BYE FELICIA! (they got sold)

Started by Lord Dalek, December 07, 2014, 06:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

If this is legit, DWA's assets will be merged into Illumitoon with Meladandri running the company. A marriage made in hell if you ask me.

Nameless

I admit, it does feel kind of vindicating to see the Classic Media properties brought up as examples of things Comcast might want to buy. They get ragged on a lot, and while most of it isn't exactly top-tier stuff, it does feel like older animation has fallen on hard times lately.

Commode

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Lord Dalek

Well they've lost their self-autonomity, Katzenberg got kicked up stairs, The Meladandri announcement is probably imminent, yeah welcome to DWAINO.

Peanutbutter

QuoteKatzenberg calls NBCU "the perfect home for our company." The $41 a share price represents a 27% premium over yesterday's closing price for DWA and "delivers significant value for our shareholders."

Because the most incompetent cable/media corporation in the world is the perfect place for an animation studio like DreamWorks. I guess for an idiot like him it makes perfect sense.

Nameless

NBCUniversal is actually pretty decently run. It's not the dumpster fire it was under Jeff Zucker for sure.

I'm worried that the Illumination leadership will suck whatever ambition DWA has out of it, but I hope Universal is good to the DreamWorks Classics characters. They have a history with some of them anyway (e.g. Casper, Dudley Do-Right, Rocky & Bullwinkle - their adaptations of those last two set them back years, but Universal has a chance to redeem themselves now)

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Nameless on April 28, 2016, 02:25:11 PM
NBCUniversal is actually pretty decently run. It's not the dumpster fire it was under Jeff Zucker for sure.

I'm worried that the Illumination leadership will suck whatever ambition DWA has out of it, but I hope Universal is good to the DreamWorks Classics characters. They have a history with some of them anyway (e.g. Casper, Dudley Do-Right, Rocky & Bullwinkle - their adaptations of those last two set them back years, but Universal has a chance to redeem themselves now)

Not as bad as then, but seems like Blacklist is the only non-Hannibal show anyone gives a crap about.

Daikun

Katzenberg should've just gone back to Spielberg. The other DreamWorks (the non-animation one) is owned by Amblin. They would've done wonders back together under the same roof, and Steven would've kept the company financially stable. Jeff, ya dun fucked up.

Oh, well. It's all in the past now. DWA is now Illumination's bitch. Minions Marketing Madness, here we come!

Daxdiv

Quote from: Daikun on April 30, 2016, 04:36:13 AM
Katzenberg should've just gone back to Spielberg. The other DreamWorks (the non-animation one) is owned by Amblin. They would've done wonders back together under the same roof, and Steven would've kept the company financially stable. Jeff, ya dun fucked up.

Oh, well. It's all in the past now. DWA is now Illumination's bitch. Minions Marketing Madness, here we come!

Minions meet Shrek movie... when?

Peanutbutter

Rising YouTube Animation critic SaberSpark did an episode partly laying out the troubled history of DreamWorks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od-tQN8C48s

I agree DreamWorks has suffered quite a bit over the years by not having a full brand identity like Disney and Pixar, thanks in large part to them not having a consistent line of hits. I think the better point he makes though, is that DreamsWorks was almost cursed from the start since their foundation was revenge towards Disney. Thus they didn't have the right focus when they started gaining momentum.

Daikun

NBCUniversal will be rebranding Sprout in September, and DWA will make up the backbone for its programming.

http://www.nickandmore.com/2017/05/01/sprout-rebranding-to-universal-kids

Good to know they finally have an outlet without having to resort to Netflix.

Daikun