Marvel's Agent Carter

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 31, 2015, 03:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I figured that this show deserves its own thread after all.

After the amalgam of mediocrity and downright crap that was AOS, I wasn't looking forward to anymore Marvel spin-off shows. I was even more upset that they would be screwing with the Captain America mythos, being that this is specifically a spin-off of my favorite Marvel movie.

Thankfully that's not what happened, and this show is like a straight-up apology to people who were letdown by AOS. I'm so glad that it's good. Now I can say that my favorite Marvel movie and character has both an excellent sequel and an excellent spin-off.

This feels like a really entertaining spy-thriller mixed in with some Bordwalk Empire (even going so far as to cast one of the main actors from that show in this one), except done in the MCU, and so far it has gotten off to a strong start. I definitely recommend it to any fans of the Captain America movies.

If the rest of the season is as strong or even better than the first few episodes, than this could end up matching or possibly even surpassing Arrow as my favorite comic book show, which is a tall order, but I'm certainly not complaining about that. I really hope that this show gets good ratings, as it would be a travesty if this doesn't get renewed for more episodes when AOS managed to despite not earning it.

Avaitor

What are your final thoughts on the season?

In truth, this wasn't perfect. When you get down to it, the material was little more than your average espionage stuff, but what makes this work regardless is Peggy herself, who is just a great character. Smart, determined, but never a drag, Hayley Atwell is perfect as her. She's also accompanied well by Jarvis, whose relationship with her is one of the show's highlights, and the flashes of Howard Stark that we get. The rest of the cast varies, and I do wish the series had more time for Peggy to be around the female characters. Her resolution with Dottie should have felt bigger, but I think it fell a little flat as they just didn't have the two together as much as they should have.

So yeah, not perfect. But it was still a fun watch, and great to look at, much better than AOS' flatness. After a poor first attempt for a live-action series, Marvel made serious improvement, and I hope that they can expand on that with the upcoming Netflix shows, as well as a potential second season.

Marvel seems fairly confident about the show's renewal despite lackluster ratings. I've even seen mention of the Winter Soldier making his way into a second season.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually hope that this gets a second season. Unlike AOS, this show actually deserves it.

I feel like as far as first seasons go, it's a solid start, and has a clear path that it could go to improve in quality. For comparison to another good comic book show, just look at Arrow. Its first season was also far from perfect, but look at how much better it has gotten over time. I feel that the same sort of thing could be done with Agent Carter.