They made a really big mistake in extending the first season order to 40(!) episodes without even attempting to get anyone to sign a contract for a season 2. Not sure what they were thinking with that.

Overwork, under-appreciation, and bad management and planning is Nickelodeon's signature, it seems.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 06:35:23 PMThis is why you should nurture talent and grow fan-bases instead of throwing talent away and telling your audience that they need to be a specific age to count.

Nick has earned the problems they have.

I know that. They deserve the failure status that they've gained. To be honest, if Nickelodeon died, I wouldn't be too affected. I mostly just feel bad for SpongeBob because that series is basically suffering the consequences of Nick being so bad. The show had three seasons of 10/10 material, but because the channel has nothing else to come close to its appeal, they've been squeezing the life out of SpongeBob so far beyond what it's lifespan should have been.

gunswordfist

I wouldn't mind if CN bought them and then basically Nicktoons Network and Boomerang combined, especially since NTN is my favorite Nick channel these days.

Avaitor

Their most popular shows outside of SpongeBob are Fairly Odd Parents, which most people don't realize is still on, and Sam & Cat, which is all but over.

But yeah, if Nick wants to make the next SpongeBob, they really need to stop picking up existing franchises and shows from Dreamworks, and focus on making killer originals again. CN and Disney aren't having problems doing that, while Nick hasn't had a hit original toon in years. Sanjay & Craig has barely caught on.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

..Fairly OddParents is still on?!

I liked it when Nick was actually all about original cartoons. Then they started picking up Marvel cartoons (maybe just one, but still) and anime. Wolverine, Naruto and DBZ Kai aren't bad but I can't help but feel they lost their vision when that happen. Kind of like how Toonami was still good with Samurai Jack on it but it seemed like they just started to put on whatever on the block.

talonmalon333

They are just scrambling for whatever shows they can find. But they really can't market anime.

gunswordfist