Fate

Started by Lord Dalek, August 31, 2014, 08:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

There are people out there who think Carnival Phantasm is the best part of Fate.

FinalGoji

There are some people that think the Fate route and Shinji Matou are the best parts of Fate

FinalGoji

Quote from: Homura Akemi on October 11, 2014, 12:27:39 PM
Saber is waifu, though.

I can't wait until the Heaven's Feel movies just to see the reactions of all the Saber fans.

I'm excited for this next episode though, even if it is just going to be Shirou's daily life with some tracing and a fight scene at the end.

Foggle

What if Heaven's Feel is just one single movie and it has the same pacing as Deen's UBW?

FinalGoji

Quote from: Foggle on October 11, 2014, 01:00:13 PM
What if Heaven's Feel is just one single movie and it has the same pacing as Deen's UBW?

What if it was 60 minutes of cooking?

goody2shoes

Episode 1 was... alright?

I'm feeling iffy about the character animation, they're overly expressive at times which makes some characters seem even more 2 dimensional than in the novel. Shinji in particular feels even more like a cartoon villain, which makes it jarring that he actually has fangirls.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is, the humor falls flat. Not ufo's strong point.

Spoiler
Saber vs Lancer was a phenomenal fight as usual. However they overdid the Gae Bolg IMO, it wasn't a magical beam in the VN and they could've shown the reality bending nature of it with some clever camera tricks instead of the weird time reversal.
[close]

I like the X-ray scene with the radiator, and Fuji-nee is entertaining as always. The harem is pretty obvious, though, and I wish they'd downplayed that instead of hinting at Fate/HF routes, but oh well. We can only go up from here.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Honestly, I liked episode 1 quite a bit. The characters didn't really bother me at all. Shinji was the only one who was a bit over the top, but looking back at Fate/Zero, I almost felt like for such a grand plot, many of the characters felt a tad bit too stoic for their own good, and the ones I enjoyed the most were those willing to be more expressive, such as Rider. I didn't care for that psychopath guy or his servant, though. That was a bit too much over the top, even for me.

Mind you, I don't have the visual novel to compare this to, but based on what I've seen, I enjoyed what I saw as much as the prologue, and it's far better than the Studio Deen anime by miles.

Foggle

Quote from: goody2shoes on October 12, 2014, 12:58:20 PM
Episode 1 was... alright?

I'm feeling iffy about the character animation, they're overly expressive at times which makes some characters seem even more 2 dimensional than in the novel. Shinji in particular feels even more like a cartoon villain, which makes it jarring that he actually has fangirls.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is, the humor falls flat. Not ufo's strong point.

The harem is pretty obvious, though, and I wish they'd downplayed that instead of hinting at Fate/HF routes, but oh well. We can only go up from here.
The humor is about a million times better in the anime than in the VN IMO. Ufotable may not be great at comedy, but they're leagues above Nasu in that regard. I love the overly expressive animation, because it really gives the characters personality and showcases just what I love about cartoons in general. And yeah, Shinji's a pretty unrealistic character, but he's no different here from how he was in the VN. If anything, Ufotable's writers actually made him less over the top evil.

Honestly, I'm really impressed with this adaptation so far. I loved the story, fight scenes, and lore in the F/SN visual novel, but I hated the characters, dialogue, exposition, and comedy. Ufotable is improving or removing everything I disliked, and while I can see why this might make some unhappy if they enjoyed those aspects, it's a pretty perfect adaptation so far in my eyes.

Also, the only harem route is Fate, so I don't think we'll be seeing those elements past episode 2.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 12, 2014, 01:03:24 PM
I didn't care for that psychopath guy or his servant, though. That was a bit too much over the top, even for me.
I actually liked Ryuunosuke and Caster, but yeah, they were the weakest characters by far, except for maybe Berserker (though his sheer coolness made up for that).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heaven's Feel DOES sound like the title of a hentai, so I suppose it fits the description. :humhumhum:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Something I've always wondered about:

Is there in in-story reason given for why almost everyone participating in these Holy Grail wars, featuring servant classes that take worldwide figures from all over myth and history outside of Japanese origin, happen to be Japanese people? Are there just so few other magic users outside of Japan that they barely participate in this? Or is it just because Japanese audiences don't give a flying fuck about non-Japanese characters? I'm honestly just curious.

goody2shoes

I hope I'm making the correct choice watching this before Fate/Zero. I can tell they threw in some references to the earlier show, but they said in interviews this would be a standalone thing. So hopefully they won't go overboard. :sweat:

Quote from: Foggle on October 12, 2014, 01:24:03 PM
I love the overly expressive animation, because it really gives the characters personality and showcases just what I love about cartoons in general. And yeah, Shinji's a pretty unrealistic character, but he's no different here from how he was in the VN. If anything, Ufotable's writers actually made him less over the top evil.
Don't get me wrong: I like that kind of animation as well, it's what drew me into Excel Saga. It's just that to me, it feels out of place in Fate/stay night. Especially in scenes where the tone/context doesn't call for it. Shinji barking at Shirou in the classroom, for instance. In the VN I felt "What a sleezeball". Here I was more bothered by the way he flung his arms around and pranced back to his desk, it just didn't feel natural to me. I agree that he was always an unrealistic character though, at least from having read Fate.

Quote from: Foggle on October 12, 2014, 01:24:03 PMHonestly, I'm really impressed with this adaptation so far. I loved the story, fight scenes, and lore in the F/SN visual novel, but I hated the characters, dialogue, exposition, and comedy. Ufotable is improving or removing everything I disliked, and while I can see why this might make some unhappy if they enjoyed those aspects, it's a pretty perfect adaptation so far in my eyes.
I'll agree that the original isn't Nobel price worthy. I guess my idea of improvement was different from how ufo has handled it, though.

Quote from: Foggle on October 12, 2014, 01:24:03 PMAlso, the only harem route is Fate, so I don't think we'll be seeing those elements past episode 2.
I wasn't referring to
Spoiler
the threesome
[close]
, rather the typical VN "choose a girl" scenario. But yeah, it shouldn't be a big deal since the paths branch early.

Avaitor

Just watched this, and I have to say that my favorite fight was Saber's fight at the end.

Solid premiere, all in all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: goody2shoes on October 12, 2014, 02:38:24 PM
I hope I'm making the correct choice watching this before Fate/Zero. I can tell they threw in some references to the earlier show, but they said in interviews this would be a standalone thing. So hopefully they won't go overboard. :sweat:
Zero spoils some things from Heaven's Feel, so if you haven't read the entire VN, watch UBW and the HF movies first. The references all just seem to be expanded scenes from the VN anyway, so I think it'll stand alone pretty well. That said, for someone who hadn't read the VN at all, I'd suggest watching Zero first, since it explains some of the important things from the Fate route which will not be covered in this series.

QuoteDon't get me wrong: I like that kind of animation as well, it's what drew me into Excel Saga. It's just that to me, it feels out of place in Fate/stay night. Especially in scenes where the tone/context doesn't call for it.
I can see your point there, definitely. I, personally, love that kind of animation in all contexts because something about it just makes me smile. I'm a huge fan of silly, over the top, and expressive animation, which is one of the reasons why I love Space Dandy, Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking, and Redline so much. ;D

QuoteShinji barking at Shirou in the classroom, for instance. In the VN I felt "What a sleezeball". Here I was more bothered by the way he flung his arms around and pranced back to his desk, it just didn't feel natural to me. I agree that he was always an unrealistic character though, at least from having read Fate.
Ah, okay. I was referring more to his dialogue, but I get what you mean now. :)

Quote from: Avaitor on October 12, 2014, 03:12:18 PM
Just watched this, and I have to say that my favorite fight was Saber's fight at the end.

Solid premiere, all in all.
Sounds like you watched episode 1, which is actually the second episode. Be sure to watch episode 0 too! ;)

Avaitor

I think I knew about 0, but for some reason, I could only find episode 1. I'll try to find it later tonight, then!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

FinalGoji

I liked the episode a lot as I probably will with all the episodes and I thought it did pretty well to adapt the VN without giving lots and lots of exposition. I only really have a few small gripes with it namely to do with how they went about Gáe Bolg being animated, seeing as it's more like a laser beam in Ufotable's version and that it looks more like it rewinds time rather than "changing causality". In the end though it doesn't matter much since it's just their adaptation of it. I actually liked it more than the VN in some ways.

Spoiler
[close]