How have your music tastes changed over time?

Started by Markness, May 30, 2016, 07:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Madonna's early work (like her first few albums) ain't bad in my opinion, but have you heard her new material? Bitch I'm Madonna is one of the worst songs ever. Lord have mercy.

Despite my earlier shitpost, I think my tastes have kind of moved in a similar trajectory to all of yours. I listen to a lot of rockabilly and especially psychobilly these days, I just downloaded the complete discography of Duran Duran & Tears For Fears to listen to at work, and - though I'll probably never truly get into it - country music has grown on me a lot as well. I also share Commode's hatred for Toby Keith. I think I'm more into bluegrass and southern blues than full-on country, but I don't mind listening to the good stuff at all.

Psychobilly as a genre is out of this world good. It combines my favorite parts of rockabilly & punk rock with lyrics inspired by horror movies and shit. All the musicians and superfans dress like zombie punks from the deep south. If you want to try getting into this stuff then definitely play Wet for PS3/360. It's not a particularly good game, but the soundtrack is fucking delicious. I feel like video games introduce me to most of my favorite music genres actually...

Quote from: Kiddington on July 25, 2017, 04:21:16 AM
I unironically enjoy Ariana Grande -- 10 years ago, maybe even five years ago I wouldn't have dared. And for the most part I still don't really get into pop acts of that ilk, but I think she's fantastic and I will not hear otherwise (picture Avaitor/Demi, ala 2012). Go figure, the older I get the less refined my musical tastes become.
Let's all admit who our pop music queens are ITT. Marina & The Diamonds (yes that's one person) is mine. The Family Jewels is one of my all-time favorite albums. I love her voice and her lyrics and her production. 99% of her male fans are gay so my fiancee (who introduced me to her, btw) is starting to wonder about me. I also enjoy listening to her other favorite artists like Lana Del Rey and Charli XCX (Sucker is honestly a damn good girl-punk/pop album (I refuse to call it pop-punk because that shit is disgusting)). She introduced me to Florence Welch's first band Ashok which combined funk, rock, & hip hop, and their single record is fucking amazing. I spin it constantly. Oh, and Emotion by Carly Rae Jepsen is a fucking banger.

Aside from that, I think my tastes for certain genres have either deepened or lessened with time. Funky hip hop is definitely my favorite kind of music. I can't go a full day without listening to either The Coup or Jurassic 5 (I even like Feedback! Brown Girl is the worst, though); I literally never get tired of listening to the same 80-odd songs over and over. I'm slowly working my way through the entire Wu-Tang Clan discography right now - that's every album by every one of their members. Never thought I'd love Method Man as much as I do.

That Handsome Devil is still my favorite band and I froth at the mouth every time there's even a hint of Godforbid dropping a new track. Galactic, Parliament-Funkadelic, Parov Stelar, Gogol Bordello, Fun Lovin' Criminals, and Electric Six are pretty much constants for me. Dick Valentine's side project Evil Cowards is really damn good, a lot better than the more recent E6 albums which I've found disappointing despite some of the singular songs being fantastic. My appreciation for Fishbone has only grown with time, but I can't listen to much of their stuff post-Reality of My Surroundings without cringing a bit (especially Crazy Glue. wow that album is bad). That said, I think The Psychotic Friends Nuttwerx might actually be my favorite of their releases. The lyrics are vapid but I can't get enough of the great musicianship on that record. I'm also trying to get more into electro-swing, punk rock, and gypsy music. I've still got the complete discographies of Earth Wind & Fire and Tom Waits to listen to as well. Don't really enjoy much classic rock anymore unfortunately, like Kiddington I find bands like AC/DC to be fairly uninteresting. I think this is also a good time to reiterate my hatred for Master of Puppets (the song, not the album). :D

Commode

Madonna was good up to and including Ray of Light.  Not really into anything of hers past that.

Ariana is alright, can jam to some of her stuff.  Used to really be into Marina and the Diamonds a few years back, haven't listened to her in a while.  Charli XCX puts out some dope tracks, her last mixtape she put out a few months back was pretty good.  Lana Del Rey just put out Lust For Life, which is really good.  And former rock-ish bands like Tegan and Sara and Paramore are putting out some great pop albums.  Saw a T&S show last year in Richmond(the day after the election actually, think the whole Trump thing actually made the show better) and it was just straight fire.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

Quote from: YoRHa No.2 on July 25, 2017, 12:46:59 PM
Lana Del Rey was always the queen of pop and anyone who shat on her in 2011 because of SNL is a fucking moron.
No lies detected. Her unreleased self-titled album is dope as hell.

Commode

Quote from: Foggle on July 25, 2017, 03:09:21 AM
RED SOLO CUP I FILL YOU UP LET'S HAVE A PARTY
One of the country stations here keeps playing that song he did in response to 9/11 and it's like do you idiots realize how dated this stupid song is?  Knock off playing that shit.

Wish someone could go back to 2001 when he was recording that song and inform him that 16 years later we'd still be involved with the failure of that war and the next one.  Or that it took nearly a decade to even catch and kill Bin Laden.  Gah such a bad song.

Commode

Honestly looking forward to Miley Cyrus' new album, "Malibu" is one of the best songs on the radio right now.  Hope the rest of the album is as good as that song.

Avaitor

My tastes haven't really changed all that much, except that I'm more into fusion and grind than ever.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

My tastes have only gotten heavier over the years. I've been a metalhead ever since 2011/2012, but back in high-school I mainly listened to videogame soundtracks, remixes, and anime OP's along with "anything that sounded good".  My friend in highschool did and has introudced me to a lot of other bands over the years such as The Birthday Massacre, Tsunami Bomb, The Distillers, and Sister Sin, which did help me broaden my musical taste. I rediscovered Daft Punk and Gorillaz thanks to youtube and began listening to more of their songs from there, I also started listening to Rise Against and Dragon Force thanks to Guitar Hero, and Cryoshell thanks to Bionicle. Any other bands I listened to was because of their use in videogames and anime, and most others I just listened to single song I liked from them, usually after hearing it in a music video or something. Ironically extreme music turned me off during this time.

It wasn't until 2009 when I started to discover my musical taste leaned more towards heavier rock stuff, mostly thanks to videogames.  Hearing a few songs from BlazBlue and Devil May Cry really opened up the floodgates for me, around that time I started listening to other non-VG  material from bands like Crush 40 and Julien-K. After high-school is when I really began exploring myself musically thanks to having more free time and less fatigue, started listening to a few artist used by Adult Swim and discovered new music from my old favorites and artists I had previously only heard one song from like The Offpsring and Joe Satriani. Listening to more tracks by BlazBlue and Guilty Gear, I started to realize I wanted to hear more music like this, and by 2011 I had started listening to Iron Maiden, which would eventually become my favorite band. From there I started discovering more classic bands like Black Sabbath, Queen, Motorhead, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Dio, etc.  along with more modern bands like Pantera, Alice in Chains, Blind Guardian and Iced Earth. I started to familiarize myself with band members and albums because I wanted to know the people behind the music I liked and what their sound brought to the table. It wasn't until 2013/14 that I started to buy entire albums both physically and digitially and now my room is filled with over 3 dozen of them. Naturally as time went by I started to discover more heavier and extreme bands to the point where I even started to like Death Metal, Black Metal, and Grindcore.

Nowadays I listen to a large variety of metal and am starting to get a newfound appreciation for sub-genre's and artists I previously scoffed at like Korn and Rob Zombie, my preference, however ultimately leans towards death metal (particularly melodeath). I still love the classic's but I'm always willing to give modern bands a try, with newer ones I love including Skeletonwitch, Goatwhore, and Municipal Waste. I'll usually pick up the latest Decibel or whatever to discover new bands to listen to, and brush up on history to discover classics I may have missed. About the only sub-genre I don't like is Glam for sounding too light and commercial, and Metalcore/Deathcore for just not being my thing, and even then Sturgeon's Law still applies and I'll find the 10% that does appeal to me.

Outside of metal my tastes remain varied. I still love Daft Punk (which is  easily my favorite non-metal band) and most of the bands I listened to in highschool, and have started getting into more old-school Gothic Rock like Joy Division and Sisters of Mercy.  Also been trying to get into techno/rave, D&B and some hip-hop like The Wu-Tan Clan.

Avaitor

In hindsight, I have become a little more open to pop music. I really like Beyonce's last couple of albums, for instance. It can be a source of good for the world.

I still fucking hate Taylor Swift, though. I'm disappointed that her year of absence from the limelight is going to end.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Taylor Swift's music is awful and she seems like a bad person too.

Dr. Insomniac

I still laugh at that picture that proves Taylor Swift posts on /b/.

Spoiler
[close]