DC Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Because DC is rocking the TV where Marvel is flailing about, and judging from the success of The Flash's premiere it looks like this new universe has only one way to go but up, I stole Dr. Ensatsu-ken's idea of making a thread for it. Being that there is a thriving universe out there, there is potentially much to discuss and go back over once again.

Long story short, The CW, a channel otherwise disposable, has lead a charge in live action programing centered around the DC universe like Marvel has in the movies. Where Marvel has been flopping in TV land, DC has been thriving. So this is a thread to discuss them all.

Arrow

Arrow is the story of Oliver Queen, a shipwrecked playboy millionaire, who returns home five years stranded as a broken man. He learned in his exile that his father was involved in shady dealings that destroyed the lives of many and vows to correct his father's wrongs. He becomes the vigilante of Starling City, hunting criminals on a list his father gave him as a way to atone for his wrongdoings. Unfortunately, fighting the evil that rules his city is not as easy as he thought, not to mention his hard exterior begins to crack as he begins reconnecting with those he left behind, and some new faces as well.

Arrow has been running since 2012 and is currently entering its third season not showing any signs of slowing down. It's well regarded for its twisting storylines and up close action and for being an adaption that does its own thing while still being respectful to the source material.

The Flash

The Flash starts as Barry Allen, as a child, witnesses his mother's murder from something faster than the eye can ascertain. He grows up with an interest in forensics, trying to find out how exactly something so strange could happen which gives him an eye for the out of the ordinary. After an experimental particle accelerator malfunctions and causes a vicious storm, the world as he knows it changes entirely. He now has superspeed, and a way of fighting the evil that has bothered him for so long. But that storm did more than give birth to The Flash . . .

The Flash started in 2014 and is currently the highest rated premiere in CW history. If it can keep up the early promise it shows and it continues on at this pace, who knows what can be next for the DC universe?

Well, now we know what's next!

DC's Legends of Tomorrow

Starting in 2016 is the next show in the Arrowverse, Legends of Tomorrow. Billed as a show about time travel, redemption, and explosive action, it bears a much different tone from either Arrow or The Flash.

Rip Hunter travels back in time to form a team that could well save the future from an ever-encroaching shadow. Featuring characters from both Arrow and Flash as well as new heroes and villains, Legends of Tomorrow will start in 2016 as the next chapter in the story. Whatever happens next, well, who knows? But DC sure have their hands full.

Supergirl

From the same team that brought you the aforementioned shows and taking place in the same universe, is Supergirl. Airing on CBS instead of The CW, Supergirl stars the titular character from DC comics as she begins to carve out her place as a superhero in a world growing in acceptance of them.

It starts in Fall 2015 on the CBS Monday line up which is incidentally the first line up in the entire history in the network to not feature comedy on the block. CBS has a lot of faith in this show and team, so here's hoping they manage to pull it off!

So share your thoughts on DC's television invasion here.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It's funny how Marvel is absolutely killing DC when it comes to cinema, but on the flip side, DC is handing them their ass back to them on cable television (and that includes animated shows, as well).

Anyways, season 1 of Arrow was solid, with the potential for greatness, but not quite there. Season 2 was a big step up in quality, but still bit quite at the level of greatness. I'm hoping that season 3 finally brings it to the level of quality of something like Buffy or Angel, which I know that this show is capable of.

As for The Flash, it's way too early to judge it, but based on the premiere, I can expect equally great things from this series. The potential is definitely there. I don't anticipate that it'll overtake Arrow for me as my preferred superhero show, though, but who knows what will happen later on down the line?

Anyways, I will of course be following both shows all season long, and in the case of Arrow, for many more seasons to come.

Spark Of Spirit

I think Arrow starts finding its footing around the time Diggle learns his secret. He becomes his moral compass and the two really have good chemistry with each other. After that it just gets better and better until the finale which is pretty great in paying off everything it built up.

It essentially did what Agents of Shield did not, and that is why I watch one and not the other.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just watched the season premiere of Arrow online. It was a really good start, as expected, and wow, it's already high-stakes! I'm particularly interested in the flashback portions of this season. I liked the stuff on the island all well and good, but after 2 seasons there, a change of scenery was definitely necessary, and I really like the Hong Kong setting and the new characters there.

Also, on a side note, I really like Roy'a costume design. One of the better looking superhero costumes that I've seen in live-action adaptations.

Avaitor

I just saw both episodes (I have clubs on the nights that both shows air, so I probably won't get to see them live too much), and wow, they were great!

I think I was especially impressed with The Flash's premiere, which was a killer origin story. Arrow was also great, and I have to admit that I like seeing Oliver and Felicity's flirting being taken a step further here with an actual attempt at a date. I've always felt that they have strong chemistry with each other, so it was cool to see the show attempt to bring them closer romantically.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, from what I've heard, Suicide Squad is the next planned show in the DCLAU for the CW. I know absolutely nothing about them aside from their JLU episode and their brief appearance on season 2 of Arrow, though I do like the idea of a team-based superhero show with anti-heroes.

Also, in regard to Arrow, do you guys think that Ray Palmer will become the Atom by the end of the season, or will it take longer than that for his character arc to bring him into the superhero mix? Also, I'm wondering just how his suit's abilities will be portrayed on the show if and when they do get to that point.

Meanwhile, I've heard that Wildcat (or at least his alter ego) has been confirmed to be in this season, so I'm wondering if he'll train Laurel to fight so that she can replace her sister as Black Canary. That's the only reason I can see for having his character featured on the show in the first place.

Spark Of Spirit

I've become a Wildcat fan since TB&TB, so I sure hope so. Or at least I hope he trains her.

Suicide Squad would have potential as long as it goes beyond its premise. The JLU episode was great, but as you saw from the end of it, it could only go so far before everyone just lets each other get thrown to the wolves.

Avaitor

The 80's Suicide Squad run is supposed to be one of DC's gems, but I haven't got around to reading it yet. If we're getting a show, though, then I'll try to find the trades.

And yeah, I'm interested in Wildcat, as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, from what I've heard, apparently in the season premiere, one of those guys in the boxing match that was going on in the background when Roy was trying to disarm the bomb is Wildcat. If that's true, that's a very clever and subtle way to introduce him into the series. I never would've picked up on that, partly because I don't know anything about the character outside of TB&TB, but even if I did know, I still would've missed it.

Avaitor

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

One thing I've always liked since day one in these shows is how they introduce characters. They're always memorable.

Spark Of Spirit

That was a nice expansion on Barry's powers and how some of the metahumans work, but I do hope they're not planning on killing them all off.

Speaking of killing. The end of that episode. Yikes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I must say, I really can't stand Iris in this series. She's a total Mary Sue in how oblivious she is to Barry and in general just has a really boring personality. She's even worse than Laurel was before she stopped being such a bitch by the end of season 2 of Arrow.

That said, I like the relationship between her dad and Barry. I also like how they got over that whole issue of whether it's right for Barty to use his powers for good or not, and he is now in full support of Barry as The Flash. They should have an interesting character dynamic as this series progresses.

Oh, and on a side nite, I just thought of this, but do you guys think that we'll ever learn anything about Olliver's son on this show? I only bring it up because it was something that was brought up in a flashback on Arrow, and it really had no purpose in that series, but let us know that the girl that Olliver had gotten pregnant moved away to Central City. It just seems so out of place in that season where that scene never got called back on, unless they were specifically setting up an Easter Egg for us to find on The Flash.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This episode was kind of "eh" as a follow-up to Sara's murder last week. But, hey, at least we got another cameo from Tommy in that flashback, and it looks like we'll finally get to see what Thea and Merlyn are up to.

Spark Of Spirit

I have to agree about Iris. Right now she doesn't add anything to the show except to get in the way of the other characters. I really hope that will change soon, though who really knows? For all I know she could be a villain next week. Or dead. These shows don't tend to tie themselves down to the comics.