Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on November 23, 2015, 11:52:04 PM
Yeah, Bendis isn't exactly subtle.
He was named before Bendis even worked on Marvel though.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 24, 2015, 01:15:19 AM
He was named before Bendis even worked on Marvel though.
Shit, and I actually have the first Daredevil Essentials book somewhere. Lee is definitely not subtle, either.

I'm on episode 9 now, and holy shit! There were instances that I felt Daredevil wasn't able to fully handle its darkness, but i feel like Jessica Jones has this down 100%. It's getting more painful to watch, but is all the more powerful to handle. Great stuff.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I finished the series! Jessica is now my favorite MCU protagonist (closely followed by Daredevil and Captain America) and Kilgrave is now my second favorite antagonist (after Fisk, naturally). What a truly great show, just like DD. Pretty psyched for the upcoming second seasons, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Defenders now. :) If only we could get a third season of Spectacular Spider-Man as well...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

....And AEMH (with the original team of writers, of course).

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 26, 2015, 04:41:19 PM
And let's also have them cancel the Man of Action Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon for one made by the AEMH and SSM staff. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

I hope they're making good progress on Iron Fist. That should be fairly different from the other MCU series and movies (until Doctor Strange, anyway) dealing with mysticism and martial arts. Last I heard itwas pushed last because they were having problems getting it together.

Quote from: Foggle on November 26, 2015, 04:45:54 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 26, 2015, 04:41:19 PM
And let's also have them cancel the Man of Action Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon for one made by the AEMH and SSM staff. ;)
Now that would have been awesome.

Unfortunately, the animated shows have no hope until they get someone new in charge of them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Jeph Loeb (I know, I know) said in an interview that the rumors were false and Iron Fist's development is proceeding smoothly. I'm sure they'll give us some real info on it after Luke Cage and/or Daredevil season 2.

gunswordfist

I watched episode 4-8 on this Turkey Day

Spoiler
So much to say but I'll only say a little. Oh Jessica oh Jessica, it makes no sense whatsoever that you slept with Luke over half a dozen times before/instead of A: Catching Kilgrave first and then coming to him B: Keeping your distance C: Both! That obviously ended in a bad situation.

Dammit, wish I didn't watch the trailer. It spoiled the great precinct scene, even though I did assumed a lot of people would die.

I can imagine what Jeri's going to end up doing.
[close]
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just finished the season. Overall, I really enjoyed the show. If I'm to be honest, I still find Daredevil to be just a smidge more to my liking, but that does not at all mean that I didn't love what I saw here. I think that Kilgrave is easily one of the MCU's stronger villains (though, like Foggle, I think that Kingpin takes the #1 spot by far), and Jessica is easily one of the MCU's best heroes. She proves (along with Agent Carter) that a well-cast, great female character backed by strong writing and directing can carry their own story in the MCU. The TV series have nailed it twice. It's long past-due for the movies to follow suit.

I have minor gripes here and there, including to some extent the one that GSF brought up, but one in particular that kind of bothered me was the ending:

Spoiler
For one thing, I really wasn't fond of the way that Kilgrave was defeated. I love it when a villain is outsmarted, but falling for the cliche reverse psychology shenanigans felt way too beneath him, IMO, despite his delusional love for Jessica. Just because she didn't get all out of line and show any anger after he made out with her adopted sister doesn't prove that she's faking being under his control, and it felt rather out of character for him to just dismiss the idea that she was putting up a really great act after all. I feel that he was smart enough to come up with a more definitive test than what he did, and it bugs me that the writers didn't handle his defeat much better than they did. He deserved a better way to go out, IMO.

And that brings me to my second point. Among other things, one thing that I really loved about Daredevil is that it recognized how great of a villain Wilson Fisk is, and that he could have more to his character arc, so naturally they had him appropriately defeated and broken, but not dead. MCU films have a bad habit of just killing off their villains at the end of each movie so haphazardly. Granted, most usually aren't that interesting to begin with, and it was a smart decision to let Loki live, but most of these deaths still feel like such a waste of great potential. Daredevil managed to avoid this trope, and that makes me excited to see where the story can go when that villain inevitably returns to the story. I was hoping that the same could be done for Kilgrave, who was just a great character in general, but was disappointed to see him killed off at the end, and as I mentioned in my previous point, I wasn't satisfied with the way that it happened.
[close]

Those issues I have aren't nearly as much of a detriment to the series as I make them sound, but as my only somewhat major gripe with the show, I felt that it was worth mentioning. That said, this is still easily one of the best things to come out of the MCU, movies or otherwise.

Foggle

Spoiler
I don't like it when villains get killed in superhero stories in general, but Kilgrave needed to die IMO. I found his anticlimactic death pretty cathartic, since he gets trounced so easily despite his ego making him believe he was unstoppable and in the right. That said, I don't blame you (or anyone else) for not agreeing with me, as I seem to be in the minority in always loving this kind of death for characters like him.
[close]

Avaitor

Spoiler
Actually, Kilgrave's death reminded me of Bill's from Kill Bill, which is probably the best for him.

I feel that Kilgrave's death was important for the show, and Jessica's character in general. She will never fully get over everything he has done to her, but it's going to make for some fascinating material to see how she adapts to life without him being there to haunt her physically. Emotionally, well...
[close]
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I finished episode 9 at the end of the last hour. Sin Bin reminded me of Carrie Anne-Moss' Unthinkable so much. I wonder if they did that on purpose.
Spoiler
Another one of Jessica's plans went south. I wonder if Simpson is supposed to be that one Captain America who's parents Red Skull killed. That might be a stretch. It would kind of explain while he beat up a thousand guys while Jessica got tasered into oblivion in probably the biggest narm moment in the series so far. lol I thought he might have been S.h.i.e.l.d. earlier in the episode but not so much anymore. Especially since he probably could have just told the doctor about Kilgrave. I love that smile Jessica cracked at the end of the episode. I suspect that Reva's blood stopped Kilgrave's mind control from working ever again. I wouldn't be surprised since so many seem to love using that blood cure trope.
[close]

gunswordfist

I finally finished the show.
Spoiler
I've been forgetting to say this but the show is pretty intense. I think episode 10 was the most intense for me. I had to stop a few times during it. Wendy being murdered, Clamons being murdered and Simpson going out there and me worrying about Hope just...Of course episode 11 was right behind it. I am now thinking Simpson is/was a part of some Hydra cell that tried to duplicate the super soldier serum. I suspect Luke and Jessica will be fighting them in Cage's show. They had Sequel Hook all over them.

I was going to say that I liked Jessica Jones more than Daredevil and Black Widow (don't ask) but I think she's my favorite MCU character. Hell, maybe favorite live action comic book character ever. I think it's safe for me to say that for now.

Unimportant stuff: I think how Kilgrave got killed was predictable after awhile. I'm still kind of surprised they killed him because he's still alive in the comics (well, the last time I checked) but of course there was nothing else they could do with him so no complains. Robyn..boy, they gave that fucking weirdo too too much screentime. I'm sure the internet is making fun of her as we speak. I wonder if Loeb had something to do with her because..blame Loeb. :thinkin:

This was all bittersweet. I don't see Jones getting into anything close to what happened in her debut season. I'm sure it'll be closer to a normal superhero series with her putting supervillains more frequently. Obviously what happened to her can't be done again. I'll still watch though.

Oh and I think Jeri was my 3rd or 4th favorite character in the series. I thought she was going to all complete evil or something. I liked that even she had boundaries...even though the whole baby thing...Either way, Carrie Anne-Moss played the hell out of that part. I was liking awkward Simpson before he went all crazy..I just assumed the actor himself was awkward or something at the beginning.
[close]
Quote from: Foggle on November 23, 2015, 10:01:42 PM
Just be glad they removed one of the L's. It was literally just the words kill and grave mashed together in the comic. :lol:
:whuh:

I'm watching episode 7 now, and I'm still very positive towards the show. The acting and writing are great all around!
That reminds me, I was seriously impressed by how great the actresses for teen Jessica and Trish were. They were giving the adults a run for their money.
Quote from: Foggle on November 26, 2015, 04:31:10 PM
I finished the series! Jessica is now my favorite MCU protagonist (closely followed by Daredevil and Captain America) and Kilgrave is now my second favorite antagonist (after Fisk, naturally). What a truly great show, just like DD. Pretty psyched for the upcoming second seasons, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Defenders now. :) If only we could get a third season of Spectacular Spider-Man as well...
Kilgrave's 1st or 2nd for me. It's either him or Loki. And I like this show slightly less than Daredevil.
Quote from: Foggle on November 27, 2015, 01:44:36 AM
Spoiler
I don't like it when villains get killed in superhero stories in general, but Kilgrave needed to die IMO. I found his anticlimactic death pretty cathartic, since he gets trounced so easily despite his ego making him believe he was unstoppable and in the right. That said, I don't blame you (or anyone else) for not agreeing with me, as I seem to be in the minority in always loving this kind of death for characters like him.
[close]
Spoiler
2nded. Basically, Kilgrave dying represented Jones moving on with her life and no longer being controlled by him, even if he couldn't literally do that anymore. Also, Kilgrave walking right into Jess' trap was almost laughably stupid. I can get over that though.
[close]
Quote from: Avaitor on November 27, 2015, 02:37:13 PM
Spoiler
Actually, Kilgrave's death reminded me of Bill's from Kill Bill, which is probably the best for him.

I feel that Kilgrave's death was important for the show, and Jessica's character in general. She will never fully get over everything he has done to her, but it's going to make for some fascinating material to see how she adapts to life without him being there to haunt her physically. Emotionally, well...
[close]
Yes, this, yes. Jeez, I wish I wasn't always late to these threads. I hate bombarding y'all with quotes like this. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

On the contrary, if you pay attention to the part where her lawyer has to basically lie for her to justify her murder of Kilgrave, the look that she gives on her face is one of genuine realization with a hint of guilt, from my interpretation, and suggests that her decision to resort to killing will be haunting her for some time in the future, whether he deserved to die or not.

And I disagree that there was nothing more that could've been done with his character. Going by his past, he clearly had a descent into the person that he became as he began to live on his own. That makes for a three-dimensional character, and he could have still had further aspects to his character arc which were never explored before finally being finished off. To say that he needed to die is fair, but to say that he needed to die by the end of this season is like saying the same thing for Wilson Fisk. Both of those guys have so much potential to their characters still left untapped. Only one of them, however, may actually get the chance to capitalize on that potential.

gunswordfist

Spoiler
Fisk is very different from Kilgrave. Over the course of DD, Wilson basically became his Marvel comics counterpart. They can obviously get more mileage out of him. I think Kilgrave sticking around would have made things eventually get stale. They already showed his past. He already did virtually every horrible thing he could have done to Jessica. He would have just kept on going straight after her, trying to kill her. Plus, he became completely and totally overpowered.
[close]