Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

We better be getting Defenders next year. I don't want to go a whole year without any Daredevil at all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Yeah, Daredevil is one of the biggest reasons I want them to hold their horses on a Defenders series. Just give Luke Cage and Iron Fist each have a few of their own seasons first. The iron is not going to be bone cold just because they don't rush it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I honestly wouldn't mind if they took a cue from the CW superhero shows and had characters from one-series team-up with characters from another series in one or two episodes each season, while having the characters still retain their own solo story-lines throughout each season of their respective shows. That way we could experience the benefit of a shared Universe and it would help hold us over for a few years until they did a full-fledged Defenders show where all of the characters team up.

I mean, they've essentially already sort of done this by using Jessica Jones as a jumping off point for the Luke Cage character. I don't see why the same logic wouldn't work with either Daredevil or Iron Fist.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, it is sort of unfair for Daredevil fans. The show came out, was a hit, and had a second season, which was also a hit. But there's no room for a season 3. So now they have to wait to see him again while JJ (season 2), Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and Punisher all get their own series? That's like a two year gap to not have anything in production. That's pretty ridiculous for a hit show.

The least they can do is let Matt be a recurring character in Punisher season 1. He is spinning off from the show, and took up a lot of focus in DD's last season. It would be nice if the Punisher show could do the same for Matt.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I don't think Jessica Jones season 2 is happening until after The Defenders. Daredevil season 3 will probably be out before it.

Spark Of Spirit

Luke Cage trailer! It's out in September!

Iron Fist teaser! Coming soon!

Defenders teaser! Coming 2017!

Marvel X Netflix sizzle reel!

Wow, that was a lot of stuff.

Spark Of Spirit

Okay, I missed this.

Daredevil season 3 teaser. It says "coming soon" as well.

Looks like we won't be waiting two years for season 3 after all.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, man.

QuoteSpeaking from the TCA press tour, Netflix boss Ted Sarandos confirmed that where Luke Cage would premiere on September 30, both Iron Fist and The Defenders will occupy the two slots in 2017. Jessica Jones Season 2 was said to film back-to-back with The Defenders, with The Punisher starting production sometime thereafter, but Jones, Castle and the newly-announced Daredevil Season 3 will all wait until at least 2018.
The Defenders better be worth all this wait.

Spark Of Spirit

Dr. Insomniac

First episode of Luke Cage was cool. Especially liking the added literary allusions to this. The nod to Justin Hammer was cute too, even if this show's still just as tip-toey about referencing superheroes like Jessica Jones was.

Foggle

First episode was fucking awesome! The soundtrack is so perfect. Everything else was great too - on par with if not better than Daredevil and Jessica Jones IMO - but goddamn, the music. For that alone, this will probably end up being my favorite Marvel TV thing... until they make a Power Man & Iron Fist series.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm three episodes in and loving it so far, but I have to say, I'm actually starting to understand (aside from just business semantics) why the MCU is resistant to crossing over with the Netflix shows. They are just way too tonally different. Movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, Age of Ultron, and Civil War work because despite being so fantastical, they embrace that nature all of the way. They don't try to be realistic or establish hard, grounded rules, so they can work as stories the way that they are. Meanwhile, the Netflix shows keep the really out there elements to a minimum, and try to tell stories that are grounded and realistic enough to almost be able to work without any superheroes at all (minus Daredevil season two, which did gradually stray further into comic book territory throughout the course of the season).

There is also the fact that while the MCU films are particularly good at being well-made, family-friendly experiences, the Netflix shows tend to tackle more mature themes, and thus the characters and stories are written around those.

My point in this being that while I can buy characters like Frank Castle and Luke Cage existing in the same Universe together, I can't imagine those characters ever interacting with a talking raccoon or magic hamner-wielding demigod in the same Universe as well. I feel like the tones of these two Marvel entities wouldn't mix, and you wouldn't be able to have these characters featured in the movies as anything other than cameos without significantly altering who their characters are in order to fit a tone that they clearly weren't written for.

As someone who genuinely loves both the darker and more adult Netflix shows but am also not an anti-fun buzz-kill and enjoy a lot of MCU films just as much for different reasons, I do think that it may be best if the only interconnectivity between their Universes stays at the level of someone in Daredevil or Luke Cage occasionally referencing an Avenger in passing.

Although....perhaps I could see the entertainment value in Wilson Fisk violently removing an alien's head with a car door....:thinkin:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just finished the seventh episode....

OK, I definitely didn't see that coming. Totally subverted my expectations way more than anything in Daredevil or Jessica Jones. :huh:

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 01, 2016, 09:04:03 PM
Just finished the seventh episode....

OK, I definitely didn't see that coming. Totally subverted my expectations way more than anything in Daredevil or Jessica Jones. :huh:

I just finished Episode 3. Saw quite a bit of buzz about Episode 7. TVTropes calls it the Seventh Episode Twist for a reason.

Can't wait to see it tomorrow!

Foggle

DUDE episode 3 had a fucking fight scene set to Wu-Tang Clan. This is officially the most awesome superhero adaptation ever!