Classic Hanna-Barbera

Started by Nameless, August 09, 2014, 07:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Meh, I'd take Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman over the shows they regularly spoofed any day.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I still like the original HB Space Ghost and Birdman cartoons, but I easily like Harvey Birdman and Coast to Coast better.

That said, I would be very interested in a series that took SG, or most other HB superhero/action characters, back to their roots. But such a series is unlikely to ever come about, as the years pass on and these characters fade into obscurity.

Daikun

Quote from: hobbyfan on August 13, 2014, 08:16:17 AMI'm with you there, brother. Problem is, [adult swim] has ruined SG, Birdman, and others with their satirical treatment. Peter Potamus turns 50 this year, but people will only think of him as a 1-joke character on Harvey Birdman. I'd make sure [as] doesn't get any license to do that again.

"License?" They're part of Turner and H-B; they own the permanent rights to those characters.

Also, I don't think I'd consider them "ruined." Both the original and modern series are enjoyable in their own ways.

gunswordfist

i am sure tons of people would be excited to see a new, serious space ghost. in fact that seems like the kind of show that would get kickstarted in half an hour.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

I'm wondering how many people despise Sealab 2021 for "ruining" the sanctity of the original series.

Avaitor

Heh, I remember watching some of the original back when Boomerang on Demand had more than just Scooby and Foster's episodes to watch. It was somehow even more hollow in terms of animation than 2021.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Nameless

Quote from: Daikun on August 20, 2014, 12:32:26 AM
Quote from: hobbyfan on August 13, 2014, 08:16:17 AMI'm with you there, brother. Problem is, [adult swim] has ruined SG, Birdman, and others with their satirical treatment. Peter Potamus turns 50 this year, but people will only think of him as a 1-joke character on Harvey Birdman. I'd make sure [as] doesn't get any license to do that again.

"License?" They're part of Turner and H-B; they own the permanent rights to those characters.

Also, I don't think I'd consider them "ruined." Both the original and modern series are enjoyable in their own ways.

I think Adult Swim does have to license the characters - Hanna-Barbera still exists on paper and it's owned by Warner Bros., which is a separate division of Time Warner from Turner.

I'm just guessing, going by the byzantine nature of Time Warner's corporate structure and operations.

Avaitor

I'm pretty sure that Hanna-Barbera was usurped into Cartoon Network Studios, while Warner obtains the rights to make use of the characters as they see fit, which they do with merchandising and all of the Scooby shows and movies they make.

New blog!

hobbyfan

The word you're looking for, Avaitor, is absorbed.

Nameless

Quote from: Avaitor on August 23, 2014, 07:56:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that Hanna-Barbera was usurped into Cartoon Network Studios, while Warner obtains the rights to make use of the characters as they see fit, which they do with merchandising and all of the Scooby shows and movies they make.

The actual operations of H-B ended up being absorbed into Cartoon Network Studios, but as a legal entity, Hanna-Barbera is owned by Warner Bros. See this trademark, where H-B is given WB's address. The same goes for Turner Entertainment.

Which does raise the question of how Boomerang can run shows owned by H-B and Turner Entertainment for free, but has to pay WB proper to run shows they own...

Avaitor

This is a little more modern than the expected range for this thread, but apparently, Warner is releasing a set of the animated series Hanna-Barbera made of Dumb and Dumber.

I didn't even know that they made one, but apparently it was among their last shows to not take the Cartoon Network name. And a lot of Dexter/Powerpuff people came from it. Huh.

New blog!

Foggle

That's really interesting! I've never heard of it, either. :o

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on January 14, 2015, 07:11:45 PMThis is a little more modern than the expected range for this thread, but apparently, Warner is releasing a set of the animated series Hanna-Barbera made of Dumb and Dumber.

I didn't even know that they made one, but apparently it was among their last shows to not take the Cartoon Network name.

I've seen clips of it. It's as bad as you would think. And it has aired on Boomerang and CN in reruns (it originally aired on ABC).

Interestingly, if you wanna torture yourself, the whole series is on iTunes and Amazon.

Avaitor

Oh god, it's on YouTube. I think I know what I'm doing this weekend.

I actually kind of liked the first movie as a kid, btw. I never bothered with the college prequel, and I had similar disinterest in the sequel. So I'll try this blank from the franchise.

New blog!

Daxdiv

What movie did Jim Carry star in that didn't get an animated adaptation back in the early 90's? The Mask & Ace Ventura got one and I even remember a time where they did a crossover episode between those 2 shows.