Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Spoiler
As great a villain as Kilgrave was, he's one that would really suffer from overuse IMO. It also benefited both the narrative and Jessica's character arc for her to kill him at the end of season 1, I'd say. They'll probably show more of his past in season 2 via the IGH subplot, at least.
[close]

Dr. Insomniac

Spoiler
So any thoughts on who IGH is? The Inhuman Growth Hormone theory or a way to sneak some mutants into the MCU like an article I read suggested?
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Those arguments could just as easily be turned around on Fisk. We already saw his past and he already did a bunch of horrible things. That doesn't mean that we've seen his full character arc progress, though, and the same applies to Kilgrave, IMO.

Also, ANY character would suffer from overuse, so that's a moot point. I'm not saying to make Kilgrave a regular character again, just like I don't believe that Fisk should be, but future appearances would have a lot more weight to them. The difference here is that Fisk is being treated like an actual character, which makes him interesting and warrants future appearances. Kilgrave had that same potential but is ultimately only treated as a villain, and a villain always needs to die at the end because that's the trope, but it's that same line of thinking that would deprive us of otherwise great characters in other great series and films.

Shows like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, and Breaking Bad excel at those sorts of characters, for a frame of reference. Arrow was also smart not to kill off Deathstroke.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 29, 2015, 04:55:25 AM
Spoiler
So any thoughts on who IGH is? The Inhuman Growth Hormone theory or a way to sneak some mutants into the MCU like an article I read suggested?
[close]

It's no secret that the MCU fully intends to utilize mutants that don't exclusively belong to the X-Men brand. They'll just sneakily have to call them something else. IGH may very well fit the bill as a mutant-related organization.

Dr. Insomniac

While I understand the want to not kill off superhero villains, I don't know how you could write the scenario in a way where Kilgrave gets out alive. Jessica Jones was in no state to lower her hatred enough to spare him, and his powers would have rendered any due process completely useless. You could have him get away with his crimes and ride away with the boat, but that leads to either a dangling plot thread or a complete change in setting (Jessica Jones Vice perhaps?). And frankly, they had Jessica capture Kilgrave only for him to escape so many times as it is that another season of that would've been exhausting.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You don't actually have to do that for another season. There are plenty of ways to keep Kilgrave incapacitated or unable to use his powers and under restraint. He could be brought back into the story at a later time, perhaps even past the second season.

But whatever. It seems like I'm just not going to be able to agree with any of you on this, so agree to disagree it is.

gunswordfist

Did I mention that I liked how Luke Cage turned out? They didn't force "trendy" hip hop clothes on him and made him use slang over other sentence, unlike the modern comics of him that I've seen. He came off as intelligent and cool. Besides maybe Immortal Ironfist, it was my favorite iteration of the character.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 30, 2015, 12:05:26 AM
Did I mention that I liked how Luke Cage turned out? They didn't force "trendy" hip hop clothes on him and made him use slang over other sentence, unlike the modern comics of him that I've seen. He came off as intelligent and cool. Besides maybe Immortal Ironfist, it was my favorite iteration of the character.
Yeah, I loved that too. :)

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hasn't that been known for a while, now?

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I still remember gsf flipping out about it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 30, 2015, 08:42:56 AM
Yeah, I still remember gsf flipping out about it.
I remember that guy losing his shit too.

Dammit, gsf read that way too fast and then freaked out again and thought Punisher and then Elektra were getting their own shows next year  :'(

Spark Of Spirit

Since it was never posted here, let me just post the Season 2 teaser of Daredevil. The first part is just clips from season 1, but the last thirty seconds teases the new stuff.

And yes, some changes for the upcoming season include faster pacing (which will be good to differentiate it from season 1), more romance, and a moral battle with the Punisher. So far, I'm liking what I'm hearing and seeing.

Oh, and an interesting cameo for season 2.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

April needs to get here (it comes out in April, right?)

Spark Of Spirit

Apparently the official release date is March 25.

So, even earlier than last year.