Castlevania: A Thread for the Dead

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 24, 2014, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Well, if we have to get R-rated Mega Man we can do a lot worse than of the guys behind Dredd. That was a fantastic movie.

Rynnec

Okay, R-rated Castlevania makes sense since their is a lot of things in its aesthetic that would translate well, and other games and anime with similar settings have gotten such ratings as well, especially given the franchises influences. But how the hell would an R-rated Megaman even begin to make sense? The entire series was inspired by classic childrens anime such as Astro Boy and Casshern, and the tone was always that of a sunday morning anime. Even the darker iterations like the more cyberpunk-influenced X and Zero only reach PG-13 levels at best. There is no way an R-rated Megaman would work outside of crossovers like Project X Zone. Granted, I should probably expect such idiocy from the guy behind Power/Rangers.

A Contra anime would be interesting, but I'd prefer if they adapt Hard Corps and Uprising since there's more to work with there. And I do agree with Shankar about Metal Gear though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, Astro Boy does get insanely dark for a children's manga in the One Upon A Time story-line, but even then it never becomes gratuitously violent. And Mega Man has always been light-hearted, and you're fighting robots, so there'd be no opportunity for blood or guts to be shown. An R-rated Mega Man simply doesn't make sense, and I'm getting sick of idiots who think that everything needs to be rated R just because it became a popular trend to make hard R adaptations of stuff in recent years. Movies like Kingsman, Deapool, and Logan make sense as R-rated features because their source material contained content that could not be properly conveyed with a stricter rating. Stuff like Mega Man is and always has been family-friendly in its content, and any sane adaptation would be in line with that.

Dr. Insomniac

This guy is reaching Max Landis levels of filmmakers going too ambitious but in the wrong direction. Dredd was cool, but it appears to be one gem amongst a sea of edgy fanfilms that Shankar's produced, like he wants to make adult versions of all the media he experienced as a kid whether or not it would even work. I'm sure if he did make an R-rated Mega Man, and his friends told him it sucked, he would immediately backtrack and say it's another satire of grimdark remakes. Which would gain the approval of so many fans, and he would go on another parade of interviews where he says he wants to challenge the Hollywood structure even though he's doing the very thing he criticizes them of doing.

Spark Of Spirit

Contra was a missed opportunity. An old school style OVA/movie for the original game would have been great back in the day. It would probably be lame now. But a 12-13 episode series based on Hard Corps. could probably work if done by the right people.

Thing is, if we're going to old gaming franchises, very few in an R-Rated setting would work. Castlevania could. Contra could. Ninja Gaiden could (and technically has).

Mega Man? No. Like Streets of Rage, Bomberman, Monster World, Blaster Master, and Star Fox, it's an action series that quite squarely aims no higher than PG-13.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

I usually try to hold off on playing these games until fall, but between news of the animated series and some discussions of it popping up in some other boards I lurk, I've been on a low Castlevania kick as of late. To further satiate my craving for more Castlevania I came across Serio's Castlevania Fighter and have been playing a lot of it these past couple weeks. It's basically a game based around the Igavania boss rush modes, which are really fun, and this fangame is no exception, but it can get very hectic since there's no true pause function, at least with my laptops setup. since it's a fangame you obviously don't have to pay anything for it, well worth getting if you're a CV fan and have a good computer. The roster also blows the one from the official Castlevania fighter out of the water, though some of the choices are a bit bizarre (Ronald Mcdonald and Duke Nukem?).

Daikun

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

It looks good, at least. Here's hoping the writing is up to snuff.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Rynnec

gunswordfist

Peanutbutter

Hope its good so that it opens the floodgates on more good game adaptations for TV and/or movies.

Spark Of Spirit

The original Contra adapted to a six episode-style OVA written by Derek Kolstad and starring Arnold and Sly.

That is all.

Rynnec

A preview was shown at Anime Expo.

This is looking really solid. Friday is only two days away and it still can't come soon enough! :shakeshakeshake: