BYE FELICIA! (they got sold)

Started by Lord Dalek, December 07, 2014, 06:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nameless

Yeah. The Prince of Egypt, Joseph: King of Dreams, The Road to El Dorado, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, and Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (the latter of which tanked so hard that it almost bankrupted DreamWorks - which was still one company back then) were theirs.

Spark Of Spirit

I can understand why people hate DreamWorks Animation. They are responsible for about every bad trend that has emerged in animated movies since Shrek came out. Before that you would be hard-pressed to find many low-brow animated movies, and certainly you wouldn't find any that were top-sellers, and since then it seems the animated world has been awash in them aside from Pixar and recent Disney releases.

Of course I want those who had jobs there to continue in the field and make movies, hopefully more along the lines of DWA's better films, but as for the studio itself, I can't say I'll miss them as a whole.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

They still have a bunch of movies lined up, so I'm sure the movies will keep being made even if they rearrange this studio.

Goldstar

Dreamworks was in talks to make a deal with Hasbro, but those plans fell through. Jefferey Katzenburg keeps asking for too much money and stroke, and as a result, nobody wants to play ball with him.

It's too bad that Katzenburg dropped the ball when it came to a buyout, because I enjoyed some of the Dreamworks animated films. I liked Mr. Peabody and Sherman, myself, although I'm obviously in the minority, given the film's poor performance at the box office.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Spark Of Spirit

I doubt Home will help them very much. They're back in full-on pop culture garbage mode from the trailers I've seen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

That the one with the incredibly annoying purple alien? Good god, that seems horrible.

Spark Of Spirit

That's the one. Hits every single one of Dreamworks' bad habits without shame.

Silverstar

Quote from: Nel_Annette on February 24, 2015, 11:46:40 PM
That the one with the incredibly annoying purple alien? Good god, that seems horrible.

And to add to Oh (the alien)'s annoyance factor, he's voiced by Jim Parsons.

I saw a prequel short starring those aliens, Almost Home, in the theater before Mr. Peabody & Sherman. Don't remember seeing the Jim Parsons alien though.

The obligatory kid in the movie, Gratuity "Tip" Tucci (get it?) has an appealing design, at least, though I'm not sure what to make of her character; in the initial trailer I saw, I figured she was about 12 or 13, but then they showed her driving a car.

Of course to make it trendy, she's voiced by Rihanna.  :wth:
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Avaitor

Home does seem like a more obnoxious Lilo & Stitch clone to me. The voice acting and trailers don't convince me that there'll be much more to it, either.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

Quote from: Silverstar on February 25, 2015, 09:27:38 AM
Quote from: Nel_Annette on February 24, 2015, 11:46:40 PM

And to add to Oh (the alien)'s annoyance factor, he's voiced by Jim Parsons.

You know what the worse part of that is? It's basically his character from Big Bang Theory in alien form. No really, all the quotes from the trailers & TV promos feels like Sheldon is in an alien suit and the humor comes from his misunderstanding of human life.

Nel_Annette

Oh, it's that motherfucker? I looooaaaaathe Big Bang Theory, and find that guy insanely obnoxious. The way they've got that alien talking in that "I just learned English so it's funny" way is cringe-worthy.

I agree with Silverstar too (nice to see you back, I don't think I've seen you in months), I actually really like the lead girl's design and find it depressing that she's being wasted on a movie this crap-looking.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 24, 2015, 11:41:50 PM
They're back in full-on pop culture garbage mode from the trailers I've seen.

Did they ever really get out of that?

Silverstar

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 07, 2015, 07:57:57 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 24, 2015, 11:41:50 PM
They're back in full-on pop culture garbage mode from the trailers I've seen.

Did they ever really get out of that?

They did with the How to Train Your Dragon films and Rise of the Guardians, but those were few and far between.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.