Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Considering that this takes place in the same fictional Universe which has a talking racoon and Howard the Duck, ninjas and zombie children don't seem that far-fetched, IMO.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 22, 2016, 04:55:08 PM
Considering that this takes place in the same fictional Universe which has a talking racoon and Howard the Duck, ninjas and zombie children don't seem that far-fetched, IMO.
It's not the fact that ninjas and zombies exist, just the whole situation felt like something out of Torchwood to me. That said, I didn't know there were going to be zombies, which would have explained the scenario better I guess. :( Guess I should have waited to watch the next episode before bringing it up...

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 21, 2016, 10:37:06 PM

Oh and Foggy was fine this season. He has every right to be mad at Matt, especially with how little attention he gave their case.

Because spending his time saving lives and fighting an evil organization is clearly a waste of time.

Matt obviously wasn't ignoring the case on purpose. He had more important things to do. Like, legitimately more important. Foggy was completely in the wrong.
[/quote]

No he wasn't ignoring the case completely on purpose, but there were things he could have left to Elektra. He never fully told Foggy about the Hand, its his own fault Foggy wasn't on his side. Foggy was not completely in the wrong, especially when Matt could have still made it to Castle taking the stand.

Foggle

Okay, yeah, the next episode made it seem less silly. Only three left to go!

Avaitor

I won't lie, some of the Hand's material feels almost like the League of Assassins in Arrow, which I'm not sure is right for the series or not.

But if this is going to help out for Iron Fist, then I'm fine with how it's turning out. The movies did a decent job making Thor and Captain America fit into the same world.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Peanutbutter on March 22, 2016, 08:30:45 PMNo he wasn't ignoring the case completely on purpose, but there were things he could have left to Elektra. He never fully told Foggy about the Hand, its his own fault Foggy wasn't on his side. Foggy was not completely in the wrong, especially when Matt could have still made it to Castle taking the stand.

Spoiler
Were you paying attention to the part where Matt didn't even believe that The Hand existed? He thought that it was a story that Stick made up, and while I have issues with him not believing Stick in the first place, it completely explains why he wouldn't tell Foggy about them, because even he didn't really know much of anything about them until the end of the season (at which point he already went separate ways from Foggy).

And leave Elektra to deal with stuff by herself? Despite not openly showing it at first, Matt clearly cares about her, and it's not in his character to refuse to help someone who undergoes life-threatening situations, especially when they have a common enemy (in this case The Hand, but Matt thought that it was the Yakuza for most of the season). You're basically saying that Matt should abandon fighting an evil, corrupt group just to give more attention to his social and work life, which is absurd because one situation clearly has more immediate consequences at stake than the other if ignored. With the trial, at least Foggy was a capable lawyer, and The Punisher was kept restrained for a significant period of time.

It's not in any way Matt's fault that Foggy still has problems with the path that he chose. In season one it made sense for Foggy to be angry because Matt was keeping such a huge secret from him for so long, and it was all a shock that Foggy didn't know how to handle. In season two, Foggy himself continues to stay as Matt's partner of his own accord. At that point, any problems that he has with Matt's double-life are on him. Matt's blunt line to him toward the end of the season says it all: that he and Daredevil are one in the same, that he's done apologizing for who he is, and that if Foggy has such a problem with it, he can dissociate with him. I was so glad that he said it, too. Foggy really needed to hear it and get the picture that Matt will always pick being a hero over having a normal life. It's in his very nature.
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on March 22, 2016, 08:46:03 PM
I won't lie, some of the Hand's material feels almost like the League of Assassins in Arrow, which I'm not sure is right for the series or not.

But if this is going to help out for Iron Fist, then I'm fine with how it's turning out. The movies did a decent job making Thor and Captain America fit into the same world.

I have the same impression about The Hand, but personally I actually liked most of the League of Assassin stuff, so I'm cool with something similar in Daredevil.

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on March 22, 2016, 08:46:03 PM

I do think that the show's tone and its actual content are a bit dissonant when it comes to the Elektra/Hand storyline. It feels a little corny at times to me, as it's trying to be dark and gritty despite the villains being immortal ninjas and zombie children (I guess this is what the original TMNT writers were making fun of?). I still like it overall, though, and the episode where Matt and Elektra infiltrated the Roxxon building was just the right mixture of campy and serious. I kind of wish there was more stuff like that in the show.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that it mostly works because the show has done a good job of planting the seeds and slowly building up the supernatural elements since the first season. We got a little bit of that stuff early on, and now we had quite a bit more this season. I fully expect more of that material to come into play later on.

While I agree that it can get sappy in a few scenes and moments of dialogue, I personally feel that the majority of it has been worked into the tone of the series quite well, myself.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 22, 2016, 09:03:58 PM
I think that it mostly works because the show has done a good job of planting the seeds and slowly building up the supernatural elements since the first season. We got a little bit of that stuff early on, and now we had quite a bit more this season. I fully expect more of that material to come into play later on.

While I agree that it can get sappy in a few scenes and moments of dialogue, I personally feel that the majority of it has been worked into the tone of the series quite well, myself.
Oh, absolutely, it works at least 95% of the time, and I'm glad they aren't watering down the supernatural or "comic booky" elements to create a more grounded experience. There are a few stumbles, but overall this season is every bit as good as the previous Marvel Netflix outings, and the Punisher storyline is among the best material in any superhero adaptation.

Avaitor

Yeah, I'm not really opposed to the concept, either, and I'm also a fan of Arrow's League storyline. But at its weakest, it seems like the show struggle with deciding the right tone to use the Hand.

I will say that I do like how the show still has an overarching story, but cuts a lot of it into arcs. It helps to keep the pacing fresh, as they try to give everyone a fair amount of time. Punisher and Elektra are well-developed, and the main characters aren't forgotten about, either. I felt that the first season dragged in parts (and so did Jessica Jones, for that matter), so this little extra touch of brevity really helped to make S2 superior.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Oh yeah, thank Christ they aren't trying to hide the sillier stuff. I remember in Jessica Jones when they kept having to tiptoe around it as if they were banned from saying "Captain America" even once.

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on March 22, 2016, 09:08:46 PM
I will say that I do like how the show still has an overarching story, but cuts a lot of it into arcs. It helps to keep the pacing fresh, as they try to give everyone a fair amount of time. Punisher and Elektra are well-developed, and the main characters aren't forgotten about, either. I felt that the first season dragged in parts (and so did Jessica Jones, for that matter), so this little extra touch of brevity really helped to make S2 superior.
Even though Daredevil season 1 and Jessica Jones dragged a bit, I think I appreciated their singular focus more, personally. Punisher is an amazing character, but this season desperately lacks an antagonist as engaging as Fisk or Kilgrave IMO.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 22, 2016, 09:10:46 PM
Oh yeah, thank Christ they aren't trying to hide the sillier stuff. I remember in Jessica Jones when they kept having to tiptoe around it as if they were banned from saying "Captain America" even once.
They might very well have been. Even though they're connected, I feel like Marvel doesn't want the films and TV shows explicitly referencing each other's characters (except Agent Carter, obviously).

Spark Of Spirit

I'm glad there wasn't an overarching villain this season. One because it makes it different from season 1 and two because they can't top Fisk so soon. It made this season a pure world-building season and it works great as a bridge from season 1 into the next one. Focusing on different things benefited season 2 a lot. I already can't wait to see where its going to go next season.

Now when is Matt gonna show up in the movies?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

I remember reading an interview saying there would have to be quite a few arrangements made in order for any of the TV characters to appear in the movies, like that one where the Russos were unsure as to whether the Defenders would appear in Infinity War.