AR Feature Talkback: The Top 30 Greatest Story Arcs in Anime and Manga

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 10, 2014, 08:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

That's so cool! I've always been afraid that people would just be talking shit about us if we were ever mentioned elsewhere. :il_hahaha: I'm really happy for you guys! :joy:

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 30, 2015, 03:16:44 AMThat's so cool! I've always been afraid that people would just be talking shit about us if we were ever mentioned elsewhere. :il_hahaha: I'm really happy for you guys! :joy:

You know, it's funny, I have a tendency to always look back on my writing and be dissatisfied with it. The positive comments on my AnJ article are great, but I still feel embarrassed when I think of other people reading the stuff that I wrote.

This list is an exception, though, since it was a collaboration with two other people who's opinions I highly trust and respect, so it kept the balance of quality in check. So, I am personally proud of our combined effort. That said, I still tend to view my entries as the weakest, because old habits die hard, I suppose. :D

LumRanmaYasha

:joy:

I'm so, so happy that my write-up for "Once Upon a Time" actually inspired someone to not only read Astro Boy, but to also go on to pay it tribute and interest even more people to read it in turn. Astro Boy is so criminally overlooked by manga readers these days, even among some Tezuka fans, and dismissed as just a kiddy series because of how it's age and cartoony artstyle, even though it has such rich and brilliantly explored themes and characters that cements it as a true classic and, imo, one of the all time greats. The fact that the "Once Upon a Time" in particular is so rarely discussed (literally the only times when I've ever seen it mentioned are when people reference the part where Astro Boy sacrifices himself in the Vietnam War), and everyone only ever seems to talk and know about "The Greatest Robot on Earth" pretty much solely because of it's relationship to Pluto particularly boggled my mind, because while I love that story arc as well, it's not the only damn arc in the series worth talking about, and OUaT in particular is so ambitious and rich with incredible themes and ideas and character development. I'm thrilled to see that in some way, however small, we've gotten more people to pay it the attention it deserves. It's not just the best part of Astro Boy, imo, it's also one of the best stories Tezuka has ever written period, and most certainly one of the greatest story arcs to ever come out of the medium, which is why it's on our list, of course.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 30, 2015, 06:54:32 PM
You know, it's funny, I have a tendency to always look back on my writing and be dissatisfied with it. The positive comments on my AnJ article are great, but I still feel embarrassed when I think of other people reading the stuff that I wrote.

This list is an exception, though, since it was a collaboration with two other people who's opinions I highly trust and respect, so it kept the balance of quality in check. So, I am personally proud of our combined effort. That said, I still tend to view my entries as the weakest, because old habits die hard, I suppose. :D

Heh, I always feel the same way about my writing. Even with the most recent After the Jump write-ups, I always find myself reading through them again the next day and telling myself  "ugh, I wished I had written this another way!."  :D

But yeah, I think our list and our write-ups is really strong, and if it's influenced people to check out the series on it, we clearly did something right with it.  ;)