Danny Phantom

Started by Spark Of Spirit, September 08, 2014, 06:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I know we have a dedicated BH thread, but this show was a bit different from his usual material. I'd actually like this show to have a thread because its a good touchstone for discussion about what works and doesn't work in an action-comedy show.

That, and maybe there are still fans out there willing to talk about it. Who knows?

So, what is your overall opinion on this show and its execution?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

American Dragon>Juniper Lee>>>>>Danny Phantom
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on September 08, 2014, 07:02:19 PM
I almost forgot these shows were nearly out at the same time and tried close to the same thing.

Of the three it's fairly obvious that Jake Long was the best one, and actually tried its best to improve its faults as it went along. I didn't see much of Juniper Lee, but Danny Phantom never really fulfilled its premise with anything other than the same plots over and over.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

I think it was a good show, even the third season that was maligned by some wasn't bad. I still think Danny's powers were cool, and they had a lot of cool villains.

LumRanmaYasha

I didn't like Danny Phantom much as a kid, but I didn't think it was that bad a show either. I recall enjoying quite a few episodes that focused on Jazz, Sam, Valerie, and Vlad, in particular. The only episode that I remember well now is "The Ultimate Enemy" two-parter, which I enjoyed quite a bit and rewatched whenever it was on, but there weren't any other standout episodes/moments I liked from the show quite as much as that one. Overall DP had it's moments, but never managed to become something consistently good much less great. If I were to watch it again, I feel that opinion wouldn't change, but I'm sure that I'd still like it better than quite a few of Nick's lesser series as well as Butch Hartman's other series.

Rynnec

I liked it during middle-school, and I thought it was watchable until the end of the second season. Everything else after that is utter shit.

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 08, 2014, 07:08:26 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on September 08, 2014, 07:02:19 PM
I almost forgot these shows were nearly out at the same time and tried close to the same thing.

Of the three it's fairly obvious that Jake Long was the best one, and actually tried its best to improve its faults as it went along. I didn't see much of Juniper Lee, but Danny Phantom never really fulfilled its premise with anything other than the same plots over and over.
You know, I've been remembering Juniper Lee lately, and it really wasn't that bad. The humor was clever at times, and June was a strong main character. Her friends and grandmother were also pretty likable. But I think what drew me away from it was Ray Ray, who was damn-near unlikable.

In hindsight, I wish it stuck around a little longer though, since it was one of the more bearable shows on CN during that era, even with Ray Ray. I actually think that I like it better than Foster's at this point, in fact.

At the end of the day, AmDrag and Juniper Lee were inferior descendants of Buffy, which I think I always knew, but they did attempt different things from it that make them a little unique, like more diverse casts (and it never did bother me that Jake and Hayley had wings as dragons, since they're only half-Chinese; I actually really like how the second season redesigned them to look like more traditional Chinese dragons and kept their wings, since it helped to keep their designs unique) and a more varied sense of humor.

DP, conversely, was more influenced by Spider-Man, but it always seemed like Hartman never really understood just why people still come back to Spidey's original stories, and just attempted to mix FOP-style humor with the occasional mix of seriousness. And from what I've learned, he wasn't crazy on letting the show get too serious.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

That was what distracted me from the show, I think. The comedy never fit well with the more serious aspects and more than not held it back. I mean, there is no action show that could ever get away with a memory wipe plot, and with good reason. Action shows that go back to status quo get extremely tired very quickly.

There's also the fact that the humor didn't fit at all.

Daikun

I wish I could have a more credible source at the moment (all I have right now are fanboy tears and an assertion that "[X] said this at a convention"), so here's the rumor where I'm currently waiting for a confirmation or denial.

Grey DeLisle said at Indiana Comic Con that Danny Phantom is coming back as a live-action movie.