How is Nick Doing?

Started by talonmalon333, June 23, 2014, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

That's definitely true, and the three properties in question (if you can count Schneider's oeuvre as a property in general) aren't setting the world on fire anymore.

I don't really keep up with the ratings for the networks, but I would not be surprised if Adventure Time really is more popular with kids than the sponge is at this point.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 09:17:32 PM
No brands, low ratings, and no current pop culture presence.

They do have those things. They have SpongeBob and...................................................

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 23, 2014, 09:17:32 PM
And I don't know why they're not panicking, honestly. Unless they do something soon, they're going to go so far under that they're never going to be able to recover.

Well, they still have life in them for at least a few more years, as long as they have SpongeBob and...................................................

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on June 23, 2014, 09:20:31 PM
That's definitely true, and the three properties in question (if you can count Schneider's oeuvre as a property in general) aren't setting the world on fire anymore.

I don't really keep up with the ratings for the networks, but I would not be surprised if Adventure Time really is more popular with kids than the sponge is at this point.
It's funny, because Nick used to be the one known for being the most wild and out of the box of the family channels and now they're by far the most predictable.

When was the last time they had a truly original idea for a show? Avatar? A show they don't even advertise or push? That should say a lot.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

It seems like the last time Nick made a show that got above average ratings was Fairly Odd Parents.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 23, 2014, 09:36:45 PM
It seems like the last time Nick made a show that got above average ratings was Fairly Odd Parents.
Jimmy Neutron and Avatar did well for them as well, if we're only talking about cartoons.

Besides those? Holy shit, I'm not sure. We've mentioned Penguins of Madagascar before, but they don't own that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

And now just about nobody seems to know that the show is still on. It also outran two other Butch Hartman shows that he made.

I do wonder why they never seemed to try to get Hillenburg or some of the 90s guard to create a new show for them. They seem to have no interest in trying new things or seeing if they can get fresh material from old faces.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on June 23, 2014, 09:38:34 PM
Jimmy Neutron and Avatar did well for them as well, if we're only talking about cartoons.

Besides those? Holy shit, I'm not sure. We've mentioned Penguins of Madagascar before, but they don't own that.

I feel like cartoons are a bit more important here because they seem easier for Nick to market, which is why I kept the topic to them.

Also, it really shows the state of current Nick knowing that all of those shows came out at least a decade ago.

Avaitor

And they did kind of do that with Sanjay & Craig, which you can see how that's turning out for them.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on June 23, 2014, 09:41:40 PM
And they did kind of do that with Sanjay & Craig, which you can see how that's turning out for them.
Seems like the most random choice for a show.

They should have stuck to live action, IMO.

Avaitor

I went on their Wiki page, and it's kind of depressing. Pete & Pete and what I've seen of Kablam! are still good, and I always thought that the Inside Out Boy shorts were cute, but their other work?

Besides S&C, they used to write for the Naked Brothers Band, and wrote the first Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. As well as made a show for The N that I never even heard of.

New blog!

talonmalon333

How long has SpongeBob been Nick's most popular show? Since 2000?

Thinking of that, it almost seems like it'll never end.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on June 23, 2014, 09:49:17 PM
I went on their Wiki page, and it's kind of depressing. Pete & Pete and what I've seen of Kablam! are still good, and I always thought that the Inside Out Boy shorts were cute, but their other work?

Besides S&C, they used to write for the Naked Brothers Band, and wrote the first Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. As well as made a show for The N that I never even heard of.
Judging from that it seems like Alvin is a more likely reason for why the show got picked up than Kablam! or Pete & Pete.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 23, 2014, 09:49:43 PM

1999, I think.

That's right, the 90s still has their hooks in the network.  :D

talonmalon333

No matter what it is now, SpongeBob does stick out in modern Nickelodeon, because it's still rooted in 90s Nick. There's a two decade gap in terms of style between SpongeBob and everything else on the network.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 23, 2014, 09:49:43 PM

I think SpongeBob officially usurped the title from Rugrats after the Wild Thornberrys crossover movie tanked. Which I believe is 2003.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I wonder what will happen if the next SpongeBob movie tanks.