DC Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd say that it's a competent film, but a poor adaptation. For as many scenes as Snyder replicates from the comic book, he tends to completely misinterpret what Alan Moore was actually saying with this story.

Dr. Insomniac

Black Lightning started off good, though I'm wondering how long it will take until Berlanti rolls back that "It's totally not part of the Arrowverse" statement and does crossovers.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Really got into the premiere for Black Lightning. Not only does it feel tonally different from the other CW DC shows, but it also seems to have a much stronger cast (at least so far) all around, whereas the other shows tend to have a good enough lead but a really mixed supporting cast that range from decent to outright awful. I don't get that same feeling from these characters, yet, though again, it is only the first episode.

Avaitor

I also enjoyed the Black Lightning premiere. Which surprised me, since I wasn't sure if it would do a good job of being socially aware, but it wasn't as gawdy or obnoxious as I was expecting. I hope the show stays in this direction.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Well, I didn't expect that in Legends.

Avaitor

I've never been a big Titans fan, not even the comics, but I still know enough to call out how awkward they look.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Quote from: Daikun on December 18, 2017, 08:06:58 PMWatchmen is getting a TV series on HBO.

It won't have any connection to Zack Snyder or the movie.

UPDATE: It won't be a direct adaptation.

I suppose that makes sense, considering the movie did that already. We'd just be retreading old ground.

Peanutbutter

Most of Snyder's film was already a direct adaptation so it only makes sense they want to try something different.

Lord Dalek

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I don't follow any of the CW DC shows anymore because they all pretty much suck now (even Black Lightning got stale by the end of the first season, IMO), but I did still watch the Elseworlds crossover because the annual crossover events are the only things about these shows that are actually still fun for what they are. Even last year's boring collection of seasons wasn't much of a factor in keeping Crisis on Earth X from being a lot of fun.

Elseworlds wasn't as good as that one, but still felt pretty entertaining overall, and was still pretty easy to follow despite not keeping up with any of the shows this season. That said, the most interesting thing by far here was how this event set up next year's event, which will be adapting Crisis on Infinite Earths. The fact that they announced this a year ahead of time is a clear indicator that they are treating this as a huge, status-quo destroying deal. Additionally, Barry and Kara's deaths from the original comic were referenced here, but these shows lacking the subtlety that they do pretty much heavily implied that Oliver will be taking their place as the major death to occur in the upcoming event, which means that Stephen Amell will most likely be leaving Arrow next year (and the CW-verse in general). This is doubly supported by the fact that, from what I've heard from those still watching it, this season of Arrow seems to be setting up for a new character to take over the mantle.

Oh, also they officially canonized the 90's live-action TV show Flash into this multiverse. They didn't really use him much, but that was still a neat touch.

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Insomniac

The Doom Patrol premiere was surprisingly really good. Loved Alan Tudyk's narration, and how the characterization felt like something out of a Bryan Fuller show.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Glad to know that it's good. I don't have the DC streaming service so I'll have to wait a while to watch this one, but I may check it out after all. I didn't really watch or read any promotional material for this but I have to ask, which version of Negative Man did it go with: Larry or Rebis (AKA Larry with boobs)?

I'm really only familiar with Morrison's run on the series, but I imagine that might be a bit too much for the adaptation to do anymore than make some passing nods to.