Popular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 24, 2014, 06:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 18, 2014, 09:40:46 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 18, 2014, 09:12:44 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on June 25, 2014, 03:24:46 AM
The Sonic OVA is awesome, and that should've been turned into a full series than Sonic X

Just noticed this. Is that really a popular opinion? I feel like the people who have seen it (which isn't a huge number) seem to think it's just "pretty good", an opinion on it that I myself hold.

But yeah, my popular opinion is that, at the very least, Sonic X was bad.
The OVA had the best framework. Tone, art style, music, action, and comedy were all as close to the classic games as you can get without going too dark or too goofy.

SatAM was too serious and not much like the games, AoSTH had even less to do with the games and was too wacky, and Sonic X was just a misfire. Nobody even knows what the deal was with Sonic Underground.

The OVA hit closest to the target. So, of course, they didn't go ahead with making it a show.

There's also the fact that X, as close as it was to the games superficially, was partly responsible for the bad portrayals of the cast in the mid-00's (i.e Knuckles being an overly gullible idiot, Shadow being over-powered and one-note, Amy being a generic annoying yandere, and Cream being...Cream). Sonic Boom just looks to be more of the same.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 18, 2014, 09:26:54 PM
Why is it so damn hard to get a decent Sonic cartoon? And no, I don't consider Sonic SatAM to be very good. It was a nice effort, and arguably good for its time, but the writing of that show just hasn't aged well. I've heard that the comics are better, and maybe that's true, but I've seen enough of the show to know that it's not what I want from a Sonic cartoon. The OVA came closest in tone and execution to what I'd expect from a decent Sonic cartoon.

I honestly lost track of Sonic Boom, so I'm not even sure if that aired already, but regardless, it doesn't look up my alley either.

SatAM was just a generic furry-animal cartoon with Sonic slapped on it that only gets praised because it was "dark" at the time. I remember the comics being very fluctuating in quality and had way too much relationship bullshit, but I hear it's supposed to have gotten better after the Megaman crossover.

I'd also like to mention that the OVA is not only the only legitimately good Sonic cartoon, but it's also the only one to have Metal Sonic. I believe these two facts are related.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 18, 2014, 10:30:02 PM
Good stuff. I agree.

Quote from: Avaitor on September 18, 2014, 10:20:26 PM-Although a lot of the shows from the era aren't perfect, the first handful of Nicktoons do deserve credit for having a wide range of tone, style, and atmosphere from each other. While most of Disney and Warner's cartoons from the same period were also good, you could tell that they came form the same company, while Doug, Rugrats, and Ren & Stimpy each feel like day and night from each other. Things only started to blend together during Klasky-Csupo overload, and even then, Angry Beavers and SpongeBob felt nothing like those shows.
This was Nick's strength, I agree. They always had variety and options, and always appeared to be interested in trying new things. Hence Avatar, the Power Rangers acquisition, and the new TMNT show. They do try.

Or I should say, tried. Nick has barely been trying much at all the past couple of years. How many originals do they have currently running on a regular basis? How many are different from each other? How many are actually worth watching?

I could throw in N@N and wonder why it's basically become the Friends block, but I guess airing one show constantly is what they're best at now.

Like I said on another thread; they have TMNT and they have Power Rangers, there should be no reason for them to be failing this hard when any other kids network would've struck a goldmine by now.

Spark Of Spirit

They could also be airing old Power Rangers and TMNT on N@N, too.

But they're not.

Because?

Quote from: Rynnec on September 18, 2014, 10:54:27 PM
Why is it so damn hard to get a decent Sonic cartoon? And no, I don't consider Sonic SatAM to be very good. It was a nice effort, and arguably good for its time, but the writing of that show just hasn't aged well. I've heard that the comics are better, and maybe that's true, but I've seen enough of the show to know that it's not what I want from a Sonic cartoon. The OVA came closest in tone and execution to what I'd expect from a decent Sonic cartoon.

I honestly lost track of Sonic Boom, so I'm not even sure if that aired already, but regardless, it doesn't look up my alley either.

SatAM was just a generic furry-animal cartoon with Sonic slapped on it that only gets praised because it was "dark" at the time. I remember the comics being very fluctuating in quality and had way too much relationship bullshit, but I hear it's supposed to have gotten better after the Megaman crossover.

I'd also like to mention that the OVA is not only the only legitimately good Sonic cartoon, but it's also the only one to have Metal Sonic. I believe these two facts are related.
Also, the superior old school Metal Sonic design.

I'm not one of those redesign haters who scream GREEN EYES or whatever, but I've never liked Modern Metal Sonic's look. Too clunky looking.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Nick doesn't know how to plan or use their resources well.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 18, 2014, 11:06:27 PM

I'm not one of those redesign haters who scream GREEN EYES or whatever, but I've never liked Modern Metal Sonic's look. Too clunky looking.

Are you talking about his Neo Metal Sonic design in Heroes? Because I'm actually pretty cool with that one.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on September 18, 2014, 11:27:58 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 18, 2014, 11:06:27 PM

Are you talking about his Neo Metal Sonic design in Heroes? Because I'm actually pretty cool with that one.
Yeah, it just doesn't do it for me.

I prefer these:

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Fair enough. I've always been in the minority that loved Neo Metal's design and wish it had been used more. It had a nice, over-the-top look to it and had a few resemblances to S3&K Mecha Sonic, which is always a plus.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on September 18, 2014, 10:20:26 PM
-The reason that Warner's theatrical short characters have endured more than Disney's in terms of character, not as mascots, is beyond just Disney's weak television scheduling- the Looney Tunes are just better than Disney's stuff.

I'd have to think about that. Some of Disney's old animated shorts are really, really funny.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 21, 2014, 08:56:55 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on September 18, 2014, 10:20:26 PM
-The reason that Warner's theatrical short characters have endured more than Disney's in terms of character, not as mascots, is beyond just Disney's weak television scheduling- the Looney Tunes are just better than Disney's stuff.

I'd have to think about that. Some of Disney's old animated shorts are really, really funny.
Yeah, there are plenty of good Disney shorts. Some of Goofy's stuff is down right incredible. But I'd still take a Bugs or Daffy or Road Runner cartoon any day of the week.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

(Didn't know where to post this generic question.) What do you guys think of Beavis and Butthead?

LumRanmaYasha

I like it well enough, but it could get too repetitive and be obnoxiously immature sometimes. It's not really all that smart or as well-written as many of it's contemporaries, but it can elicit some good chuckles from the idiotic antics of the titular characters, and it's pokes at pop-culture (Music Videos in the original seasons, Reality Shows in the revived ones) always get some yuks from me as well.

Really, the best thing about Beavis and Butthead was that it allowed Daria to get made. Oh, and the movie. The movie is great too.

Avaitor

There's actually some sharp commentary in some of the series, like how the existence of Cornholio came from a report around the time stating that sugar didn't cause hyperactivity in kids, which was something Judge and crew wanted to prove was bs.

But overall, I'd say that B&B is harder to take when you're meant to laugh with them, instead of at. I'd also say that King of the Hill and Daria are much better shows.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Il

Quote from: Avaitor on September 28, 2014, 01:14:06 AMBut overall, I'd say that B&B is harder to take when you're meant to laugh with them, instead of at. I'd also say that King of the Hill and Daria are much better shows.
^This.

I had often hoped for Mike Judge to give Beavis and Butthead (and even Daria) a cameo of some sort on King of the Hill.
Why? Just because.
:D

Spark Of Spirit

It's never really done anything for me. I mean, I "get" what they're trying to do and it's well done, but I still never found myself laughing much at all.

King of the Hill and Daria were much better.

Speedy

B&B is actually much better than some critics give it credit for, but it's still a hit-or-miss show.  KOTH, Mike Judge's follow-up show, had the advantage of a much larger, more varied cast and richer humor because of it.

Commode

I liked Beavis and Butthead because it was to MTV what The Simpsons was to Fox, it ripped on the network and the culture of the people who watched the network.  Both it and Daria suffer somewhat though because they are very much products of their time.  Even the revival from a couple of years back, while good, was just taking the 90's slacker attitude and putting it in contrast with the Teen Mom/16 and Pregnant/Jersey Shore crowd.  And I think that's why it wasn't as succesful as they had hoped it'd be, people have more or less moved on from it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.