Castlevania: A Thread for the Dead

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 24, 2014, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I made a thread for Contra, so why shouldn't Castlevania get the same treatment? One of Konami's mainline series, Castlevania has also been a bit all over the map in quality and different gameplay types. So this is the thread to talk about this unique series.

Konami has tried many things with this series, so I'll try to keep it limited to the main series and platformer games, with a nod to an important game here or there. We've got a way to go, so let's get started!

Castlevania (1986) [NES / Wii / Wii U / 3DS)

28 years ago, Konami released a game called Castlevania that has been a staple series in the ensuing near-three decades. Play as member of the legendary clan known as the Belmonts, Simon Belmont, as he uses holy weapons, brute strength, and a strange sense of agility, in order to storm the evil Dracula's castle to put a stop to the monster once and for all. Castlevania is as well known for its quality in all areas as it is for its tremendous difficulty, making this game not the best starting point for people new to the series. That said, it well deserves the status it has as a classic.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (1987) [NES / Wii / Wii U / 3DS)

The sequel to the first game in the series follows in the path of a lot of NES sequels of the time period by following a bit of a different path than the original. It's still an adventure game, it's still an action platformer, and it's still got the same elements of the original, only now it's an open world experience. A precursor to future games in the series, Castlevania II is about as much about exploration as it is action this time around, leaving a lot of people conflicted as to what to classify this as. That said, despite popular internet opinion, this game is not bad, merely obscure like most sidescrolling adventure games of the era. If you like old school NES games and don't mind hugging guides or flailing blindly about to find out what to do, it's well worth your time.

Haunted Castle (1988) [Arcade]

The screenshot says it all. This game is really bad, really stupid, and really rare. But it is the first game to come out in arcades, so there you go.

Castlevania: The Adventure (1989) [Game Boy / 3DS]

Also not good. But it is the first portable Castlevania game and it later got remade into an awesome game, so I figure it's worth mentioning. Oh, and this is the first game you do not play as Simon, but an ancestor. In this game it is Christopher Belmont.

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (1989) [NES / Wii / Wii U / 3DS]

This is what I'm talking about. This is where Castlevania rose to the top of the pile. Dracula's Curse is a brutally hard game, just as the original, but this time it is due much more to the level design than before. It also features a series first in branching paths and multiple playable characters (including fan favorite Alucard) and is the first to go back in time with its story, being guided by the popular Trevor Belmont. Dracula's Curse is still to this day regularly regarded as the best game in the series, and still remains big with fans today. With good reason. While I also doubt this would make a good series introduction, it is hard to argue against such quality.

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (1991) [Game Boy]

Skipping a spin off game (which is why 1990 went by without a Castlevania game), we return to basics with this title. A short little adventure like the first game, only this one is actually good and quite fun. Starring Christopher Belmont, travel through four different castles based on the elements in any order you want. Not much to say except that if you have a Game Boy, you should be considering this for your library.

Super Castlevania IV (1991) [SNES / Wii / Wii U]

A remake of the original game, Castlevania, this is also the first game to really show what the Super Nintendo was capable of. Mode 7 scaling, atmospheric soundtrack, a creepy artstyle, and really clever level design all add tremendously to the package. There is also for the first time an eight direction attack in form of the whip that tends to make the game's combat less restrictive. Some fans are split on whether this is one of the best games in the series, but you would have to be rather biased to think it has no merits. If nothing else it is a great action platformer.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (1993) [PC-Engine CD / PSP / Wii / Wii U]

Regularly regarded as the best game in the series, Rondo of Blood stars Richter Belmont on his journey to Dracula's castle through some of the trickiest and hardest level design in the series with some of the best branching paths in an action game to that point. Multiple playable characters return, as does one of the best soundtracks in gaming (with this entry, quality rose even higher) and all the elements Castlevania is know for hits the ceiling. As for the classic Castlevania style, they don't get much better than Rondo of Blood.

Castlevania: Bloodlines (1994) [Sega Genesis]

This was a bit of an interesting project. Like Contra: Hard Corps., Konami used the Genesis not just to pointlessly port Super Castlevania IV, but instead to give the Genesis its own style of Castlevania. This is a world-hopping adventure and the first where you don't play as a Belmont, (you play as John Morris, yes, that's a Bram Stoker reference, or Eric Lecarde), and the game is otherwise a straightforward action game. It's just a really good one.

Castlevania: Dracula X (1995) [SNES / Wii U]

It's a port of Rondo of Blood with worse level design, cheaper bosses, and less content. Thanks, Konami, I guess.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997) [PlayStation / Sega Saturn / PSP / Xbox 360]

A sequel to Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night is one of the most important games in the genre, let alone the series. The term "Metroidvania" derives from this very game where you level up, acquire new skills, and explore a gigantic castle at your leisure. There is much to do, much to see, and much to find in your journey through Dracula's castle. This time you play as Alucard as he attempts to find the missing Richter Belmont and foil Dracula's scheme. Unfortunately, after this game, Castlevania became less of a focus for Konami, and the quality games would fall further apart. That said, this is one of the best games ever made. Do yourself a favor and find a copy somehow, someway.

Castlevania: Legends (1997) [Game Boy]

Originally a history of the Belmont clan before it was retconned, Sonia Belmont stars in this, the final Game Boy Castlevania title. It's a good little game and well worthy of the title. It's just a shame it's fairly obscure now.

Castlevania 64 (1999) [Nintendo 64]

While not as abominable as the 3D Contra games, this game is just not very good and there isn't much to say. It is the first 3D Castlevania game, but then, Bubsy 3D was the first 3D Bubsy game. It doesn't really matter. It's otherwise exactly what you would expect an early 3D action adventure game to be.

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (1999) [Nintendo 64]

Part remake of the first 3D Castlevania (even including a bunch of that game's content), and part prequel, it is otherwise as boring as that game. It's better than the first one, but that isn't really saying much. The series, unfortunately, continues its slide into irrelevance.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (2001) [Game Boy Advance / Wii U]

This game was hyped a lot before it came out. The first 2D Castlevania since SOTN, and the first portable Metroidvania in the series, as well as launching on the incredibly hyped Game Boy Advance, there was much said about this game. Did the hype deliver? Surprisingly, yes. The game received high reviews and high marks, citing only two issues. The first being the sound quality is very 8-bit and that the game can be hard to see at points. Being that the game was originally in development for the Game Boy Color before being buffed up for the new Nintendo handheld, both are rather excusable and irrelevant now with better ways to play. COTM tries its best to combine the best elements of Metroidvania-style Castlevania with the action-style and challenge the older games were more known for, as you play as Nathan Graves as he attempts to survive a situation that is way over his head. It rather succeeded and became THE GBA killer app at the time of its release. It also gave the series a home as 2D was becoming rather unwelcome in the console sphere.

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (2002) [Game Boy Advance / Wii U]

While COTM was being updated to the GBA, Koji Igarashi's Castlevania team began work on their first project, this game, Harmony of Dissonance, as an attempt to bring the SOTN style to the handheld system. Unlike COTM's attempt to bridge old and new in the series, HoD does not succeed at what it tries to do. It features two mirror castles that the player (as Juste Belmont) must explore in order to stop the resurrection of Dracula. The soundtrack, level design, and bosses are fairly dull, leading to this title getting rather forgotten over time. It's technically impressive, but clearly the weakest of the GBA portable titles.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003) [Game Boy Advance / Wii U]

The final GBA Castlevania, this time starring Soma Cruz, was where Konami went all out. Featuring a new soul system, a plot taking place in the future, and a much improved soundtrack, Aria of Sorrow is regularly considered one of the best Castlevania games. Your main character is rather different from the whip wielders the series is known for, centering instead on a character who uses souls of his defeated enemies to power up and learn new abilities. As far as the GBA goes, it was a good end to a strange period in Castlevania history.

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (2003) [PlayStation 2]

Another attempt at 3D Castlevania, another miss. The biggest difference is that this stars Leon Belmont and is basically the first game in the timeline. It's not actually a bad game, just fairly generic. I'll be skipping the rest of the 3D games to save space.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (2005) [Nintendo DS]

Castlevania returns with a rare direct sequel, this time to Aria of Sorrow. Soma's unique soul system makes a return as does the weird futuristic setting the Sorrow games are known for. There isn't much to say about this one except that it's a follow-up from the previous game. Fans of that will most likely enjoy this one.

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (2006) [Nintendo DS]

A sequel to Bloodlines, Portrait of Ruin features a Dual Crush mode which allows a brand new style of attack, combining the player character attacks into a big strike. Otherwise there isn't much to say because I haven't played this one yet.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (2008) [Nintendo DS]

Playing as the mysterious Shannoa, Order of Ecclesia features a bit of departure from the usual Metroidvania formula. Instead of traversing a gigantic castle, players are given an overworld to explore, much like Simon's Quest back on the NES. This leads to a much different style of level design, and possibly the toughest the series has been since Circle of the Moon or even Dracula X. The game was considered to be a breath of fresh air in the stale-growing series, also offering a brand new glyph system for players to use. Unfortunately, it was also the last main series game Igarashi would produce.

Castlevania: Judgement (2008) [Nintendo Wii]

A goofy party game with a fighting game shell. The most notable thing about it is that the artist from Death Note handled the character designs. Otherwise this is for fans only.

Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (2009) [Nintendo Wii]

The first classic Castlevania game since Dracula X, ReBirth is also a remake of the disappointing Game Boy title featuring old school level design and branching paths in the levels themselves, as well as a good level of difficulty and a great soundtrack. The double edged sword to this is that to date it is also the last classic Castlevania title released.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (2010) [Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3]

A multiplayer, co-op, party game, HD (Get it?) is the first Castlevania game developed for HD systems and the first offering four player co-op. It's not the tightest or most challenging game in the series, but it is a fun experiment, well worthy of the try they gave.

And that's basically it. There have been a few 3D games since, but none of them really feel much like Castlevania, and since Koji Igarashi (the man basically keeping the series alive) has left Konami, the series does not look like it has many bright days ahead.

Still, this is one of the most popular and important series in gaming and deserves a fair shake from anyone who calls themselves a gamer. Use this thread to share your thoughts and opinions on this groundbreaking series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Jeez. Didn't realize the Castlevania franchise actually had more entries than most video game series not named Mario. :o

Epic post. Very detailed.

Rynnec

I wouldn't say COTM's sound quality sounds 8-bit at all. In fact, I'd say it has the best sound quality of all the GBA Castelvania's.

I haven't played many games in this series, and I haven't finished any of them, but I do really like the concept and characters. A shame all of that was abandoned.

Avaitor

Oh, this was a lot of fun to read!

Although I'm again reminded of how little of the franchise I've played. I tried out a little of one of the GBA games a decade or so ago (I don't even remember which one), but that's it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Thanks for the comments! My playthroughs of the GBA games really made me want to put something out there for this series

Quote from: Rynnec on October 24, 2014, 09:33:52 PM
I wouldn't say COTM's sound quality sounds 8-bit at all. In fact, I'd say it has the best sound quality of all the GBA Castelvania's.
Neither would I, but it was among the criticisms I found when I looked it up. Seems to be that nobody says it anymore, which is good.

Quote from: Rynnec on October 24, 2014, 09:33:52 PMI haven't played many games in this series, and I haven't finished any of them, but I do really like the concept and characters. A shame all of that was abandoned.
Well, Konami.

That said, looking over the list there are only a few bad eggs in the bunch. I'd be hard-pressed to pass on most of them. Of course, SCIV, Rondo, III, SOTN, and Adventure ReBirth are all top notch games well worth playing, and I have a hard time imagining disliking them.

EDIT: Part of my post got eaten. Now it should have all the games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 24, 2014, 08:07:52 PM

Dracula's Curse is still to this day regularly regarded as the best game in the series, and still remains big with fans today.

Regularly regarded as the best game in the series

So, which one is regularly regarded by fans as the true best? I thought most favored Symphony of the Night, actually. :P

Just kidding. Seriously though, great post. I love the first decade or so of Castlevania.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 24, 2014, 10:08:15 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 24, 2014, 08:07:52 PM

Dracula's Curse is still to this day regularly regarded as the best game in the series, and still remains big with fans today.

Regularly regarded as the best game in the series

So, which one is regularly regarded by fans as the true best? I thought most favored Symphony of the Night, actually. :P

Just kidding. Seriously though, great post. I love the first decade or so of Castlevania.
Castlevania fans are strange.

I've seen people call SCIV garbage and say Rondo is the best. I've seen people call SOTN terrible and call Dracula's Curse the best. I've also seen people say the series was only good on the NES.

There are as many "best" games in the series as there are "worst", depending on where you look.

Spark Of Spirit

I just started Aria of Sorrow. Instant improvement over HoD. Better presentation, music, sprites, and I like the weapons and soul system.

Definitely looking forward to the rest.  8-)

gunswordfist

i had no clue super castlevania iv was a remake of the first game...which makes the game's title that much more confusing. i will be sure to get legends and belmont's revenge. they sound good.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 25, 2014, 01:02:34 AM
i had no clue super castlevania iv was a remake of the first game...which makes the game's title that much more confusing. i will be sure to get legends and belmont's revenge. they sound good.
You'd probably like the Kid Dracula spin-off games I didn't mention. One for the NES and one for the Game Boy. They're fun little platformers, but pretty much have nothing to do with Castlevania other than the Dracula theme.

gunswordfist

Rynnec

Dave Cox is leaving Konami.

This guy was one of the producers and writers for the Lords of Shadows series.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Depends on what you think of the LoS games. They weren't that good, they didn't sell too well, and now there's no one to push them forward. But now that Iga is gone, I don't see anyone else around to make them games, either. Double-edged sword.

In other news I beat(?) Aria of Sorrow with 4 hours of play. I think I need to collect ancient books to get the real ending, though, so I'm not done yet. That said, it's way better than HoD.

Spark Of Spirit

Beat it for real with a total of 5 and a half. While it's easily the shortest game of the three, it makes up for it by not being dull. The different powers, weapons, and souls, made this totally unlike the other games I've played in the series. Now that I'm catching up with the portable games, it's a shame to know there won't be any more new ones.

Oh well. So with that I've beaten all three GBA Castlevania games. Good stuff. If you enjoy Metroidvanias, you really should play both Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow. They're really great games.