Lupin III Blue Jacket next spring

Started by goody2shoes, October 14, 2014, 05:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

The only thing that could compare for me is if the Heaven's Feel movie(s) end up coming out next year.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like Fate, but I don't think that it'd overtake a good Lupin series for me. Mostly because I like how, even with the more adult interpretations of the franchise, Lupin is always full of fun characters, and I just love that in anime, especially with the gritty shows like AoT dominating the market.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 15, 2014, 12:21:59 AM
I like Fate, but I don't think that it'd overtake a good Lupin series for me. Mostly because I like how, even with the more adult interpretations of the franchise, Lupin is always full of fun characters, and I just love that in anime, especially with the gritty shows like AoT dominating the market.
Normally I would agree with you, but HF features some of the most badass and downright insane fight scenes ever written. If done proper justice, it'll be hard for the majority of action anime to ever compare.

Good Lupin will always be top tier for me, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Bad-ass action is awesome, but I just simply prefer a more optimistic and fun spirited show that's done extremely well over a dark and more intense show that's done extremely well, which is what I mean. That doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the hell out of both, though. ;)

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 15, 2014, 12:30:44 AM
Bad-ass action is awesome, but I just simply prefer a more optimistic and fun spirited show that's done extremely well over a dark and more intense show that's done extremely well, which is what I mean. That doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the hell out of both, though. ;)
I totally get that. Though if this new Lupin series decides to take after Fujiko Mine in terms of tone, it'll be simultaneously optimistic/fun and dark/intense!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

LumRanmaYasha

There is very little that could possibly make me more excited for an anime than I am for this. Factoring in all it's media, Lupin is my second favorite anime/manga franchise. Even a One-Punch Man anime adaption by Trigger wouldn't get me as excited as I am for this, and that's a damn high bar.

gunswordfist

What the hell is Trigger?

Let's see, a few dream projects could top this if it lives up to its hype. Stuff like Outlaw Star getting a good direct sequel series and a Trigun Maximum anime.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 15, 2014, 01:02:37 AM
What the hell is Trigger?

They made Kill la Kill.

Even a Trigun Maximum anime might not get me quite as excited as I am for new Lupin. Doesn't mean I wouldn't still be overwhelmed with joy if one were to actually get made. Seeing Wolfwood vs. Livio and Livio vs. Elendira animated would be a dream come true.  :swoon:

Foggle

Since this is supposedly a sequel to Fujiko Mine, which was a prequel to the original series, I guess the chronology is now Green -> Blue -> Red -> Pink... not that it matters.

I have mucho hype for this. Still a month and a half 'til Koike's movie finally gets released on BD, though. :'(

Foggle

Finally got to watch Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone! It's pretty sweet; amazing art, animation, and soundtrack. This is probably even closer to Monkey Punch Lupin than the Fujiko Mine series was; it's quite violent (with some fairly graphic gore) compared to past anime offerings, and some of the Fujiko stuff is pretty gross IMO. It's really disappointing to see that early 1970's-esque rape-y crap rear its ugly head again after the previous anime's more mature sexuality. That said, this movie is absolutely fantastic on the whole... though I'd struggle to call it a legitimate movie, really. It's more like a two-part episode from a TV series. Which makes sense, because it's pretty obvious that this was made as a lead-in to the upcoming blue jacket series.

But before I forget, OH MY GOD DAT ENDING!!!

Spoiler
MAMO APPEARS HOLY SHIT
[close]

goody2shoes

Quote from: Foggle on December 08, 2014, 09:08:32 PM
But before I forget, OH MY GOD DAT ENDING!!!

Spoiler
MAMO APPEARS HOLY SHIT
[close]
Oho, so that's who that was. Left me confused, guess it's time to watch that movie then.
Spoiler
Still haven't finished S1 though.
[close]

But yeah, I liked it. 't was 7/10 good because the story wasn't that outstanding, but it's worth it just for the gorgeous, polished animation. It's what Fujiko should've looked like. Bless Koike, I'll miss him.

Hoping the series will be closer to Monkey Punch's style, though. Dark and mature can still be silly and humorous, and that's what the new Lupins have been missing for me. Someone on ANN made an interesting post about it: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1109434&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Foggle

Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone probably is the closest anime that exists to the original Monkey Punch Lupin, though, barring perhaps Mystery of Mamo. It has plenty of humor despite maintaining a serious storyline throughout. Also, in regards to the way the characters are drawn and move, it has by far the most impressive facial expressions and body language of the entire franchise.

I would argue that the linked poster is cherry-picking to prove their point; the Fujiko Mine series has plenty of Monkey Punch-style silly artwork outside of the four or so serious episodes. The first episode alone is closer to the original manga than practically anything from the Miyazaki/Takahata-headed period onward IMO. That said, they are correct that the original manga was never as straight-faced borderline depressing as the more recent anime adaptations... but from what I've read, it was just as disturbing. To be honest, the Lupin manga is not particularly pleasant, and outside of the artwork itself, not that funny, either.

The way I see it:

Traditional Lupin
Art style closer to original work
Writing fairly different from original work

Reboot(?) Lupin
Writing closer to original work
Art style fairly different from original work

goody2shoes

Eh, I won't pretend to have an informed opinion of Lupin. I've only seen glimpses of the manga and I liked the expressive off-model drawings a lot. I thought Fujiko's animation was really stiff for the most part, not that it didn't have its moments though and I really liked episode 1.

I guess what I'd like is a bit more of a satirical bent, not just the occasional visual gag in a mostly serious story. Koike seemed to have the same ideas early on, just look at these MP-inspired drawings:

Foggle

Quote from: goody2shoes on December 10, 2014, 06:57:14 PM
Eh, I won't pretend to have an informed opinion of Lupin. I've only seen glimpses of the manga and I liked the expressive off-model drawings a lot. I thought Fujiko's animation was really stiff for the most part, not that it didn't have its moments though and I really liked episode 1.
Ah, okay. :) The manga's art is very unique and likable for sure. Unfortunately, Lupin almost always has pretty stiff animation outside of the first two theatrical films and Gravestone. I just really love Koike's character designs from Fujiko, and there were at least a few particularly well-animated moments in each episode, so I found it to be technically fantastic, though I can see why you (and others) might not agree. Glad to hear you really liked the first episode; truth told, I would have preferred the entire series to be more like that one, but the storyline and underlying message grew on me a lot, so I ended up finding the whole thing to be a rewarding experience. I know I'm in the minority amongst Lupin fans on this, but I'm a big fan of all three versions of the series (Monkey Punch manga, traditional anime, and modernized anime).

THAT IS GODLIKE. I WANT AN ANIME THAT LOOKS LIKE THAT. :zonk: