Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think it's perfect, myself. We don't need another Grizzly-Bale Batman.

Avaitor

I watched the first 3 last night. I thought that the first was a little slow, until that explosion of an ending. As soon as the Punisher shows up, though, is when the season has started to pick up.

I can't wait to watch more!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Up to episode 7 I believe. The stairway fight was indeed awesome! Remember, we already have confirmation for a Punisher spin-off. After every scene with him, I can't wait to see even more of him!

I'll watch some more when I get off the Net, can't wait to see where they go with Elektra and DA Reyes.

Foggle

Yeah, that stairway fight was incredibly badass. I love this new trend in film-making where action scenes are done using tracking shots with as little cutting as possible - it looks amazing every single time. Oldboy will always contain my favorite iteration of this kind of scene, though.

A little disappointed that
Spoiler
the Punisher is already seemingly out after episode 4. I hope he comes back later on!
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on March 20, 2016, 04:25:43 PMYeah, that stairway fight was incredibly badass. I love this new trend in film-making where action scenes are done using tracking shots with as little cutting as possible - it looks amazing every single time. Oldboy will always contain my favorite iteration of this kind of scene, though.

If we're talking about melee-style fighting, then I 100% agree that Oldboy is the best tracking shot of a brawl-style fight (which is to say that it's a purposefully less refined and somewhat more realistic style of fighting). I particularly like how it draws attention to the fact that the protagonist is a vulnerable man and has to take a beating himself when facing that much opposition, and he gets visibly tired as well. It completely broke the trope of the Bruce Lee style of a seemingly invincible man taking on those lesser than him with perfect choreography. Of course, I mean that with the utmost of respect to the legend himself. And while one could argue that Jackie Chan broke the trope with his slapstick style of fighting with humor injected into it, I've always seen that as more of an intentional (and brilliant) parody of the style of film fighting that Bruce Lee made popular, as opposed to an evolution of the art-form.

As for street brawl-style fights in general, though, my favorite has always been the Roddy Piper and Keith David fight from They Live, for managing to be both legitimately well choreographed and hilariously over-the-top at the same time.

As for tracking shots in regard to action scenes in general, the hospital shootout from Hardboiled has always been and still is my favorite, by far.

QuoteA little disappointed that
Spoiler
the Punisher is already seemingly out after episode 4. I hope he comes back later on!
[close]

Minor Spoilers (since the trailers kind of give this away, anyways):

Spoiler
This definitely isn't the end of his arc in this season, if that's what you're worried about. He still hasn't even gotten to wear his iconic skull symbol get-up from the comic books yet (by episode 4), after all. ;)
[close]

One thing that does legitimately bug me about this season is how Foggy still tries to guilt-trip Matt over the whole vigilante thing. I think that Matt's argument that people die when he doesn't help pretty much puts a nail in the coffin of any of Foggy's counter-arguments. And seeing as how Daredevil never kills people (at least not directly or intentionally), it's not like he has no control like The Punisher. I get that Foggy is pissed that Matt isn't there for their real jobs enough, but that doesn't automatically make what Matt is doing wrong, or less important.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, Foggy is more often than not annoying. He doesn't drag the show too much, but with Elektra and Page getting some nice development, Foggy's just standing around while everyone else goes by. Plus, he looks like a ten-year-old kid in a monkey suit.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It made me happy when I finally got to that trailer line in the show, where Matt straight up tells Foggy that he is who he is, and isn't going to take any more shit from him about it.

gunswordfist

I just finally finished the season.
Spoiler
I think I still like Season 1 more but S2 put me through a lot of emotions. I was teary eye a few times. Probably all from the Punisher. The graveyard scene and two times he talked to Karen, iirc. Basically, Frank stole the show. Jon Bernthal's portrayal of the character is probably my favorite version of the Punisher. They did it so right. They made you feel sorry for him and his family, without forcing you to think he's supposed to be a hero and how brutal he was showed exactly why you probably shouldn't. If his series is going to be anything like this then I'm very interested.

Overall, I liked Elektra even though she was kind of..bratty, idk lol, before she stopped lying to Matt all the time and it was revealed that she was one of Stick's student. Then it was all good from there.

I called Stick a jerk twice because I ended up rewinding the part where he opens the door on Elektra in Matt's bed when Karen came by. What an asshole. lol I hope we see more of him.

I am officially sick of Kingpin's stilted, pretentious dialogue, which is why I loved it when he talked normal after Matt pissed him off. That's what I want to see more. He needs to just stop pretending like he was ever trying to do good. He never did a single good thing in season 1, he just talked about it. I don't care for this show's Kingpin that much.

I loved how Karen and Foggy had a lot to do. They were set up with a lot since the beginning. I like it when the non-hero character don't get ignored. Also, looks like the saddest part of anything I know about Daredevil's life is about to be set up and I'm not talking about Elektra dying.

I think that's virtually everything. I kind of wish they didn't want so long to reveal who the villains were but whatever. Also, Clancy Brown was officially the Blacksmith right? they made that a bit confusing. I also can't believe they got Brown on the show. That was fucking awesome.
[close]
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on March 18, 2016, 07:02:11 PM
I really loved how they built up the Punisher in the first episode.

Spoiler
Having that Irish mobster give a five-minute monologue about how he was going to be the next bad guy after Fisk and then immediately get killed by the real antagonist was awesome.
[close]
That's one of my favorite narrative devices in this kind of story. :D
:D I also wonder if it's the same mobster from the Kitchen Irish comic. I of course absolutely hate that comic so I'm glad I forgot his name but still.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 18, 2016, 02:06:51 PM
I'm 4 episodes in so far, and personally I'm really digging it. I love The Punisher in this show, and the staircase fight scene from episode 3 may just have surpassed the hallway fight scene from the first season as my favorite action scene in this show.

Now to see how Elektra turned out. It'll also be great to see the return of The Yakuza and Stick later on this season, as well.
The best action scene in the entire series. I'm glad that teased Daredevil getting his billy club like I thought it would after seeing him with the chain.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 16, 2016, 05:12:07 PM
Eh, didn't care for him in any of the movies. But then I've always liked him more when he bounces off characters like Spider-Man or Daredevil.
:-\ If they ever put him around Spider-Man, I am going to quit the MCU.
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 18, 2016, 06:33:03 PM
I'm 7 episodes in and just can't stop watching.

I will say that the Elektra/Yakuza sub-plot, while fine, isn't nearly as good as The Punisher story-line, which is amazing. But if my biggest complaint about a show is that sometimes it's only just pretty good, and great the rest of the time, then you know that it's an awesome show.
Agreed.
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 18, 2016, 08:06:15 PM
Episode 8:

Spoiler
1. FISK!!!!

2. STICK!!!!

3. How the hell is Matt having so much trouble believing Stick's story? This is the same Universe in which a giant green monster tore up half of New York, an alien invasion destroyed the other half, a magic hammer-wielding demigod is totally a thing, and an evil AI-controlled robot attempted to  bring about the extinction of humanity by lifting up a small country and slamming it back down to Earth. Compared to all of that, the concept of The Hand seems pretty tame.
[close]
Because he thinks he's a murderous asshole.
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 19, 2016, 09:14:32 AM
Two episodes in, and my only gripe so far is that Punisher's voice is nowhere near deep enough. I'll get used to it though.
:oo: Not sure if serious. I think Bernthal's voice is freaking deeper than Clancy Brown's, which really says something.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 20, 2016, 07:18:43 PMI just finally finished the season.
Spoiler
I think I still like Season 1 more but S2 put me through a lot of emotions. I was teary eye a few times. Probably all from the Punisher. The graveyard scene and two times he talked to Karen, iirc. Basically, Frank stole the show. Jon Bernthal's portrayal of the character is probably my favorite version of the Punisher. They did it so right. They made you feel sorry for him and his family, without forcing you to think he's supposed to be a hero and how brutal he was showed exactly why you probably shouldn't. If his series is going to be anything like this then I'm very interested.

Overall, I liked Elektra even though she was kind of..bratty, idk lol, before she stopped lying to Matt all the time and it was revealed that she was one of Stick's student. Then it was all good from there.

I called Stick a jerk twice because I ended up rewinding the part where he opens the door on Elektra in Matt's bed when Karen came by. What an asshole. lol I hope we see more of him.

I am officially sick of Kingpin's stilted, pretentious dialogue, which is why I loved it when he talked normal after Matt pissed him off. That's what I want to see more. He needs to just stop pretending like he was ever trying to do good. He never did a single good thing in season 1, he just talked about it. I don't care for this show's Kingpin that much.

I loved how Karen and Foggy had a lot to do. They were set up with a lot since the beginning. I like it when the non-hero character don't get ignored. Also, looks like the saddest part of anything I know about Daredevil's life is about to be set up and I'm not talking about Elektra dying.

I think that's virtually everything. I kind of wish they didn't want so long to reveal who the villains were but whatever. Also, Clancy Brown was officially the Blacksmith right? they made that a bit confusing. I also can't believe they got Brown on the show. That was fucking awesome.
[close]

I actually agree with most of this. Except I'm still not sure how I'd rank this season in comparison to the first (it's definitely close, though), and I enjoy this show's Fisk in a love to hate sort of way.

And yes....

Spoiler
Mr. Krabs is The Blacksmith.
[close]

gunswordfist

:D

I was going to mention how I'd rank the series but I was already going on for too long. :D

At this very moment I'd go: Daredevil Season 1>Jessica Jones>DD Season 2. The first two seem more consistent, from what I can remember. I have only seen them all once. I'll do a replay of all of Daredevil soon enough.

Also,
Spoiler
I'm kind of surprised they didn't reveal Bullseye. I think it's almost too obvious that Fisk is going to hire him in Season 3 and make him go after Daredevil. I also thought he'd be the one to kill Elektra..maybe she'll end up dying again. lol
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still can't rank these seasons or shows, but as far as first impressions go, I'd say that the Elektra stuff is weaker than anything in season one, however The Punisher arc is, IMO, the best material to come out of this show to date, by far.

So, while I agree that this season is less consistent than season one, I personally feel that the high points are even better.

gunswordfist

Hmmm, yeah The Punisher probably my favorite thing about this show. Hell, I think I might like him more than Matt now.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 20, 2016, 05:17:58 PM
Spoiler
This definitely isn't the end of his arc in this season, if that's what you're worried about. He still hasn't even gotten to wear his iconic skull symbol get-up from the comic books yet (by episode 4), after all. ;)
[close]
Spoiler
Yeah, he's back already. :il_hahaha:
[close]

I actually don't dislike Foggy or Elektra, to be honest. But I only just finished episode 5.