Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 16, 2015, 10:27:26 PM
Maybe it's because it's not in my nature to talk about what I dislike

::)

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

What? Shonen manga don't count since I barely post about them anymore, smart-ass. :>

LumRanmaYasha

You made a fairly detailed post about how much you didn't care for Azumanga Daioh, without any prompting, just last week.   :humhumhum:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, and that was the first time that I had criticized something generally well-liked in a long time. I never said that I don't ever talk about what I dislike. I just stated that it's not in my nature, and that I should do it more often since it seems more entertaining to criticize than to defend. :bleh:

Of course, when I try to be too negative about something, then I realize that I just feel much better writing about the things that I genuinely love.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just finished the season. Great show, overall, despite a slow start.

I'll be really interested to see Stick return in the future and learn more about his organization and mission, but as for the story of Matt Murdock's transformation into Daredevil, it was a great first season. The supporting cast also grew on me over time. I really grew to like Foggy, Karen, and Ben.

Spoiler
I also actually felt a bit sad to see Ben get killed off, since I really did end up appreciating the character and his role in the story.
[close]

Kingpin was also a really well-done villain. He's the kind that you can clearly call a "bad-guy," but not 1-dimensionally evil like most MCU villains.

I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the upcoming Marvel shows on Netflix. After both this and Agent Carter, while neither show was anywhere near perfect, they were both completely unique in tone from each other yet equally entertaining, and it convinces me that Marvel's TV department actually knows what it's doing, and that AOS was just a huge first misstep that shouldn't happen again.

And of course, yes, this completely washes out the bad taste of that 2003 fuck-up.

Spark Of Spirit

The show successfully put both Daredevil and Kingpin up several ranks now as up there with my favorite superheroes and villains. Charlie Cox is Matt Murdock/Daredevil and Vincent D'Onofrio is Wilson Fisk/Kingpin.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In general, Marvel has been pretty excellent at casting their most iconic characters since day one. RDJ as Tony Stark, Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, and even though Ed Norton wasn't the best choice for Bruce Banner (he wasn't bad, just not great), they fixed it on their second attempt with Mark Ruffalo. And of course they nailed the casting on GOTG.

It's no surprise that they got it right yet again, with Daredevil.

Foggle

Watched two more episodes. This show is too damn good. Marvel raised the bar for superhero television in 2008 with The Spectacular Spider-Man, and now they've done it again with Daredevil. I don't think I've been this engaged by a TV series since I finished The Wire. Just brilliant. Going to buy the Blu-Ray set for sure. There better be a season 2.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've already talked about why I personally love "Stick," but my overall personal favorite episode is "Nelson v. Murdock," as I'm all about characters over action, and that was a great character piece, IMO. I love that Foggy didn't just become the "comic relief side character" that lesser writers would have made him. You really get a sense that him and Matt are genuinely great friends, and seeing their trust tested like that really came through in their emotional responses via terrific acting.

Also, the costume design for Daredevil's suit us excellent. One of the best I've seen in the medium, film, TV, or otherwise. It's just a shame that we only got to see it in the finale, so I can't wait for Daredevil's return in The Defenders.

Foggle

Nelson v. Murdock is probably my favorite episode so far as well. Foggy is surprisingly great.

I haven't seen the costume in the show proper yet, but it looks very slick and comic-accurate in the still images I've seen. I think the upcoming Deadpool movie is going to have the best superhero costume design yet, though; it literally looks EXACTLY like the comic book!

Spark Of Spirit

Yes, I like how every episode gives time to breath on a certain character in certain episodes as the plot goes on. Foggy, Karen, Ben, Stick, Jack Murdock, or even Wesley, are all characters I really grew to know by the end. Not to mention characters like Claire, Father Lantom, or Vladimir, who might not have many appearances compared to the rest, but are also very memorable.

I definitely want to see more.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The costume design on Arrow and The Flash is also excellent, IMO.

The worst superhero costume design from an actual big-budget production easily goes to Green Lantern....because painting CG over Ryan Reynolds doesn't qualify as a costume, and it just looks wrong. I get that they were trying to make it look otherworldly, but it just came off looking....like CG painted over Ryan Reynolds.

Foggle

Green Lantern's costume actually looked worse than the Bat-Nipple suits. :shit: :shit: :shit:

Avaitor

I finally got around to watching the first 2 Daredevil episodes. It's pretty good so far, even if it's not perfect.

Charlie Cox so far is a fine Daredevil. He has a good balance between  charismatic and dedicated that fits the character, and most of his delivery is solid, the Bale-esq line aside. I also like Karen, who's a strong female in the MCU sense, in that she's smart, able, and deserves her own time to shine away from the boys. But I was a little annoyed with Foggy in the first episode, but he won me over a little in the next since he's given something to do as the relief, instead of being it just because.

Besides that, the direction is pretty solid throughout, with some great fight scenes and sharp composition. This helps the merely above-average writing, but I can already tell that there is more to look forward to as it goes along. Consider me sold.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/