Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!

Started by Daikun, July 28, 2014, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

I'm creating a new thread for this show so it doesn't get lumped in with the Wabbit discussion (which is where it started).

Warner Bros. released this teaser image months ago:

Now the designs for the rest of the Scooby gang have been revealed.

There's also more info on the show here.

They're bringing the tone back to its 1960s roots. It's not going to be a darker interpretation like Mystery, Inc.

Dr. Insomniac

So who let Seth MacFarlane make a Scooby-Doo cartoon?

LumRanmaYasha

I am not a fan of those designs. I can't really see this turning out very good.

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on July 28, 2014, 07:38:33 PMI am not a fan of those designs. I can't really see this turning out very good.

In the Wabbit thread, I joke-observed that it looked like they lobotomized Scooby when that poster was released.

And now that this new picture is out, it really does seem like the case. He looks even DUMBER now.

It makes me feel sorry for Scoob, looking at that. :shit:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 28, 2014, 07:30:02 PM
So who let Seth MacFarlane make a Scooby-Doo cartoon?
That was my first exact thought.

Ugly designs.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

I don't mind the designs, I just hope the writing is actually funny if they're supposed to be playing up the comedy this time around.

Avaitor

As much as I liked Mystery Incorporated, a return to the franchise's comedic roots sounds like a logical conclusion for this series.

But these designs, yee-ikes. How can anyone like them?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on July 29, 2014, 12:46:51 PM
As much as I liked Mystery Incorporated, a return to the franchise's comedic roots sounds like a logical conclusion for this series.

But these designs, yee-ikes. How can anyone like them?

Because to others like  myself, they really don't look that bad? I've seen some people on other boards say they don't mind the designs, a few even said they liked them. At any rate, I don't think the designs matter as much as how the writing is. If it's snappy and well done like Gravity Fall it'll be good, if it's lame like Teen Titans Go! became after the first few episodes, not so much.

Spark Of Spirit

"We're going for a simplistic, edgy design to match the comedy styling" is not really a confidence builder for me, personally. Scooby Doo has always been scatter-shot when it comes to quality, but this really isn't the direction I prefer.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

This just looks like it's going to be obnoxious and the characters are going to be stupid for the sake of being stupid.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

LumRanmaYasha

The more I look at them, the more the designs remind me a bit of Rick and Morty, in a way. It feels, like with TTG!, they've simplified the designs to make the cost of making the show cheaper, and obviously, it's easier to get away with being cheap if you're playing up the comedy aspect of the series and downplaying the mysteries and such. In any case, I'll give it a fair shot when it airs and all, but I just don't think "edgy" modern cartoon comedy and Scooby Doo is going to make for a particularly good mix.

hobbyfan

Quote from: Comeau on July 29, 2014, 02:42:12 PM
This just looks like it's going to be obnoxious and the characters are going to be stupid for the sake of being stupid.

Comeau, I think you just hit the nail on the head. This was ordered, methinks, before Stupid Snyder left CN, so this is his way of saying thanks.

Daphne baring her legs and she's not on the beach? The designs play her as being at least 13, not 18. Her biggest asset is her legs, usually wrapped in purple (or pink) nylons/tights. This is a fail.

gunswordfist

i thought mystery inc. was comedic. i guess it went dark when i stopped watching.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Mystery Inc. was hardly a Bruce Timm show, but you really did stop before it picked up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody