BoJack Horseman

Started by Avaitor, October 13, 2014, 01:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

If you guys remember my review for this recent Netflix series, you'll remember that I wasn't super partial to it, but did feel that there was growth that occurred in the show as it went along that lent me to feel that it could easily become a better series as the next season occurs.

But hey, I actually watched the first half of the series again with some friends tonight, and maybe it was just how drunk we were getting, but I do think it holds up quite a lot better in a second viewing. There are some great uses of foreshadowing present that I didn't even think about before, as numerous jokes worked better a second time around. I also found myself liking the BoJack character more than before, as much as I hate to admit it. I'm too much like him, myself.

Has anyone else here seen it? It really is a solid little show, and you shouldn't let a rough first impression tear you away.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

They uploaded a Chirstmas episode to Netflix. It's basically BoJack and Todd watching a Christmas themed episode of "Horsing Around" You basically got to see the show in it's whole 90's glory, with scenes of Todd & BoJack commenting on some of the more cheesy stuff.

Still waiting for season 2. This show kind of grew on me.

Avaitor

YEAH FIRE THAT JEW

This was great.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Season 2 is streaming now. I'll get to it soon, but I wanted to bring it up here first.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Nice!

I loved BoJack, can't wait to see what happens in this season.

Avaitor

I forgot to post here, but I watched the second season over the span of the past few days. It really was a step above the first, even if it still isn't necessarily one of my favorite shows.

Frankly, what makes the show work is the underlying darkness behind it all. Its whole world is built around how much of an asshole BoJack is, which nobody lets him forget. Even the nicer people, like Mr. Peanutbutter and Todd, are able to give BoJack just what he needs when the timing is right. Just about the only thing that BoJack doesn't personally sabotage in his life is his relationship with his parents, who are both naturally shitty.

It's still not one of my favorites, since the show doesn't make me laugh as much as Archer or Rick and Morty do, but I don't think it's supposed to. Although it can still be pretty funny. But BoJack is a look in the life of someone who by all rights can be a good person, but keeps on pissing on every opportunity he gets to do so. And on that note, it works very well.

New blog!

Mr. Big

I finally watched the first episode recently. Seems interesting. Will watch the rest later.

Kiddington

The second season is so much better than the first. This was pretty much what I was expecting all along.

"Ugh, why does anybody run?"

LumRanmaYasha

I just marathoned through the show last weekend. Though I agree that the second season is stronger overall, I actually really enjoyed both seasons. It became quickly apparent to me that BoJack works much better as a drama then as a comedy, and I primarily enjoy it as a character study of someone who wants to be a good person, but whose self-destructive tendencies and self-pitying behavior prevent him from doing so. The other characters are also enjoyably well-rounded and fun in their various personalities, strengths, and insecurities, and they have strong chemistry with each other. I think just about the only issue I've had with the show is the finale of the second season, which goes out of it's way to address the BoJack/Todd relationship, despite it not having been a central fixture of the season or particularly pertinent to BoJack's character arc within the season. It doesn't help that the Mr. Peanutbutter/Todd relationship has consistently proven more interesting, funny, and versatile. Still, I really enjoyed the series as a whole (I wouldn't have breezed through it in three days if I hadn't), and I'm hoping that the third season (I'm assuming it's getting one) will continue the series' upward trend.

Avaitor

Oh yeah, it was renewed for a third season shortly after the second hit.

This is one of those series that I never heard too many people talk about at first, then really started to take off during its second season. So I'm not surprised about the quick renewal.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

Bojack is just friggin' great. The best part about it is that never relies too much on shock value or really gross stuff like Drawn Together did. The only time they got a little much was that drug trip Bojack had but that's been the only exception. It just truly feels like a show for adults not overgrown manchildren and womenchildren.

Daikun

Season 3 comes out July 22.

Avaitor

Score!

I was getting kind of worried, since we haven't heard anything about it in a while.

New blog!

Avaitor

So I got around to watching season 3 over the past few nights, and damn. This is the best season yet. And wow, did it go dark this season.

I had more to write, but I'm really not finding myself saying much anymore. Just that it was too much, man.

New blog!

Daikun