Genndy Tartakovsky's Popeye

Started by Daikun, September 18, 2014, 03:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

This is a movie that has been on and off the rumor mill for years. Genndy Tartakovsky was producing a CGI Popeye film for Sony.

After years of practical silence, they finally threw us a bone. Check out Genndy's animation test, nicely donated to Frederator.

EDIT: He's not working on it anymore. Damn.

EDIT #2: He's back and working on it with King Features!

LumRanmaYasha

Wow, that animation test was great! I really hope that this movie gets made. It could be a lot of fun, and we could use something new Popeye-related after all these years.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If this does get made, hopefully it does better than his last effort at a feature-length animated film, Hotel Transylvania, which was both a critical and financial bomb. That said, I actually did surprisingly enjoy that movie, despite so many negative opinions on it. I've always found Genndy to be better at humor than serious action and drama, and I still stand by that. The movie was flawed, but still enjoyable if you like that style of humor, which to me felt akin to what Genndy did back in his DL days, except longer and with a bigger budget. I'm hoping that if he does Popeye, though, it just goes down better for him so that he can continue to have a successful career in animated films.

Daikun

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

On one hand, it sucks because it seemed he was going to make sure Popeye would be a great movie and this almost confirms it's going to end up being mediocre. But on the other, he's getting to work on something original. I'd rather see him do all he can with his own ideas than direct adaptations of everything, so I'm not that bothered by this. Plus, Hotel Transylvania 2 is likely to be pretty good now that he has full control of it.

Daikun

Genndy is back as director!

Also, the movie is no longer under Sony's grip. It's now being made by King Features, the owners of Popeye.

Peanutbutter

Great news!

Sony never deserved Genndy, anyway. I have no doubt this film we be better than the Robin Williams one. I really wish that Medusa movie that Lauren Faust was supposed to run would get a second chance too.

Daikun

Peanutbutter

Genndy is returning to Cartoon Network? Hope they give him freedom like with Samurai Jack!  :thumbup:

Daikun