Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!

Started by Daikun, July 28, 2014, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 04, 2014, 09:55:01 PMi thought mystery inc. was comedic. i guess it went dark when i stopped watching.

It plays more like a deconstruction of Scooby-Doo.

Lord Il

Quote from: Daikun on July 28, 2014, 07:27:26 PMNow the designs for the rest of the Scooby gang have been revealed.

???
I'm now even further from liking the character design work.

Phucking hell... ! Nooooo!
So wrong I can't even.... pfffffttt........!!!!!

Sorry, my rage meter has gone through the roof on this. I'm gonna try pacifying myself with an ice cream sandwich or two. Ice cream sandwiches fix everything, right?
  :e_tongue:

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, letting those designs sit a while...

Still think they're awful.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

RacattackForce

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 04, 2014, 09:55:01 PM
i thought mystery inc. was comedic. i guess it went dark when i stopped watching.
The show underwent some massive Cerebus Syndrome after the season one finale.

Spark Of Spirit

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy, Scooby-Doo! would have been a better title.

Especially if Jun Senoue was doing the music.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Be cool, Honey Bunny.

Not sure if this is the right place to mention this (we don't have a general Scooby thread, and I don't really feel the need to make one, tbh), but I actually picked up that recent puppet special because it was $2 at WalMart this weekend.

It was okay, I guess. I was marginally interested in it since the puppet designs look cute, and the effects were done well enough. The jokes were more or less what you'd expect, but like most pieces of work, at least a couple end up working. But the pacing was crap. This is basically a two-part episode with a dance number ala A Pup Named added in, but both parts dragged enough that I couldn't help but wonder if it would have worked better as a half hour special, since Warner's actually doing that now alongside their traditional movies. The other main problem I had was Velma's voice. The rest of the cast was traditionally solid, but Velma had this weird, cutesy lisp added which was annoying as hell to deal with.

Still, with some fine tuning, I think that more puppet Scooby stories would be a welcome change of pace from the bland movies and whatever this show is going to become. I probably wouldn't spend more than $2 on another release, but if Warner tries another special, I'd give it a shot at some point.

Also, it came with a couple of older Scooby episodes. One of which was a classic Where Are You?, and I have the same opinion on it the show that I've always had- it's an okay distraction, but I'd much rather watch Mystery Incorporated, the late 90's/early 00's movies, or, y'no, one of the HB shows that's actually better. Then there was an episode of Pup, which still has some of that Ruegger charm, but yikes, the animation doesn't hold up. Some of it is pretty embarrassing, in fact.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nameless

I watched a clip of Pup on YouTube not long ago. The animation did seem kind of shoddy to me. H-B's production qualities seemed to be deteriorating even further in the last few years that Taft/Great American owned the studio - I watched an episode of the ill-fated Yo Yogi! that was riddled with mistakes.

Avaitor

Yeah, I actually watched some of Yo Yogi! for a project on the blog that never came into fruition. It wasn't very sharp on any level.

Pup is another show from that era which has the distinction of having its opening credits contain tighter animation than the show itself. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the sequence of Daphne powdering her face while leaping in the air gives her more character than the whole of the show does.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Test footage of the show has been posted.

Considering the negative reception this show's designs initially got, this bit of footage has a surprisingly decent reception from what I've seen. Although personally, I wasn't impressed. Maybe if I hear Frank and Grey like I'm supposed to, I'll warm up to the show.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

It looks okay. Average stuff. Most likely will turn out around as decent as Teen Titans Go! is.

Daikun

I wasn't expecting that kind of humor. It's surprisingly better than I thought it would be.

gunswordfist

if it is as good as teen titans go, then i will like it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

I didn't think the designs were that bad in the first place, but I'll admit Scooby's eyes will take some getting used to. As long as the writing if funny, I'll tune in. I still wish Mystery Inc. could have gotten another season. Aside from Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost, that was the best incarnation of the Scooby Doo mythos.

gunswordfist

hmmm, i wonder if witch's ghost or the aliens movie would still hold up for me. i was high on scooby at the time due to zombie's island up until that stupid vr movie killed my renewed interest in the franchise.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Confirmed for Boomerang.

Also, according to Phineas & Ferb writer Jon Colton Barry (who is also doing this series), there will be one original song per episode.