How is Nick Doing?

Started by talonmalon333, June 23, 2014, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, they had Wolverine and the Iron Man show, but that was on the Nicktoons channel, which is fine, but stuff like that just doesn't seem to fit with regular Nick.

And I'm not saying that action shows don't fit with Nick. I'm not a Danny Phantom fan, but it and Avatar fit just fine on the network. But licensed properties? I'm not so sure.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I hate Danny Phantom but I know what you mean. Licensed shows do feel out of place. All the other major toon networks just plain do it better.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I thought the licensed shows were stopped because they were flopping. Penguins was the only outright success (because they're the only decent thing about any of those movies) and they just weren't worth the hassle in the long run.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I thought the Kung-Fu Panda and TMNT shows had been doing okay, as well. But I wouldn't be too surprised if they're cutting back.

Like, the Monsters vs. Aliens show, for example. Why? The movie wasn't that successful, yet Nick picked it up without hesitation.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I thought Kung-Fu Panda as a whole hadn't been preforming as well as Dreamworks has hoped, though I think it's mainly because they push it like their Madagascar-style properties when its not the same audience. I haven't heard much about the show in a long time, honestly, because I don't think fans of the movies have much interest in the TV show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I wouldn't know. I either lost Nick years ago or I just stopped watching them up until recently where I just tuned in for Korra.

Avaitor

Korra's another one. The first season did really well, but the second kind of tanked.

Although to be fair, there's a lot of factors as to why- the long wait, the frequent time switches, lesser quality material, etc.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I actually don't even remember what channel number Nickelodeon is.

gunswordfist

Who remembers channel numbers these days? Between favorite button and DVR, I don't bother.

Another factor about Korra is I'm sure people got sick of Korra not listening. At least based off of a forum I saw. Also, it seems like most like Wan more than her, making Beginnings a bit of a double edged sword that made people hate Korra a bit more.

Spark Of Spirit

Korra had a lot of second season problems, and I would say they all contributed to its problems. But I'd also say not ever giving the show reruns probably hurt, too.

Nick really didn't help it out when they could have.

gunswordfist

They really didn't show reruns? I stopped paying attention to Nick again after the season ended.And yeah, I don't think anyone is arguing that all those reasons contributed to that. I'm just hearing about this but I'm not too too surprised. The first half of Book 2 was kind of painful to watch.

Avaitor

They didn't show too many repeats of the original Avatar, either. Which is stupid, since these are the kinds of shows that you need to catch up on before you watch.

And is it just me, or would this conversation be better suited for another thread?

New blog!

gunswordfist

The bother thread, please. I'm avoiding the Avatar thread on purpose due to me wanting to go into season 3 blind. :sweat:

Avaitor

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Not bad overall. It was a good idea for a thread, anyway.

As it is, I do remember a couple of years ago when I said if Nick doesn't build anything beyond Spongebob,  FOP, and Dan Schneider, that they're going to be in serious trouble and that seems to be happening now. No brands, low ratings, and no current pop culture presence.

And I don't know why they're not panicking, honestly. Unless they do something soon, they're going to go so far under that they're never going to be able to recover.