Boomerang

Started by Commode, January 20, 2015, 01:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commode

You know what, we never really talk about this channel, but that may be because I'm probably like one of two or three people on this forum that actually get it.  But I guess as of the morning of January 19th the channel has rebranded, with a new look and a new logo.  Supposedly less classic programming is going to appear(although it's still playing The Flinstones, which just ended, and Looney Tunes, which are starting up now), and the bumpers with the toys are long gone after nearly 15 years.  I wonder where all the Hanna-Barbera shows are gonna go now?

So here's a place to talk about the channel you don't get. 
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Daikun

This is a channel I've always been indifferent about. It's fun if you just want to watch random old shows without having to be selective. Premieres weren't really a concern like they are on CN. Just switch to the channel and enjoy.

The rebrand is kinda half-assed, IMO. It's the same few bumpers with different characters running around. After watching for about an hour, I'd seen them all already. They've been announcing this rebrand for nearly a year, and THIS is all they made in that time? I'd expect at least a bit of variety after making us wait for so long.

EDIT: After about a day, they've added a few new bumpers. I'm glad they're trying new things. This could take some getting used to, though... (Boomerang's repetitive schedule could prove detrimental in this case.)

I'm going to miss Michael Kohler's classic themes for the channel; they were addictive as hell.

Daikun

Quote from: Daikun on January 20, 2015, 01:54:48 AMI'm going to miss Michael Kohler's classic themes for the channel; they were addictive as hell.

It seems he also did the music for the rebrand. :joy: I'm glad to see he's still on board.

Silverstar

Boomerang has supposedly rebranded itself as a first-run sister channel to Cartoon Network aimed at younger kids (aged 4-9 or 4-11) and families; it will supposedly feature some imports from the international Boomerangs, have original programming for the first time in its' broadcast history and some (though not all) of the older shows are said to be sticking around during non-peak viewing hours. But so far it's just been double-bills of the same 4 shows looping nonstop. Someone on TZ claims that Boomerang is undergoing a "stealth" rebrand, meaning the new shows are going to sneak in gradually rather coming in all at once; if that's the case, then I think they've made a huge blunder. They should have ushered in the changes from the get-go instead of meandering with the same 4 shows endlessly until the Upfront in May. If Turner is trying to make Boomerang more appealing to mainstream markets so it will get picked up by more cable/satellite providers, then they're shooting themselves in the foot with this half-assed display.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daikun

Quote from: Silverstar on February 22, 2015, 09:01:03 AMSomeone on TZ claims that Boomerang is undergoing a "stealth" rebrand, meaning the new shows are going to sneak in gradually rather coming in all at once; if that's the case, then I think they've made a huge blunder. They should have ushered in the changes from the get-go instead of meandering with the same 4 shows endlessly until the Upfront in May.

CN's upfront was already announced, and three shows from last year weren't mentioned in the press release. Hopefully, at least one of these shows can premiere before May.

I'm disappointed that Turner waited way too late to rebrand Boomerang and gave it a slow burn. They should've launched the rebrand a week earlier to coincide with the Numb Chucks premiere; at least they'd have something to commemorate for it. Instead, the rebrand wound up being an uneventful breath of hot air.

Silverstar

I meant Boomerang's Upfront. That's supposed to come out in May.

Yeah, Turner really dropped the ball with this rebrand. By the time the new stuff finally arrives (which I'm guessing will be spring by the sounds of it), nobody's gonna care. People are already pissed off by this rebrand. Of course the retro-snobs hate it because the classic cartoons have all but vanished (though the original Flintstones, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Powerpuff Girls, Smurfs and Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? are still there) and they're pissing their pants because Boomerang's not an archive channel anymore (though it hasn't been that since last February when it became ad-supported), I'm disappointed by it because it's too little change and the projected wait for things to improve is too long.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Nameless

Those shows are still there, but there's a lot of worthwhile old H-B stuff that WB needs to put somewhere like DVD or streaming, seeing as how it may well never appear on American television again (e.g. seasons 2-4 of Huck and the whole run of Quick Draw's show, and on a long shot Ruff & Reddy and 2 Stupid Dogs). I honestly prefer the Huck/Quick Draw/Yogi trifecta to the Flintstones or Scooby.

Most of the popular/worthwhile H-B material has already been put on DVD though. In my heart I still carry a torch for some of the misfits like the Cattanooga Cats (which I know is coming to DVD when hell freezes over but still).

Daikun

The first new change to the network since the rebrand: Bugs-ter Weekend, a 3-day Bugs Bunny marathon during Easter break.

LumRanmaYasha

That makes me regret not having it anymore. Oh well.

Daxdiv

This is reminding me of June Bugs. Gonna be a nice mix of classic Looney Tunes and The Looney Tunes Show.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Tom & Jerry Tales joins Boomerang on May 23 as part of a T&J marathon.

Well, color me surprised. I thought that show would've been on the network already.

Also, the upfront is mere days away.

Daikun

Silverstar

It doesn't sound that interesting to me, but it's good to hear that Boomerang may be giving us at least 1 new show, given all the fantastic newness we were promised.

Daikun

The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries finally comes to Boomerang!

July 13-17 from 6-7PM.