Rock n Roll

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 06, 2011, 11:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

The form of music that was created as an uptempo alternative to the Blues and eventually spun off into many sub genres, but lets just talk about good old Rock n Roll.

Back when music was not made wholesale from corporate decisions and marketing tie ins. When music was a simple few chords, a beat, and was just a joy to listen to with no deep meaning except that life is fun and let's go live it. Punk rock was originally supposed to be a return to this style of music after the incessant bloat and self importance the genre was infected with started to poison the audience, but punk (which actually WAS originally called new wave) was co-opted by people with a political agenda they felt they needed to fit into it making a lot of the music embarrassing to listen to nowadays.

But the spirit of original rock n roll still lived on and is still listened to today despite being almost forgotten by both hipsters and mainstream audiences, it's still there.

So let's appreciate it!

I, for one, love how much emphasis was placed on rhythm making it ideal for dancing, or just rocking along to. It may not be fast considering how fast music eventually got, but for those who just want to listen to something as simple and straightforward as possible with a lot of heart and soul poured into it, rock n roll is as good as it gets. I think that the best rock n roll is the kind that still remembers it's roots in blues, but really I just enjoy how honest and straightforward it feels.

Here are some classics:

The Big Bopper - The Clock
Bo Diddley - Road Runner
Buddy Holly & His Crickets - Oh Boy
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Katmandu
New York Dolls - Lookin' For A Kiss (Ignore the moron at the beginning who has probably never listened to a NYD record in his life)
Flamin' Groovies - Doctor Boogie
Chuck Berry - Reelin' & Rockin'
George Thorogood & The Destroyers - Get A Haircut

Any favorites of your own?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I've been playing a bunch of Buddy Holly and Duane Eddy today.

Some of the funnest music ever made. When I play stuff like that, I'm usually feeling up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

For my, it's all about the rhythm that you just don't get from music anymore. It somehow got lost over the years of trying to play louder and faster, and IMO it's a crucial element missing from the genre nowadays.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

You guys all need to listen to this album:

One of the very first great albums in rock that's not a compilation. It has everything, classic rock n roll, instrumental surf, '50s pop, blues, traditional stuff, and even a few blue-eyed soul tunes. Also, 'Misirlou Twist' is the best version of that classic song. It's still a classic to listen to nowadays. The remastered version even has some cool bonus tracks like the normal version Miserlou, Del-Tone Rock, and A Run For Life.

Seriously, seek this one out.

EDIT: At least, listen to this monster. I love this album.