DC Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 08, 2014, 07:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

You both echoed my opinions. I really fell out hard with these shows this past season. The Flash fell off a cliff, Supergirl lost everything good about it, and LoT fixed none of the problems from season 1 and added new ones. Arrow was the only one I kept up with because they've almost recovered to where they were in the first half of season 3 before it went downhill. Arrow aside I didn't enjoy any of them outside of random episodes.

I'm not sure what happened this year, but they really screwed up. Bets the season 4 Flash villain will be another freaking speedster?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Actually, season four's main villain has been confirmed to be the Thinker. If nothing else, the writers at least heard the complaint about the speedster villains being frustratingly redundant.

LumRanmaYasha

I was debating whether I should continue Flash after being frustrated and dropping the show after season 2, and watching that video makes me feel justified in giving season 3 a pass. It's a shame, because I loved the first season of The Flash, and Tom Cavanaugh's performances as the various Harrison Wells' are always great, but the whole Zoom storyline really lost me with how convoluted and unsatisfying it was and the way the finale made Barry go back on the lesson he learned in the previous seasons felt insulting. It sucks because Flash was the only CW DC show that I liked. I could never get into Arrow because I didn't like the show's characterization of Oliver or any of the supporting cast, and I've since tried quite a few episodes from each season but it's never clicked with me. I watched the entire first seasons of Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl and while they showed promise at times ultimately they fell flat for me and I didn't check out their second seasons. I hope season 4 of Flash can rebound the series like how Arrow season 5 apparently did for that show, because I really want to like watching it again.

Dr. Insomniac

I found Legends to have improved from last season after dumping the Hawks and Vandal, and getting the Legion of Doom instead. Supergirl had a decent season 2 premiere only to grow boring and unremarkable. And Flash has been frustrating to watch recently, not as disappointing as GOT has been doing lately, but all of the speedsters and Barry's fuck-ups have taken their toll. I still have no idea what they're doing with Caitlin, and Wally is just too much of a stick in the road to picture as the lead while Barry's temporarily dead. If anything, my favorite DC show running now is still Gotham. It's nonsensical with absurdly bad plots, but at least it's entertaining to watch its madness.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Haven't really bothered to follow Supergirl or LOT this season, but I did watch Crisis on Earth X. For what it was I found it to be entertaining despite being ridiculously over-the-top even by the standards of these shows as they are.

Kind of ballsy of them to kill off Stein. That was probably one of the more well-done death scenes in any of these shows. Just too bad that I'm not really into LOT anymore otherwise it could have had more of an actual impact for me.

Still, these crossover events remain to be genuinely enjoyable for what they are, even if I'm no longer a big fan of all of these shows.

Dr. Insomniac

I thought it was fun, but moments like Felicity's cheesy speech about Nazis made my eyes roll. Cool to see the Earth-X Captain Cold, Wells Reverse Flash again, and a non-stupid looking Red Tornado.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think the things that stuck out to me the most in this crossover were the character beats happening throughout, both big and small.

Stuff like Cisco teleporting Oliver to fight his double, Heat Wave's brief interaction with Director Singh (calling all the way back to his appearances on The Flash), the brief moment between Oliver and Sara which called back to Arrow season two, and especially The Atom saving Supergirl by stopping the Reverse Flash's scalpel from dissecting her while shrunk down to a barely visible size. In general this was perhaps the best use of live-action Ray Palmer since his inception in Arrow.

It really does make me realize how barren The Defenders was of any really interesting character dynamics like those.

Avaitor

I also dropped Supergirl and Legends this season (any hopes of me returning to the former dropped when I heard that not only is Mon-El back, but he's brought a love triangle with him. Yuck), but I do plan to catch their episodes for the crossover, when I get to it. I'm pretty behind on everything, but hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.

I also haven't been too hot on Flash this season, which has had some dumb episodes on top of a plot that hasn't won me over. Arrow is still mostly on its upswing though, IMO.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Flash has been a mixed bag for me this season. I personally enjoy this show's interpretation of Plastic Man, and they know not to use him in every episode but only sparsely so as not to make his presence feel grating. The line-up of the core cast is also pretty good, sticking mostly to season one characters rather than forcing obnoxious new team members down our throats. Where the show fails to hold my interest is in the villains and the mellodrama of the Barry/Iris relationship. Now that they have finally had their wedding, maybe that aspect of the story can finally be left behind. However, the villains this season, both the main threat of The Thinker as well as the one-off bad guys, have been really underwhelming. I mean, I'm glad that we're not dealing with another speedster yet again, but you can't make an interesting threat out of a guy who hasn't done anything different than any of the previous villains as of yet and is literally just sitting around in a chair just telling us that he will get stuff done yet not really doing anything as of yet. He's sort of like the Thanos of this season, except unlike Thanos I don't quite foresee him being a crossover level threat. The other minor villains have been utterly forgettable and were it not for the fact that many of the core characters have such good chemistry with each other, I'd find the show to be an absolute bore since the actual conflicts going on barely feel like a real threat compared to what the cast has faced before.

Arrow has mostly maintained its quality from last season, but the Oliver/Felicity relationship is always a hindrance on the plot and I'm not sure why the writers of this show are so damn obsessed with pushing this pairing when it's clear that nobody was a fan of it the first time around. More than that, though, it's clear that none of these shows really know how to handle romance well, so it's really frustrating to see them so constantly present in each of them, but this being the CW and all, I'm sure that there's some kind of quota when it comes to stuff like that.

Avaitor

I've found Oliver and Felicity a little more bearable this time, but they're far from my favorite part of Arrow. I do agree that the writers have problems making romance work on the show, as is definitely clear from Flash and Supergirl, with that being a big reason that I dropped the latter. The characters are fine on their own, but they never seem to work with other partners, resulting in annoying, redundant conflicts going on in every episode.

Plastic Man has been enjoyable, yeah. I almost forgot about him for a second, but he has been a highlight thus far.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Just finished Crisis on Earth X, and while I do admit that it's ridiculous and got annoyingly cheesy, I did really enjoy it. The previous crossover for the four shows were mostly underwhelming to me, especially considering how the Supergirl and Arrow episodes barely had anything to do with the others (although that Arrow episode was good in its own right), so I gave it points for all four episodes being connected. Like EK, I would have been more affected by Stein's death if Legends did more for me as a show.

And I really liked the last scene. It felt right to have it be just the five of them, and while I'm still not a big fan of how the show handles relationships, I like the idea of them being happy together, and wish for their best. Which won't happen, obviously, but it was still a nice moment.

New blog!

Daikun

Watchmen is getting a TV series on HBO.

It won't have any connection to Zack Snyder or the movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Insomniac

I hope they get Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns to write scripts just to rub salt into the wound.

Peanutbutter

Huh, cool.

I still think the movie was one of the few things Snyder did well, but this is bound to be better.