Author Topic: Pandora of the Crimson Shell  (Read 3802 times)

YoRHa No.2

• Play Nier
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Magic School Bus
  • 2B or Not 2B
Pandora of the Crimson Shell
« on: October 03, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
So, Rikdo's manga with Masamune Shirow has been licensed by Seven Seas Entertainment in the year 2014. Discuss.

Foggle

• The dude who runs this joint, more or less
  • The Epic Trinity
  • Slave To The System
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • Email
Re: Pandora of the Crimson Shell
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »
I read the first chapter of this with Micki! It mostly just comes across as Shirow being a lecherous old man and asking Rikdo to draw his loli ecchi for him. Since it's licensed, I guess I'll buy the first volume and see if it gets better, though.

Micki!

• Municipal Force Daitenzin
  • Magic School Bus
  • Candy Consumptionist!
    • The Official English Excel Saga Forum !!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »
For the heck of it, i think I'll follow the series, it's partly by Rikudou afterall, and as much as i love his writing which won't really be much/at all in this manga, i still love his artwork a ton, so I'll support him just for that ..! :il_hahaha:
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

LumRanmaYasha

• Beautiful Dreamer
  • ACROSS Star 1
  • Love is a Boomerang
    • My Art Blog!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »
Read the first chapter, and....not really sold on it yet. I do like both mangaka, though, so I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets better, but probably won't purchase it until I can be sure of that.

Lord Il

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDERS
  • Great Gazoo
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 03:49:07 PM »
Since it's licensed, I guess I'll buy the first volume and see if it gets better, though.
I was a bit surprised to hear of it being licensed. I'm guessing this creation of Shirow's isn't going too far with ero elements to make it a safer title for international consumption.

Plot concept: Story follows a girl whose brain was transferred to prosthetic body. Surviving a terrorist incident on the way to a man-made resort island, she takes up the mission of solving the mystery behind the incident, with a genius scientist manipulating the naive girl.
[Source]

Doesn't sound overly exciting. I don't know... :??:

Markness

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »
I wasn't expecting this ever to be licensed but I am glad since the US manga market has been somewhat stale lately. I also want to support Rikdo since he doesn't get much love, even among manga fans. The art looks good and Rikdo is the master of crazy facial expressions! :awesome:

Foggle

• The Epic Trinity
  • Slave To The System
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »
The art looks good and Rikdo is the master of crazy facial expressions! :awesome:
That he is! Welcome to the forum! :joy:

Micki!

• Magic School Bus
  • Candy Consumptionist!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 06:56:06 AM »
The art looks good and Rikdo is the master of crazy facial expressions! :awesome:
That he is! Welcome to the forum! :joy:
I second this ..!

Mega welcomes Markness  :e_hail:

Markness

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 11:30:18 AM »
Thank you both for the welcome!  :thumbup:

It's really hard coming across Rikdo's works, even among manga communities.  :el_cry:
I was worried that I wouldn't see the rest of Koukaku no Pandora since no one seemed to care about translating it after the second chapter but Seven Seas has saved the day! They can take my money!  :e_hail: :h_hail: :el_hail:

Micki!

• Magic School Bus
  • Candy Consumptionist!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
I should probably mention that I got this first volume..! I haven't read it all yet, but it's actually not half bad, of course the only part of rikudous charm that rubs off is the art and expressions of characters, but i'm still enjoying it, it looks like something rikudou actually enjoys working on at least, and not like some half-assed piece for the sake of it, which is great  .3.

Markness

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 10:21:36 AM »
A couple more volumes have come out since last summer. Nene's aunt, Takumi, is quite a funny character and there have been some Excel Saga references such as a Minchi-like dog and a costume that looks like Kabapu's head!  :kabapu:

Micki!

• Magic School Bus
  • Candy Consumptionist!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 06:07:49 PM »
I was gonna get it all just for the support alone, but now that there's anything resembling kabapu involved i really must get a move on..! :kabapu:

Foggle

• The Epic Trinity
  • Slave To The System
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 06:51:06 PM »
Someone please make me a list of all the Excel Saga references so I can read only those parts. :il_hahaha:

Markness

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 02:06:49 AM »
I'll list what I've seen so far since only three volumes have been published by Seven Seas so far and they are my only source.

Vol. 2 - One of Uzal's employees states "She wouldn't die even if you killed her!"
Vol. 2 - A dog that looks like Menchi barks at Nene and Clarion who hisses at it in return.
Vol. 3 - Menchi-like dog is seen again.
Vol. 3 - Vli--WHUMP! wears a costume that looks like Dr. Kapabu's head as part of her job.

Vli--WHUMP! herself sometimes resembles Excel in her facial expressions (Especially this  :e_cool:) and in clothing style. Rikdo's trademark habit of drawing sexy girls is quite prominent as well.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:11:24 AM by Markness »

Micki!

• Magic School Bus
  • Candy Consumptionist!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 02:58:57 AM »
Just ordered volumes 2 3 and 4..!

This may not be excel Saga, or even far from it, but the art has some appeal in itself that draws me into it, i can only hope that Rikudou somehow influences the writing style later on, or that the translation does a good job at it...
I like Nene though, the rest kinda have to grow on me, they're sort of shallow form the first volume, but that's just one book afterall, i guess i could say that about any story, that it didn't flesh out everybody from the first volume...

I also like that it takes place on an island, and with that i hope there'll be some sort of of exploration-feel going on throughout the story, since it's on an island it would be a nice setup to show us every hidden corner and area and their differences, it just feels more adventurous this way, so i hope it's being used for something

When i get the books ima take photos or scans of any references i catch, assuming it's not already available online, which i would honestly assume it already is..!

I'd lie if i said i didn't laugh when i read the first book a few times though, but the pacing felt weird, it really felt more like an anime episode going straight to the point, than it felt like a comic-book progression, but that's just me feeling that way :il_hahaha: