Transitioning to the manga

Started by goody2shoes, September 24, 2014, 11:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

You're in that awkward transitional period for the manga at the moment. Volumes 12 and 13, though the latter has some excellent moments, are probably the weakest books in the series IMO.

There is lots of fanservice starting around now, but the genre shift comes once it starts having more plot/character development. In terms of demographic, it was always a seinen.

I don't think he made shit up as he went along at all. The storyline and character development have a lot of direct continuity between the latest and earliest volumes, and there's quite a bit of foreshadowing near the beginning if you go back and re-read the series.

Micki!

I have to say though, i'm not enjoying his storytelling as much as i am enjoying his characters, the people he created in this series were what always made me keep on going honestly, it also made the hard-to-get moments seem more acceptable to me since i didn't feel the need to always fully understand the situation as long as i get to see some reactions form his characters..!

The series storyline gets more and more confusing and hard to decipher though, I really think people are better off falling in love with all the characters (which by vol 14-18 should be more or less fully established) and treat the story as a side-interest, because the dialogue and interactions between them are worth more than any part of the plot from this point onwards imo... I mean i'd have liked a story that felt more connected, as in easier and a bit more logical to follow..! As it is now it requires alot of looking back and work from the reader, and at one point-
Spoiler
it even requires knowledge to another one of Rikudou's series, Holy Brownie
[close]
to fully grasp whats happening...
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Foggle

Quote from: Micki! on January 18, 2015, 03:51:00 PM
I have to say though, i'm not enjoying his storytelling as much as i am enjoying his characters, the people he created in this series were what always made me keep on going honestly, it also made the hard-to-get moments seem more acceptable to me since i didn't feel the need to always fully understand the situation as long as i get to see some reactions form his characters..!

The series storyline gets more and more confusing and hard to decipher though, I really think people are better off falling in love with all the characters (which by vol 14-18 should be more or less fully established) and treat the story as a side-interest, because the dialogue and interactions between them are worth more than any part of the plot from this point onwards imo... I mean i'd have liked a story that felt more connected, as in easier and a bit more logical to follow..!
Agreed 100%. As I've said many times before, the actual storytelling is probably the weakest part of Excel Saga. The character development and interactions are what make it my favorite manga of all time.

goody2shoes

What I meant by saying he makes shit up as he goes along, is that he follows the weekly formula of writing. There is a general idea of where the story will go, but most of it is made up on a week by week basis. Which has its pros, but it means the storytelling isn't as tight and refined as say, a book where the author goes through the whole text several times to make adjustments so that everything fits well into the whole. Or a well scripted movie/short TV series.

Good to know that it gets better. I'm just wondering, what will this transition lead to? Will there be less comedy when the plot becomes more important, or will it just mean that more interesting shit starts happening? If it's the latter, I'm on board with that.

If it has the guts to include more morbid/inappropriate humor, even better. I'm a bit worried that Rikdo didn't kill off Iwata for real, because it makes me wonder if he knows how to handle such heavy subject matters maturely and with a sense of humor. It's a tight line to walk, I guess.

Foggle

It does occasionally become very serious when it decides to focus entirely on the plot, but, for the most part, the second half of the manga has much better humor than the first half IMO. Volumes 14-16, 19, 20, 22 are the funniest comics I've ever read.

goody2shoes

Cool! I think I'll pick the series back up when I get my finances in check.

Foggle

I hope you like it! But if you still aren't feeling it by the end of volume 16, I'd say it just might not be for you.

Micki!

Volume 14 has got to make you laugh, and 15 might get a little confusing but i'd say wait up until 16 before you decide if it's worth moving on or not as well :kabapu:

Markness

Volume 14 is probably the best volume in the entire manga!  :e_hail: :h_hail: :el_hail:
Pretty much every character gets a big moment, the art is top notch, the humor will make your cheeks hurt like crazy, and the pacing is very sinuous.

It was pretty easy for me to make the transition to the manga after watching the anime. I was getting burned out on shounen manga during that period and I wanted more of Excel and Hyatt's crazy antics. I also have a knack for alternative culture and things that are esoteric. I actually managed to find a retail copy of vol. 7 and my father ordered me vol. 8 (It was $20 something so that's better than most second hand prices) so that prevented me from feeling discouraged about not getting to read it all.

Foggle

Quote from: Markness on January 21, 2015, 08:52:46 PM
Volume 14 is probably the best volume in the entire manga!  :e_hail: :h_hail: :el_hail:
Pretty much every character gets a big moment, the art is top notch, the humor will make your cheeks hurt like crazy, and the pacing is very sinuous.
Yes! The first time I read volume 14, I absolutely died laughing. That was the moment I knew this was my favorite manga/comic of all time. :el_hail:

I had a similar experience acquiring #s 7 and 8, though I was actually able to find both of them in retail shops. (Different ones, but still.)

Speedy

With how rare the early volumes are getting, they should make an omnibus edition.  Won't happen, but it would be nice.

Micki!

Yeah I agree, that would be too awesome, imagine extra paper large prints and all that  .3.

Foggle

Quote from: Micki! on January 22, 2015, 11:08:10 AM
Yeah I agree, that would be too awesome, imagine extra paper large prints and all that  .3.
And the color pages left in... :blush:

Lord Il

Quote from: goody2shoes on January 18, 2015, 09:04:52 AMAlso, Rikdo's ability as an artist fluctuates. Maybe he was too short on time to produce consistently good art,
I love Rikdou's art. I really do. But I'm not going to argue that I had times within the span of the series where certain panels had me wondering... "... the hell is that supposed to be?!?"  :e_confused: It was as though such panels were missed for a final polishing.

I do attribute such fluctuations in anyone's art quality due to time constraints.

goody2shoes

At least he has talent, unlike that woman who draws the Watamote manga... *shudder* :(