Opinions on Continuity in Fiction

Started by talonmalon333, June 24, 2014, 09:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 24, 2014, 11:09:22 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 24, 2014, 11:04:38 PM
I think they said that the movie is the technical series finale of Spongebob and every episode takes place before it, so it doesn't make much of a difference. Plus, I think the new movie is a sequel to the first movie, so that might push that idea further.

But like I said, the later seasons feel so different in terms of style. So to me, it feels really jarring putting them before the movie. Also, I have a feeling the next movie will have nothing to do with the first movie, if only to make it it's own self-contained SpongeBob story. The fact that they are using CGI makes it seem even more disconnected. It probably won't affect anything in terms of story.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 24, 2014, 11:04:38 PMAlso, with Star Wars, I didn't just mean the movies. I mean EVERYTHING. It's not like we can just pretend Timothy Zahn's material is canon when Disney went out of their way to make his works less important than the prequels by keeping those canon and not all the stuff he did.

What is his material?
The big one is the Thrawn trilogy. But he's also responsible for a lot of tweaks to the universe with his books that Lucas ended up taking for granted and ignoring.

Most fans like his stuff, which is why I guess they decided to take it out of canon. Star Wars has had a history of not liking its fans.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 24, 2014, 11:24:44 PM
Didn't he, like, die? As in, was sliced in half and then knocked into a dark hole to never be seen again?
That's the point.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

So what Star Wars EU stuff is considered good besides KOTOR and the Thrawn trilogy?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 24, 2014, 11:44:36 PM
So what Star Wars EU stuff is considered good besides KOTOR and the Thrawn trilogy?
My point is that they didn't really sift through any of it and just sort of went with the prequels and the old trilogy. It would have been nice for them to at least try.

To be honest, I'm not the most familiar with Star Wars in general, but I do know that there was much better stuff than the prequel trilogy even if I haven't read or seen any of it in a dog's age.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I think that Lucas just doesn't care about whatever other people have written. To him, his movies are the canon. It also makes sense that he would want to leave things open for the sequel trilogy, to avoid potentially clashing with material others have written.

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 24, 2014, 11:44:36 PM

Republic Commando (videogame, not the book series), Most of the Boba Fett solo comics, The Clone Wars cartoon and comics released in '02-'05, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron, the Jedi Knight games, That one-shot comic where Darth Vader fights Darth Maul.

gunswordfist

I still need to get Republic Commando. That demo rocked.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While the story wasn't anything spectacular, Jedi Starfighter was also an awesome game, while we're on the subject.

talonmalon333

Sequels to Don Bluth Movies

It's the same deal as the Disney DTV sequels. They're just nonsense, especially all those Land Before Time sequels. Though I don't really know anything about the An American Tail sequels, so I can't speak for them.

Spark Of Spirit

The American Tail sequels had effort put into them, but they're chronologically confusing despite being aimed at small kids. People do debate on which is the better of the first two, I've noticed.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 30, 2014, 03:06:49 PM
The American Tail sequels had effort put into them, but they're chronologically confusing despite being aimed at small kids. People do debate on which is the better of the first two, I've noticed.

First two sequels, you mean?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 30, 2014, 03:11:58 PM

Movies. I was also thinking of that TV show.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 30, 2014, 04:03:38 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 30, 2014, 03:11:58 PM

Movies. I was also thinking of that TV show.

So the first An American Tail isn't the unanimous favorite?

Avaitor

I remember liking Fievel Goes West about as much, if not more, than An American Tale.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Did Don Bluth have anything to do with it?