BoJack Horseman

Started by Avaitor, October 13, 2014, 01:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I both eagerly await and dread this at the same time. The show is great, but god does it know how to break my heart. And I know when I start the season I won't stop even if it gets hard to watch. :sweat:

Avaitor

Anyone else ready to binge this show and get incredibly depressed?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

I really wish I was a drinking man, because then maybe I could numb myself when it gets too emotionally bleak. But then I'd be just like BoJack, so maybe that's a good thing.  :D

Daxdiv

That whole story about Bojack's Mom. :cry:

Avaitor

This was a pretty terrific season, all in all. I wasn't expecting to sympathize with BoJack's parents at all, but I really do feel for his mom, and even his dad a little based on what we learn about them. But not enough to forgive the way they fucked over BoJack, or what his mom did to Hollyhock. If anything, they just add ingredients to the depressing entree that is BoJack Horseman.

Sepinwall wrote about how BoJack was at least trying to be better this season, and he was right. He still makes some mistakes, like the episode where he decides to get rid of Hollyhock's crush the "BoJack way", but there are at least attempts to try to be less of a miserable fuck. I don't think he's at the point yet where he's ready to be better, but I respect the effort.

And I liked the rest of the character's arcs, as well. Mr. Peanut Butter's run for governor was rightly silly, and thankfully didn't last as a Trump parable for too long. I really liked the parts that related to Diane, especially in the finale, as that's the direction I've wanted them to go in for a while. Princess Carolyn also had some good development, as I similarly liked her material this year. And I was also a big fan of Todd's coming out s ace, which was very tastefully done. He's probably my least favorite character otherwise- his schemes get a bit too ridiculous for the show's sake, imo- but his core material worked very well.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on September 11, 2017, 09:03:59 AM
This was a pretty terrific season, all in all. I wasn't expecting to sympathize with BoJack's parents at all, but I really do feel for his mom, and even his dad a little based on what we learn about them. But not enough to forgive the way they fucked over BoJack, or what his mom did to Hollyhock. If anything, they just add ingredients to the depressing entree that is BoJack Horseman.

Sepinwall wrote about how BoJack was at least trying to be better this season, and he was right. He still makes some mistakes, like the episode where he decides to get rid of Hollyhock's crush the "BoJack way", but there are at least attempts to try to be less of a miserable fuck. I don't think he's at the point yet where he's ready to be better, but I respect the effort.

And I liked the rest of the character's arcs, as well. Mr. Peanut Butter's run for governor was rightly silly, and thankfully didn't last as a Trump parable for too long. I really liked the parts that related to Diane, especially in the finale, as that's the direction I've wanted them to go in for a while. Princess Carolyn also had some good development, as I similarly liked her material this year. And I was also a big fan of Todd's coming out s ace, which was very tastefully done. He's probably my least favorite character otherwise- his schemes get a bit too ridiculous for the show's sake, imo- but his core material worked very well.

It stopped being a Trump parable the moment we heard Woodchuck speak, really. Though I wonder if he's supposed to be an Obama analogue. At any rate, I'm to episode 10. I think "Ruthie" is going to be my favorite episode this season. I won't spoil anything yet so people can catch up this week, but it was scripted really well. Anything I say otherwise would probably ruin things so I won't go further than that yet.

Avaitor

Fair on Woodchuck- Mr. Peanutbutter's arc was initially going in that direction, as did Jessica Biel's, but obviously if they really wanted to go full-on Trump, Peanutbutter would have stuck it out and won.

I hope you enjoy the last two episodes! The penultimate one's a doozey.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Avaitor on September 11, 2017, 10:59:54 PM
Fair on Woodchuck- Mr. Peanutbutter's arc was initially going in that direction, as did Jessica Biel's, but obviously if they really wanted to go full-on Trump, Peanutbutter would have stuck it out and won.

I hope you enjoy the last two episodes! The penultimate one's a doozey.

I think that's where they almost went with Beal. But anyway....

Now that's it been a bit, I'm sure others should have gotten caught up. I really enjoyed the episode with BoJack's mother. As sad it was, it was amazing to see a character that was so hatable from the few times we saw that she able to be made sympathetic thanks to that trip through her inner psyche. While it was a bit cruel of how she seperated Hollyhock from her mom, it still felt like she cared in her own way. That exchange with BoJack's dad even made him a little more understandable too. What really brought everything home though was that scene between BoJack and Hollyhock's dads about getting the truth to her, not even wanting credit for it at all. He's really come a long way this season. Granted, there have been some off moments even this season like he ended things with Eddy the Fly, but BoJack seems to finally be evolving into a truly likable guy.

The Beatrice episode aside, I actually think this was the least depressing season yet still possibly the best. Nearly everybody got to have a happy ending for once. The only exception being Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter's breakdown at the end, likely forshadowing a divorce. I'm really interested to see what happens with them next. I'm not a shipper, but when you think back to how they ended up together in the first place I honestly think the writer's have been playing the long game in getting BoJack with Diane. All of their scenes together this season had a pretty strong subtext of a married couple to me. I don't think it was unintentional.

Of course, I don't predict them being together in Season Five. I think she'll do a couple episodes of couples therapy with Peanutbutter, than file her divorce, then go on some trip of her own somewhere she goes into her own self-assessment. Then possibly sharing a romantic moment with BoJack at the end, if not the beginning of the sixth season. That's just how I see it anyway. :D

LumRanmaYasha

Season 4 was surprisingly more optimistic than I was expecting and that was a great change of pace. Don't get me wrong, everything involving BoJack's mom was soul-crushingly bleak and sad, but even that plotline ends on a sorta sweet note where BoJack calms her down by helping her reminisce about happier days. I'm really glad BoJack started making efforts to become a better person and actually succeeded this time. Every previous season ended with him in an uncertain and dark place after screwing up something important in his life, but this season ends with the promise of a new familial relationship for BoJack, gaining a sister in Hollyhock. That's a big step forward for him and I hope the show doesn't double back on it in season 5, especially since Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane's storyline is heading down the opposite path into some bleak times for their relationship and personal lives.

I'm guessing season 5 will follow BoJack struggle to keep up this turnaround in luck for him and start gradually improving, while Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane will gradually spiral further into marital depression, reach their breaking point, and divorce. Besides them, I really liked how Todd was the most happy and put-together character in the show this season and while his clown dentist subplot didn't do much for me I just really appreciated how much he's grown and how they handled him coming out as asexual. Princess Carolyn went through a lot of ups and downs, but I'm glad her story ends on a more optimistic note with BoJack being the one to help her out and give her reassurance for a change. I do hope she gets back with Ralph next season, because he definitely cared about her and they make a good couple.

Overall, excellent season. It's a toss-up between this and season 3 as to whether it's the shows best to date, but I'll need to reflect on it for a while.

Peanutbutter

Nice, if any Netflix series has deserved reruns on TV, it's BoJack!

Anything that could help the show reach even more people is a-ok with me. Still surprised BoJack sometimes wasn't on Comedy Central to begin with, but who knows if it would get past the first season.

Avaitor

It'd probably do fine on Comedy Central or [as]. Despite having Netflix's freedom, the show doesn't do too much that would need to be censored on cable. There's the one fuck a season, and I believe the C word was also used once. That's about it.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Right, I imagine language wise CC wouldn't care. I just wonder if there'd be four seasons since only Drawn Together has managed to get that many while everything else fizzled. Though it is worth noting that most of them including Drawn Together sucked.

Daikun