Classic Hanna-Barbera

Started by Nameless, August 09, 2014, 07:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I would be very down for a Future Quest series or movie. I'd actually kind of prefer that to be done, and for DC to make a classic Quest-based comic series instead, actually.

The Scooby-Doo one looks like a lame attempt to cash in on the post-apocalyptic/Walking Dead fad, like a weaker Afterlife with Archie. I'd like to be proven wrong, though.

The Wacky Races one has cool designs, coming from Fury Road's designer, but I'm not sure if that's going to really work for it. I'm slightly more interested in the upcoming TV series, personally.

And from what I've gathered about the person involved for The Flintstones, that one is likely to be a respectful update of the original, which I can get behind. But the art leaves a lot to be desired right now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Wacky Racers sounds like it has potential. As for Flintstones and Scoob...the art makes me want to give them no chance.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Future Quest can really benefit from classic pulps and comics in a way the other comics really can't. Since so much of its style is straight out of that era it can really fit there like a glove. Actually that art pretty much nails it. Especially the one with Jonny, Hadji, and Space Ghost. Pitch perfect. Sort of like Darkwing Duck works because superheroes and comics are so synonymous with each other so are pulpy adventures and comics.

The others just seem like tries to appeal to a certain zeitgeist with Flintstones trying an art style that really rubs me wrong.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Does anyone else find The Jetsons to be boring? The more I think about it, the more I remember me...not having fun viewing the show. I also think George is a lame wimp.

Commode

Not anymore boring than most of the rest of the H-B shows.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

I'd disagree. Well, I can pretty much only vouch for The Flintstones, anyway.

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 04, 2016, 11:30:37 PMDoes anyone else find The Jetsons to be boring? The more I think about it, the more I remember me...not having fun viewing the show. I also think George is a lame wimp.

Well, it is The Flintstones in space, so...

Nameless

To me, the appeal of The Jetsons is in its setting. The characters were all exceedingly bland, except for Astro.

Peanutbutter

No, neither the Jetsons or Flintstones are boring.

Avaitor

I'm more of a Flintstones and Top Cat fan, but I do like the original Jetsons, as well. I mainly like the dynamic between George and Spacely, and think that Elroy is a likable character. It's not really essential, but there are some pretty good episodes in there.

The backgrounds, especially, are worth another look. Some of HB's finest.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

:kabapu: hmmm...Top Cat. That show was kid of just...there for me. Not necessarily bad. I may need to give it another shot. It did have the GOAT cartoon theme in its era.

Daikun

I'd consider Top Cat to be among H-B's best shows. The characters are certainly better written and more likable than in many of the company's other productions.

Avaitor

New blog!

Nameless

I was so tickled during that time Choo Choo was a Tumblr meme. I don't see him as much now...

Avaitor

From what I can see, a fair amount of the Choo Choo meme posters became low key Top Cat screencaps blogs, while the rest have kind of went their way.

It really seemed like a meme that not too many people knew what to do with. Which is fine, since it seemed to get some people interested in Top Cat again. And it's a good enough show to warrant rediscovery.

New blog!