Osamu Tezuka

Started by LumRanmaYasha, October 23, 2014, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

I've finished Buddha. Probably my favorite Tezuka work so far, as it combines so many religious, spiritual, and philosophical concepts with a huge narrative. Probably one of the few comics I would truly consider an "epic".

And it's also (technically) one of the greatest shonen series ever made.

LumRanmaYasha

Damn straight. It's my personal favorite work of Tezuka's, myself for those very reasons (though Phoenix is definitely a close second). I'm glad you enjoyed it so strongly!  :)

It's a seinin series, though.  :P

On that note, the Clockwork Apple kickstarter has met it's goal, and now has set a stretch goal to publish Brave Dan in print. And by the looks of it, it could very well happen, and we might even make the second stretch goal and get Barbara reprinted to boot! Both would be great to see, so I'm hoping it comes to pass!

The Shadow Gentleman

I've seen a lot of people say it was published in a shonen magazine, but I can't find any real source on that. In english anyway.

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 17, 2015, 07:07:47 PM
On that note, the Clockwork Apple kickstarter has met it's goal, and now has set a stretch goal to publish Brave Dan in print. And by the looks of it, it could very well happen, and we might even make the second stretch goal and get Barbara reprinted to boot! Both would be great to see, so I'm hoping it comes to pass!

Time to update my backing amount.

LumRanmaYasha

The stretch goal to publish Brave Dan has been met. Good progress is being made towards the second stretch goal and getting Barbara re-printed and there's plenty of time left, so I have a good feeling we'll reach it.

LumRanmaYasha

The Shadow Gentleman

That's great! I personally did not have enough interest in Barbara after reading some of it to get the add-on, but I'll check out Swallowing the Earth. This success gives me a lot of hope for future Tezuka products.

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

The stretch goal to reprint Swallowing the Earth has been met! It is unlikely we'll meet stretch goal 4, the Unico reprint, considering there's less than a day left and still $10,000+ needed for it. Even so, this kickstarter has to be the most successful DMP has ever done. Very promising for the future of these, and getting the rest of the catalog published.

LumRanmaYasha

A Young Black Jack anime is coming this fall.

Anime based on Black Jack proper have rarely been much good, so I don't expect much out of one adapting some spinoff. Still, it's about Black Jack, and that alone is enough to get me to watch the first few episodes at least. Not really a fan of the artstyle, but so long as the writing is solid I shouldn't mind it much.

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I definitely need to read more Tezuka manga, and more of it definitely deserves to be translated, but all of these Kickkstarters got me thinking about how awesome it would be for other classic manga from the 60's and 70's from other mangaka to get funded and officially translated and released in English. Of course none are as renowned as Tezuka in the West, but it's just wishful thinking on my part.

But....would it be too much to ask to at least bring Ashita no Joe over to North America so that I could actually physically own it....and maybe also translate Kyojin no Hoshi too?

Because, at this point, I'm seriously just contemplating sending an e-mail to Hox and begging asking him if he would translate it once he clears up some of his other projects.

To bring this to something back on topic, though, I was wondering: Are all of the Dark Horse editions of Astro boy published in the flipped format, or is the manga available unflipped? Because that really bothers me if it's not.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 19, 2015, 08:26:38 PM
Are all of the Dark Horse editions of Astro boy published in the flipped format, or is the mamga available unflipped? Because that really bothers me if it's not.

I'm afraid that they are all flipped. Any scans you might find (yes, some have recently surfaced) are all flipped as well since those people just scanned the Dark Horse volumes. The omnibi coming in the fall probably won't be unflipped either, considering how Dark Horse failed to do that for their Lone Wolf and Cub and Samurai Executioner omnibus releases.  :(

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, that's a bummer. :whuh:

But, if it's the only way that I can read the manga, then I'll just bite, since I have no choice other than to flat-out learn Japanese AND also learn specifically how to read Kanji.

Honestly, though, you wouldn't think that it would be so hard for DH to digitally flip the images and just re-type the text for the new format, which anyone could do since the whole thing is already translated and done.

gunswordfist

I got weirded out going from Lone Wolf to Rurouni Kenshin thanks to them.

I just want all of Grappler Baki translated.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Storm Fairy has been funded with both stretch goals to reprint Unico and publish Crime and Punishment in print met! I kinda fucked up and forgot to add the latter two onto my pledge, but I'm sure they'll be available as add-ons in a future kickstarter (besides, I already own a digital copy of C&P anyway).