Popular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 24, 2014, 06:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter Valentine

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, I'm occasionally thought about how Daria's become irrelevant in recent times. Back then, the snarky girl in glasses thing was more fun because it was supposed to challenge prior ideals. Now, it's hard for other people to look at her archetype without thinking of the social justice stigma. Hearing some teenage girl in glasses talk about how other people suck now comes across as annoying because it's now become as much of a cliche as the dumb footballer or passive-aggressive teacher stereotypes the show made fun of.

gunswordfist

king of the hill, batman tbatb and genndy's dexter's lab are very consistent shows.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I have to admit, I'm not sure if I'd consider even the Genndy run to be very consistent. McCracken's Powerpuff Girls and the whole of Ed, Edd n' Eddy tend to have a stronger hit to miss ratio to what I've seen lately.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

i don't remember anyone complaining about the dexter's consistency and i haven't seen much of ppg and eene in years so i cannot comment on them.

gunswordfist

i wonder if i can add dan vs. to the list.

Avaitor

Can I talk about how thankful I am for Archer?

I really feel like it's helped to change adult animation for the better. For a while, the blueprint for these kinds of series went from the satire that made The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and South Park nailed to [adult swim] absurdism and Family Guy crudeness, all for the lack of quality. Obviously Space Ghost and some of William Streets' earlier series stand up as stronger, but shows like these mostly weren't very good.

But it feels like with Archer, and also Venture Brothers, that we're going back towards more character-based humor in western adult animation, and all for the better. While Venture is definitely important for its love of pop culture, I believe that Archer's nihilism is what makes it stand out, and can definitely be felt in Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman. Even Bob's Burgers shares a similar taste for deconstructing its characters that Archer does on the regular.

We still get some Williams Street and MacFarlane wannabes, primarily from WS and MacFarlane themselves, but most of these are tanking in comparison. If we can get more Archers and Venture Brothers, and Rick and Mortys, which we are, we'll be much better off.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

I'm thankful for Archer simply because it's the funniest damn TV series I've ever seen. :D Six seasons in and, outside of a couple running gags in Vice, it's never once gotten old to me.

Peanutbutter

South Park's last season was spectacular and revitalized the crap out of themselves with the addition of P.C. Principal. I say that as someone who doesn't even like South Park that much, but if they actually continue in this direction like the finale implied that could very well change.

Avaitor

When all is said and done about Ren & Stimpy, "Space Madness" and "Stimpy's Invention" are two of the finest cartoons of the modern age.

New blog!

Avaitor

But this is still the best thing Nickelodeon has ever done.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Quote from: Avaitor on March 09, 2016, 06:51:37 PM
But this is still the best thing Nickelodeon has ever done.

I swear that cartoons that do episodes about making cartoons are always entertaining. Be it Wacky Delly, that episode of Kirby! Right Back At Ya! where they made a cartoon, or even Stimpy's Cartoon, they're all right. But Wacky Delly still was the greatest one of them all and I still stand by it being the greatest thing that has ever aired on Nick proper.

Commode

When the heck did "Wacky Delly" ever air on modern Nickelodeon?  Unless that gif was made from an international version of the channel.  Just a little strange seeing the newer Nick logo on it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.