Classic Hanna-Barbera

Started by Nameless, August 09, 2014, 07:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Avaitor

The first season was made with the show's original format still in tact, just with Scrappy fucking things up on top of it. It's not exactly what I'd call good, but it's pretty watchable in hindsight.

The series becomes totally unbearable when they switch to the 3 short format and only have Scooby, Shaggy and Scrappy. I think we can all do without those.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Silverstar

You've gotta love the attention to detail in that spot. Not only did the actors look like the characters from the show, but they even got the correct numbers for each car and included the little 'W' oval symbols on each. I'm such a big Wacky Races nerd that I picked up on all that.

My only nitpick was how there were no depictions of the Convert-A-Car with Prof. Pat Pending (#3), the Arkansas Chug-A-Bug with Lazy Luke and Blubber Bear (#8) or the Buzz Wagon with Rufus Roughcut and Sawtooth (#10). I guess those cars might've been too difficult to render in live-action, plus Blubber and Sawtooth would've required more CGI animal animation, which would've been expensive, I guess. Still, it was cool to see.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

According to Jerry Beck, we're getting the whole of Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel from Warner Archive.

These shows are no Huck or Quick Draw, but I do think they have their moments. At least it's something.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Nameless

I figured they'd get around to those as a tide-over (still holding out hope for further Huck and Quick Draw on DVD) release sometime. WB owns the background music and the masters all seem to be intact (as opposed to what remains of the Wally/Touché/Lippy cartoons; on the '60s Saturday Morning Cartoons set that had them, the Wally had seen better days, the Touché looked like it had been run through a washing machine, but somehow the Lippy looked immaculate despite its aged sound).

Speaking of Secret Squirrel, I wish they'd do a 2 Stupid Dogs release. I don't think that show's a great classic, but people like Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken cut their teeth working on it and it brought the "graphic modern" look back to mainstream animation. It would be a shame if it just sat in the WB vault forever and we had to make do with unofficial circulation.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nameless on March 24, 2015, 05:09:12 AMSpeaking of Secret Squirrel, I wish they'd do a 2 Stupid Dogs release. I don't think that show's a great classic, but people like Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken cut their teeth working on it and it brought the "graphic modern" look back to mainstream animation. It would be a shame if it just sat in the WB vault forever and we had to make do with unofficial circulation.
Agreed.

It's an old favorite among almost everyone I know, so it would be nice to have an official release of the show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

It doesn't really fit with the classic HB timeline, but I'd sure call 2 Stupid Dogs a great show. And I would be there day 1 for a release.

New blog!

Avaitor

I can't really find any official press announcement (then again, I've hardly looked for one), but there's talk of a WWE/Jetsons movie happening soon, alongside another one with Scooby.

Hmm, I can't tell which properties Warner wants to see succeed with children more, WWE or Hanna-Barbera's stuff.

New blog!

Nameless

Logically, H-B's stuff, because they actually own that.

It just seems like they can't think of any other ways to get the Flintstones or the Jetsons back into the spotlight - they're more tied to their era than, say, Looney Tunes is, the '90s and 2000s generations don't seem to remember them all that fondly, if at all, and the current crop of kids is barely aware of them. They're in a tough spot. I think Yogi and pals have better contemporary prospects, at least narratively, though they seem to have been on the wane since the 1960s.

gunswordfist

R.I.P, Stephenson. I am happy that he got to live a long life though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Wow, the original cast for the Flintstones is gone now. That's rough news.

RIP

New blog!

Avaitor

Word around town is that Warner is working on a DTV for Wacky Races, of all things.

It's... it's something. I'm not a huge fan of Wacky Races anymore, but I'm actually kind of interested. Especially because of this rumored voice cast.

Gregg Berger - Narrator
Mark Hamill - Rufus Ruffcut
Nolan North - Sergeant Blast
Jeff Bennett - Red Max
Jim Cummings - Dick Dastardly, Rock Slag, Gravel Slag, Big Gruesome, Private Meekly, Clyde
Eric Bauza - Peter Perfect, Luke
Russi Taylor - Penelope Pitstop
Billy West - Muttley, Little Gruesome, Professor Pat Pending

New blog!

gunswordfist

I was just thinking about Wacky Races. I'm not a fan of it either but holy shit at that cast!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody