Started by Pharass, July 19, 2014, 06:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I'm scared to click that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Pharass

Quote from: Cartoon X on July 19, 2014, 10:41:22 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 19, 2014, 10:31:50 PM
I was wondering if that is, perchance, the very same Osamu Dezaki who is credited as the series director for Ashita no Joe (based on my favorite manga)? If so, what other stuff has he worked on that you would recommend? I'd love to check them out.

Pharass can probably tell you about more of Dezaki's stuff than I can, but I personally know Dezaki worked on The Rose of Versailles, which is considered one of the greatest anime and shojo series ever, Aim for the Ace!, a classic highly influential shojo tennis series, as well as the Dororo and Space Adventure Cobra anime. Having seen the latter two, I'd recommend anyone check 'em out (as for myself, I've been meaning to watch ROV and Ace! for ages, which is why I know so much about them).

Rose of Versailles is very good and a series I'd recommend to anyone who wants to watch a good historical-fiction anime with a great female lead. That said, when I watched it, a few years back, I really wished I could reach into the show and slap some sense into Marie-Antoinette, but I digress.

Haven't seen Aim for the Ace, have to check it out when I get the time.

I'm far from being an expert on Osamu Dezaki, but I do enjoy his visual style a lot. The guy really had a knack for turning the technological limitations of 70's-80's anime to his advantage. At any rate, I can't think of any other anime director who used freeze-frames as effectively as Dezaki.

Thank you all for the kind words about the blog. I'm glad you like it and hope that you'll stop by whenever you're in the mood. Incidentally, I just published my list (in no particular order) of my favorite animated shows created in the past five years. Some of the entries may be completely obvious to you, while others are hopefully a surprise. Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys think.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

Cool list!  :) I enjoy pretty much all of those series a lot, myself. The only one I haven't heard of The Book of Bantorra, but it sounds interesting. I'll give it a look sometime!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great list! I still need to watch most of those shows, though.

Dr. Insomniac

Watched and enjoyed most of that list. Good selection there.

Avaitor

Great list! And now I have more stuff to keep in mind to check out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Pharass

I have a huge backlog of video-games that I haven't finished yet (mostly due to laziness). However, I recently did complete a game; namely, The Wolf Among Us from Telltale Games and of course, I've written about it on the blog. Check it out and I hope you enjoy it (if not, constructive criticism is always welcome).
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

what kind of games does your backlog have?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Pharass

RPGs and adventure-games mostly.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

You wrote a great review for The Wolf Among Us! It makes me want to explore the adventure genre even more, and the screenshots used are gorgeous.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that you linked to Antagony & Ecstasy in your recommended pages tag. That's a fun blog to pursue!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Pharass

Quote from: Avaitor on August 17, 2014, 04:10:24 PM
You wrote a great review for The Wolf Among Us! It makes me want to explore the adventure genre even more, and the screenshots used are gorgeous.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that you linked to Antagony & Ecstasy in your recommended pages tag. That's a fun blog to pursue!

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.

Yeah, A & E is a great blog, my favorite part of it is the Disney Retrospective series which I found very interesting to read.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Insomniac

I see Baka-Raptor on your links, but Flawfinder? I don't like what he says about a few series like Kara no Kyoukai, since he comes off as condescending instead of willing to engage a show.

Foggle

Great blog! I've been meaning to play The Wolf Among Us forever; glad to know it's good! I added a link to your page from ours. :)

Pharass

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 20, 2014, 02:17:44 PM
I see Baka-Raptor on your links, but Flawfinder? I don't like what he says about a few series like Kara no Kyoukai, since he comes off as condescending instead of willing to engage a show.

I usually find Flawfinder worth reading, even if I don't always agree with his opinions. Of course, you can say that about pretty much any blogger I've linked to. Although, some I agree more frequently with than others.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Insomniac

Couldn't find a way to comment on your blog, so I'll leave this here.

Looking at lists like these makes me feel ashamed of my own reading habits. Closest I've read out of that list is the first half of Don Quixote. And that was a while ago. I do hope to rectify that and get to these works once the backlog clears up.