Classic Hanna-Barbera

Started by Nameless, August 09, 2014, 07:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nameless

I feel the studio to be unfairly maligned, at least if one takes the studio's earlier product (in my mind, the absolute cutoff is the 1969 debut of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You) into consideration.

The actual writing of the cartoons can be hit-or-miss, and the animation is severely limited, but the character designs (the most iconic of which were Ed Benedict's work) and backgrounds are quite stunning. My favorite of their old characters is Quick Draw McGraw; his cartoons were mostly written by Warner Bros. alumnus Michael Maltese and he brought the same Looney Tunes mojo to them. It probably helps that Quick Draw-Baba Looey is a pretty similar dynamic to Daffy-Porky.

LumRanmaYasha

I also still enjoy early Hanna-Barbera. Johnny Quest, The Flintstones, Top Cat, and pre-80's The Jetsons hold up surprisingly well, and I've always been fond of their Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, and Tom & Jerry cartoons.

Avaitor

I'm a bit of an HB apologist, although I'm quick to call out some of their weaker points, especially when their work started to deteriorate. But I sincerely consider the Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw shows to contain some of the best deconstruction in animation. They're also pretty easy on the eyes if you can forgive the lack of Disney-esq fluidity. The character designs and backgrounds on a lot of their earlier shorts are something I always come back to.

Of course, a lot of their earlier work had top men from MGM and Warner's studios, so it's not really a surprise that there is quality to find. Even Michael Maltese handed in some strong writing to The Flintstones.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 09, 2014, 08:49:02 PM
I also still enjoy early Hanna-Barbera. Johnny Quest, The Flintstones, Top Cat, and pre-80's The Jetsons hold up surprisingly well, and I've always been fond of their Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, and Tom & Jerry cartoons.
That's pretty much the HB stuff I enjoy.

I really don't think they're all that terrible of a studio, they just became really lazy later on.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Speaking of HB, I actually just got the original Jonny Quest set for a really good price. That's going to be my thing for a while now, I'll assume.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daikun

I'm not sure whether this thread should be here or in Cartoon Network (since Turner owns the library and it runs on Boomerang), but since it's in Warner Bros...

I wish WBA would better utilize more of the H-B characters. They do Tom & Jerry and Scooby-Doo... That's it.

Avaitor

Warner licenses out the HB characters, so this thread is fine here. If you wanted to make a general Boomerang thread though (and with the current reboot happening, that's actually not a bad idea...), I would definitely recommend that it goes to the CN board.

But yeah, Warner could do more with the HB characters. I know they have those Flintstones movies, the theatrical one and the WWE DTV, coming out, so that'a step forward. Since MacFarlane left the TV reboot, maybe they can try another show instead. I mean, even if you're not an HB fan, you have to admit that there's more Warner can do than just make Scooby, Tom & Jerry, and Looney Tunes reboots.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Quote from: Daikun on August 11, 2014, 02:55:30 PM
I'm not sure whether this thread should be here or in Cartoon Network (since Turner owns the library and it runs on Boomerang), but since it's in Warner Bros...

I wish WBA would better utilize more of the H-B characters. They do Tom & Jerry and Scooby-Doo... That's it.

Aparrently, we're getting a Flintstones/WWE crossover next year cause... let's blame the Rock for comparing John Cena's mutli color shirts to Fruity Pebbles and it becoming a joke that the WWE decided to embrace by having Cena eating Fruity Pebbles on a PPV and even being in a few ads for them. Really, that's my theory as to why it's being a thing.

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on August 11, 2014, 04:52:15 PMBut yeah, Warner could do more with the HB characters. I know they have those Flintstones movies, the theatrical one and the WWE DTV, coming out, so that'a step forward. Since MacFarlane left the TV reboot, maybe they can try another show instead. I mean, even if you're not an HB fan, you have to admit that there's more Warner can do than just make Scooby, Tom & Jerry, and Looney Tunes reboots.

I want to see WBA make a new Space Ghost series. (A superhero one, not a talk show.)

Spark Of Spirit

I could go for a new Top Cat show, honestly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on August 11, 2014, 05:15:07 PM
I want to see WBA make a new Space Ghost series. (A superhero one, not a talk show.)

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 11, 2014, 06:42:44 PM
I could go for a new Top Cat show, honestly.

Ditto.

I just remembered that I still haven't seen that Top Cat movie that was made a few years back. It probably isn't good...but I might as well check it out, sometime.

Daxdiv

I think that Top Cat film might be on Netflix or RedBox or something. I survived Shrek the Musical, so how bad can it be?

Avaitor

I read up on that recently. It got like 11% on RottenTomatoes, IIRC. But apparently it was a huge hit in Mexico, where it was made, so they're already working no a sequel.

Top Cat is one of those things that is WAY bigger outside of the US. It's kind of remembered today, but the show is very popular in Europe and especially in South America and Mexico. In fact, the original Spanish voice of Benny the Ball passed on not too long ago, and I saw a large amount of posts and artwork dedicated to him.

New blog!

gunswordfist

space ghost appearing on batman tbatb was a pretty great surprise.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

hobbyfan

Quote from: Daikun on August 11, 2014, 05:15:07 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on August 11, 2014, 04:52:15 PMBut yeah, Warner could do more with the HB characters. I know they have those Flintstones movies, the theatrical one and the WWE DTV, coming out, so that'a step forward. Since MacFarlane left the TV reboot, maybe they can try another show instead. I mean, even if you're not an HB fan, you have to admit that there's more Warner can do than just make Scooby, Tom & Jerry, and Looney Tunes reboots.

I'm with you there, brother. Problem is, [adult swim] has ruined SG, Birdman, and others with their satirical treatment. Peter Potamus turns 50 this year, but people will only think of him as a 1-joke character on Harvey Birdman. I'd make sure [as] doesn't get any license to do that again.