AR Feature Talkback: The Top 30 Greatest Story Arcs in Anime and Manga

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 10, 2014, 08:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

If we did a list for just western animated series, I think it'd only be at most be a top 20. I don't think we can think of that many genuinely great entries to fill up beyond that, and even then that's if we don't put a limit on how many arcs from a series we can represent like we did with the anime/manga list.

The Simpsons doesn't have any arcs that I can think of. "Who Shot Mr. Burns" is only a two-parter (it is great, though).

Spark Of Spirit

We could just go with 30 best episodes of Western cartoons and keep our old rule of only 2 nominations per series. That would give a lot more options to choose from.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

If you were to count two-parters, "Hanky Panky" and "High Anxiety" would have to make it in, no question.

Actually, "Heart of Archness" might not be a bad fit, now that I think about it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

A top episodes list for all western animation sounds like another matter entirely. There's so much great content from so many series to choose from, I don't think limiting it to 30 would even be enough.

A top two or multi-part episode list could be something we can narrow down to around 30 or so choices.

And yes, if we were to do a greatest story arcs list for animation, "Heart of Archness" would make it in, no question.  ;)

Avaitor

Make it top 60 episodes. Segregate comedy and action into separate lists, and that might be able to work.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

A top episodes list actually feels to me like something that would be appropriate to go so far as a top 100, even though that'd take a lot of work to write up.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Multi-parters seems to be best if we want broad options to choose from but still don't want to make a super long list.

We can explain that since Western cartoons don't really do long story arcs like anime, the multi-parters are like the American alternative to that. In that case, I'd definitely add a few more potential options:

The Day of Black Sun (ATLA)
The Boiling Rock (ATLA)
Two-Face (BTAS)
Robin's Reckoning (BTAS)
World's Finest (STAS)
Wild Cards (JL)
Gamma World (AEMH)
The Ultron Initiative (AEMH)

Actually, even that is pretty hard to condense into just 30 entries. I can honestly think of A LOT more....

Spark Of Spirit

If we allow two-parters then I'd definitely be on board. It opens up much more choices.

I would still put in High Anxiety / Hanky Panky, though.  8-)

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, allowing two-parters seems like the way to go if we want to have a diverse list like the Anime/Manga one.

I can easily think of plenty of two-parters that immediately come to mind as must-puts, myself.

gunswordfist

ah, two-face. probably my favorite two parter ever. i'd pick siege of the north over day of black sun.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I just came across this video on YouTube that briefly but directly references our list: https://youtu.be/M5IoH5xDhvM

That's pretty cool! Way to go, CX, your bit in particular got noticed! :joy:

gunswordfist

O0 Congrats, guys. *reads*EDIT: I grinned like an idiot when I saw those names.

Avaitor

New blog!