DC Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, whatever happened to that footage from the initial promotional trailer of this show from last year, which showed the LOT cast teaming up with Green Arrow and The Flash? That never happened in this season. Did the writers just change their minds and scrap whatever storyline that was a part of, or was it just false advertising to get some people more pumped for the show?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 20, 2016, 01:26:52 AM
So, whatever happened to that footage from the initial promotional trailer of this show from last year, which showed the LOT cast teaming up with Green Arrow and The Flash? That never happened in this season. Did the writers just change their minds and scrap whatever storyline that was a part of, or was it just false advertising to get some people more pumped for the show?
I was wondering about that, too. It was even in the clip at the end of season 1 of The Flash when Barry was running through time and seeing all those events.

I wonder if had anything to do with the fact that the series is 16 episodes a season and they didn't know it at the time, so some material got cut. It's a shame, though. I think it would have been better than some of the episodes we got this season.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

I heard it was just test footage to show to the CW executives as a proof-of-concept thing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Overall I enjoyed the show, but I have to admit that it was all thanks to the entertaining performances for each character. The plot became a big mess and the writers seemed to have a hard time staying on the same page. Hopefully they improve things for season two and present us with a much more coherent story and smoother character development.

Spark Of Spirit

I agree. It was a solid first season, but very inconsistent in quality.

I have to say, there was some really good character development for most of the cast, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, the cast itself is excellent. That's what held the season together for me, personally.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 29, 2016, 03:15:21 PM
1. Leonard Snart (Captain Cold)
2. Martin Stein (Firestorm)
3. Rip Hunter
4. Mick Rory (Heatwave)
5. Ray Palmer (Atom)
6. Sara Lance (White Canary)
7. Jefferson Jackson (Firestorm)
8. Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl)
9. Carter Hall (Hawkman)
My ratings changed quite a bit since this ranking.

1. Mick Rory (Heatwave)

Had by far the most development. He went from a one dimensional Flash villain to anti-hero to actual hero by the end. He had the best one-liners, and was by far the best character to follow on screen. In my opinion, he's the breakout character.

2. Ray Palmer (The Atom)

The whole aborted romance with Kendra aside, Ray's character growth was about losing his naive outlook on what it meant to be a hero that he started with on Arrow. He grew a lot into being one of the strongest members of the team. I'm glad he stayed with them by season's end.

3. Leonard Snart (Captain Cold)

Though he was always the least psychotic of the Rogues, he soon became an invaluable member of the team with his quick wits and ability to read people. He grew a lot, but I think Heatwave and Atom were simply more surprising to me that he falls just below them. His self-sacrifice at the end was a nice capping off from where he started in the Arrowverse.

4. Martin Stein (Firestorm)

The brains of the outfit, he had some pretty good moments this season. His moral quandaries were some of the best during the various time periods, and his jokes were some of the strongest. That said, the biggest improvement came in his relationship with--

5. Jefferson Jackson (Firestorm)

He fully fell into place here as a great other half for Dr. Stein. Though he had some of the hardest struggles, he still became a character that never backed down. Him and Stein are now the perfect Firestorm.

6. Sara Lance (White Canary)

She didn't really change all that much. The bloodlust problem was never resolved. Her thing at the end of the season about Laurel kind of fell flat since it was her only real emotional moment that season. However, her relationship with Snart was slowly built up and was well done. She only suffers in the rankings because she didn't really change. Can't say as much for the others below her.

7. Rip Hunter

The squirrel of the group. When he wasn't being selfish, whining about someone doing something, or making bad decisions, he was, uh, failing at everything he attempted. Don't get me wrong, his scene with his family at season's end was great, but it was about the only thing he did, other than one duel earlier, that didn't end in failure. I hope next season gives him something other than being the whiny nag.

8. Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl)

I have to say, her storyline did nothing for me. Probably because it went back and forth for so long with no real progress or change. Her relationship with Ray went nowhere because she didn't want it to, and her mindless desire to kill Savage nearly got everyone killed more than once. I'm not saddened that her storyline is over and now she's gone.

9. Carter Hall (Hawkman)

We literally know nothing about him. He died early and then came back as a brain-wiped automaton. He is last by default.

Best episode: Marooned

This was the best episode of the season. Lots of great character moments and it leads to an ending that is extremely shocking for the series. The whole space pirate thing is a fun break from the time traveling and the action is really well done. The whole thing is really LoT at its very best. I'd like to see more episodes like this in season 2.

Worst episode: Night of the Hawk

Do I need to say why? Not only is every human being in the time period incredibly racist, there is no nuance to any of their characterizations. It's cliche central. On top of that, Kendra goes off to kill Vandal Savage on her own . . . for no reason. Why did she not just BRING THE WHOLE TEAM and end him right there? It made no sense at all. But that's not all. Other than the ending, which could have been in any episode, nothing that happens in this episode matters at all. None of the other lesser episodes can make that claim.

All in all, it was a solid start for the show, but they need to tighten up the writing and episode plots. But I can only see it going up from here. I'm eager to see who they bring on next season and I hope they have more episodes that focus on more of the characters.

Dr. Insomniac

So next season's Flashpoint, I guess.

Spark Of Spirit

That kind of came out of nowhere. Barry might have just erased everything that happened over the last two seasons.

Dr. Insomniac

So how do Time Remnants work? Up until this episode, I thought they were like afterimages that a speedster could create after going way too fast, but now they're going with this angle?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If this is really Flashpoint, shouldn't it technically have an effect on Arrow's next season? And I don't even want to think of how much worse it could convolute Legends of Tomorrow than that series has already done to itself.

I'm just going to assume that the show won't go the comic book route (which is wise since the comic was garbage, IMO) and will instead have the timeline alterations more contained to just the Central City characters.

Spark Of Spirit

I'd hope not, since if Barry's mother never dies, then he never visits Star City and he never saves Oliver's life.

As for the end of the season, I'd have to say I enjoyed Arrow season 4 more than The Flash season 2. It was more consistent, had more high points, and fixed every issue people had with season 3's back quarter. Only thing I'm hoping for is that next season has more standalone episodes. We haven't really had any since the first half of season 3 of Arrow.

Avaitor

I think my rankings for the shows have to be

Arrow Season 4
The Flash Season 2
Supergirl Season 1
Legends of Tomorrow Season 1

The last handful of episodes of Arrow's recent season really knocked it out of the park, and I feel like the build-up to the finale's end was perfect. I'm really excited to see how things turn out next year. Flash started off a little stronger, and had great moments all around, but yeah, I'm not sure if the finale was he best move. Supergirl had its rough patches all around, but shows a lot of potential for something really special, especially based on the bonds Kara has with Cat and Alex.

And LOT needs some help with structure, but there's a good show here, and I'm willing to stick around to see how it develops. Thankfully the cast is pretty strong to make it happen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Didn't watch Arrow, so my rankings would be:

Flash Season 2
Gotham Season 2 (I know, I know. The show still has severe brain problems, and absolutely nothing with the Azrael arc made any sense. But it's too fun to put at the bottom)
Supergirl Season 1
Legends of Tomorrow Season 1

Dr. Insomniac

Berlanti Superman incoming! I guess the Supergirl showrunners are tired of awkwardly skirting around him like he's a ghost.