Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!

Started by Daikun, July 28, 2014, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

You know what? While I didn't hate the designs, I was caught by surprise with this. It wasn't just good, it was GREAT. I had numerous chuckles and some good laughs at this. I loved Daphne's puppetry. Too bad it most likely just for this episode, but I'm sure there will be other good gimmicks like that. Regardless what people still think about the style of the show, the monsters as shown in the intro looked well done. A couple like the ghost in today's episode even strongly resemble the original bad guys. They also seem genuinely creepy and menacing which really impressed me. In other words, yeah one episode and I'm sold. This is the good Lighter and Softer counterpart to Mystery Inc.'s Darker and Edgier narrative.

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 05, 2015, 06:56:44 PM
Then Peanut-Butter has found his COTY :kabapu:

Nope, that's Steven Universe.  :thumbup:

gunswordfist

Sound like Nick TMNT in comparison to 2K3 TMNT.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I saw some of this, too.

It's basically family friendly Family Guy. Didn't like it at all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I wanted to watch a little Scooby-Doo to get me pumped for Halloween, so I decided to watch the first episode of this. But yeah, I don't think Spark is too far-off by calling it Family Guy for kids.

I respect that they wanted to take the show in a different direction following Mystery Incorporated, but I guess that is more to my taste for the franchise, since that, Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost are my favorite Scooby things, along with Ghoul School and a little of WAY/Scooby-Doo Show for nostalgia's sake. That, or the style of humor isn't for me. Maybe I'll give it more of a shot soon, but I think I'll watch some of what I listed above for now instead.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

It's been cancelled.

Also, Boomerang will be airing the rest of season 1 on Tuesday from 2-5AM, although they're already available on the Boomerang app. I wouldn't be surprised if season 2 becomes app-exclusive.

Avaitor

I'm not too too sad, but I do think it's a bit of a shame. I think the show was becoming more entertaining than we gave it credit for, and I'm curious to see if season 2 expands on that.

But the reason that I'm not heartbroken is because I feel like the next Scooby series could really knock it out of the park beyond this one. Let's hope that Warner continues to find interesting ways to evolve the franchise.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daikun

Spark Of Spirit

The show was getting better, and it actually was a lot more like P&F as it went along, but I never really cared all that much for it. Still, I thought it was doing decently. CN (and WB) just don't treat their legacy properties all that well. I don't think Wabbit got near the respect it deserved for being so well done, and I know they futzed around a lot with Tom & Jerry. They just can't allow these properties to reach the audiences they should be able to reach. It's bizarre.

QuoteAnimation (especially kids animation) is made up of a bunch of artists who went to art school and they're brilliant, trained artists, not writers - which takes JUST as much training and practice. It's the old cliche - EVERYBODY thinks they're a writer because words on a page look like words on a page - unlike ART, which you can tell when someone has gone to school and is trained and learned the craft of drawing and animating. They all think, "I'm funny! I can write this!"  without having any idea what there-act structure is, what character arcs are, how to create character driven comedy, how to structure and build a story and keep your character's voices and action unique and individual to that character.
Case in point: John K. and his acolytes. Animation needs strong writing to go along with the pretty pictures, guys.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Wish this had been done a while ago like when they had the first four DTV movies, but this looks like a lot of fun! Glad 13 Ghosts is finally getting the series finale it was robbed of.

Now if aside Vincent Van Ghoul and Flim Flam we could see the hot minx from Boo Brothers I'll be a happy camper.

Avaitor

Interesting. I've actually watched a little of the original on Boomerang recently, and it's not that bad. The stories are a little more clever than they had been with previous Scooby series, Van Ghoul is fun, and even Scrappy is a little subdued.

This is obviously a bit overdue, but I'm curious.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Yeah, it really wasn't a bad show. Scrappy in particular is at his best in it. He's not annoying whatsoever like he could get at times in his first series and his specials. Flim Flam took that role, but he doesn't bring the whole show down at all.

LumRanmaYasha

This is a great idea for a film, and I'm looking forward to it! Though I hope they don't short-change Scrappy. He was a part of the original show, so he should be included in the film too. The vendetta against him is getting in the way of telling good stories with him and redeeming the character's reputation, which I think is a real shame, because there was a lot to like about him that gets overshadowed by the meme of him always being annoying.

Avaitor

Not only would I bring Scrappy back, but I'd honestly make it closer to the original and just write out Fred and Velma for this one. They don't really have any reason to be here, but I can understand why they're here anyway, since Warner probably wants to get as much out of Frank Welker as they can before he passes.

New blog!