Peanuts 3D

Started by Inkwolf, August 05, 2014, 08:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkwolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FNL_iIp5c

Part of me feels this is a sacrilegious cash grab, part of me accepts that Peanuts will eventually be forgotten unless it is stuck in the face of modern kids. 

I must admit, they do a pretty good job of making the characters look true to the comic strip. On the other hand, I would feel better if the film was made by someone other than Blue Sky. They have made some fun films, but as far as I see, their writing talents lend themselves more to cheap jokes, action and slapstick than anything meaningful or emotionally resonant. The soul of Peanuts was always the underlying sense feeling a part of the characters' emotional/delusional reality. (Well, that's the closest I can come to expressing what I mean, anyway.) It was slow-paced and character-centric.  Does anyone know if Charles Schulz's estate is overseeing the production at all?

I can think of several animation studios that I would trust with Peanuts before I'd trust Blue Sky.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Avaitor

The Schulz estate is supposed to be super hands-on in the production of this film. If they trust Blue Sky, then they'll probably stick to the franchise's spirit.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Il

While it's extremely difficult to gauge what kind of quality something will be from a mere one minute trailer, this actually made me feel positive about it. I almost believe Schulz would approve of this updated CGI look. Snoopy and Charlie Brown certainly look as they should. Amazingly so.

But what I'm finding really interesting is the animation frame rate - the movement is very complimentary to the regular 2D animation counterpart. While they could've made the animation super smooth, they opted not to in order to be nostalgic of the old look. Seems they are putting some thought into it.

I have some early respect for what they're doing and I'm amazed to even be saying that! The writing is what I'm nervous about..

Inkwolf

Same here, everything you said, Lord Il.

Thanks, Avaitor, good to know someone's keeping an eye on them.  At least, even if the movie turns out not to be so good, they most likely won't mangle the characters and tone.

And I have to admit, what I see on the trailer makes me kind of feel that real Peanuts fans have a hand in this.  (Love how they even had a word balloon for Woodstock. )

Lord Il

Quote from: Inkwolf on August 05, 2014, 09:47:56 PM
(Love how they even had a word balloon for Woodstock. )
I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Nice!

Have to admit I've gotten very curious as to how the writing/directing will be handled. I'm sure many will agree that the old Peanuts cartoons were paced rather slow - this was something that made them feel unique. Today, many kids have an attention span of a goldfish, hence the sometimes breakneck speed of some modern 'toons to help keep attention up. If that same familiar slow pacing is used in this production, I'm thinking the older, longtime fans of both the comic strip and animated shows would probably enjoy this a lot more.

Inkwolf

Yes, and Peanuts has always been heavy on conversation, something you don't see in kids movies these days.

Daikun

Full trailer!

I wanna be first in line on opening day! :swoon:

Lord Il

Snoopy's imagination is just as wild as ever.

Charles Schulz would be so proud of just that trailer alone. Good stuff!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I could've done without the pop music, but other than that I'm really shocked at how good that animation looks. I never could have pictured the Peanuts working with CG animation, but somehow they pulled it off with that pseudo-2D style mixed with 3D backdrops. I can't even properly describe it, but suffice it to say that it just works.

Inkwolf

Yeah, I'm happy with the trailer. ^^

Spark Of Spirit

New Trailer!

Actually looks pretty good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

I just got back from seeing it.

Blue Sky knocked it out of the park! Go see it!

Also, a Scrat cartoon plays before the main feature. :joy:

Lord Il

^I'm really pleased to hear that. The trailers alone were stunning at keeping the look and feel of the old animated Peanuts cartoons. Wasn't too keen on their choice to use CGI at first, but they seemed to have made it work.

Mr. Big

Just saw it today. It was really good. The love and care put into this is astonishing.

Anyone who grew up with the strip (and the specials) should go check it out.

LumRanmaYasha

Saw the film with Vlord and two of our younger cousins today. I personally really enjoyed it. It was a loving tribute to the comic, did a great job recapturing the look and feel of the old specials, and the story was very Peanuts, a charming story focusing on the trials and tribulations of Charlie Brown's life. My cousins, who are about middle-school age but really love Peanuts, didn't really click with the film and only thought it was okay, so I do think nostalgia will influence how much you get out of it. Still, I highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the series, as it's a really rewarding movie if you are one.