Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I just finished this last night, and holy shit, it was great! I definitely preferred it to the second season of Daredevil, and probably even the first. I'm not sure about Jessica Jones, but also keep in mind that I seem to be in the minority on here in preferring that to Daredevil.

But wow, the cast was perfect.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on October 05, 2016, 10:30:33 AM
I just finished this last night, and holy shit, it was great! I definitely preferred it to the second season of Daredevil, and probably even the first. I'm not sure about Jessica Jones, but also keep in mind that I seem to be in the minority on here in preferring that to Daredevil.
I liked Jessica more than Daredevil as well. :) I'm on episode 8 now, and Luke Cage continues to be my favorite. It's got so much style and substance, excellent acting, great writing, brilliant musical decisions, etc. Can't wait to watch the rest!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still say that the first Punisher story arc which was covered in the first four episodes of Daredevil season two are still by far the best, strongest, darkest, and most emotionally-driven piece of entertainment to ever come out of the MCU. On its own it arguably makes for a great 4-hour stand-alone movie. That said, season two as a whole kind of suffered from having everything that came after that point feel disjointed. The other problem was that they basically showed us all of their best material in the beginning to the point where nothing afterward could compare, even if it was mostly good stuff in its own right.

Foggle

The first arc of Daredevil season 2 is amazing. As a whole, it was my least favorite Marvel Netflix season, but that first arc by itself might be my favorite bit from everything so far. It was so, so good.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Honestly, I still like Daredevil season two a lot. It's easily the most flawed season, and like I said the first four episodes far overshadow the rest of it, but there is still a ton of really good stuff in the rest of the season. It just had the huge misfortune of having to follow-up material that was nearly perfect.

Foggle

Oh, the whole thing's definitely great. Every season of Marvel Netflix so far has been sublime IMO.

Avaitor

My problem with Daredevil season 2 is basically everything that doesn't involve the Punisher, give or take some of Matt and Foggy's stuff. I wasn't a big fan of Elektra, the Hand, Matt and Karen's relationship, Karen's arc, etc.

But that might just be the best use of Punisher that I've ever seen, and I loved all of his stuff.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I enjoyed everything in DD season 2, but I felt Matt himself didn't get nearly as much focus as he did in season 1. When it wasn't about Frank, it was about Foggy, Elektra, or Karen. When season 3 comes around I hope that changes.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Hmmm, I guess Matt didn't get a lot of attention in season 2. And I agree that DD Season 2's first half is really strong if not MCU Netflix's best arc. I think Elektra should have started out as a villain instead of giving Matt all those annoying lies, like I have saud before.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 05, 2016, 08:06:36 PM
I enjoyed everything in DD season 2, but I felt Matt himself didn't get nearly as much focus as he did in season 1.
Yeah, I think this was my main problem. Matt is an extremely likeable and compelling character, and when he wasn't the main focus of season 1, Fisk was, and he was equally engaging. I don't hate Karen and Foggy like some people do (even if the latter can be grating at times), but I enjoyed the idea of Elektra's character more than the execution (her actress was great, though) and the Punisher fell a little flat for me after he escaped from prison. The major villains of the later arcs also didn't have the presence of characters like Kilgrave and Cottonmouth, which is a shame because the antagonists are a big part of what makes these Netflix shows so good. Overall, it was a little scattershot, but Luke Cage has proven that Marvel TV can do stories with multiple main villains and arcs well, and I have complete faith in Daredevil Season 3/Iron Fist/The Defenders.

Dr. Insomniac

I was thinking up comparisons between The Wire characters and Luke Cage characters, and so far I've got
Shades:Slim Charles
Cottonmouth:Stringer with shades of Marlo
Mariah:Clay Davis with a little Brianna Barksdale
Luke Cage:Cutty
Misty Knight:McNulty
Pops:Blind Butchie

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on October 05, 2016, 09:08:46 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 05, 2016, 08:06:36 PM
I enjoyed everything in DD season 2, but I felt Matt himself didn't get nearly as much focus as he did in season 1.
Yeah, I think this was my main problem. Matt is an extremely likeable and compelling character, and when he wasn't the main focus of season 1, Fisk was, and he was equally engaging. I don't hate Karen and Foggy like some people do (even if the latter can be grating at times), but I enjoyed the idea of Elektra's character more than the execution (her actress was great, though) and the Punisher fell a little flat for me after he escaped from prison. The major villains of the later arcs also didn't have the presence of characters like Kilgrave and Cottonmouth, which is a shame because the antagonists are a big part of what makes these Netflix shows so good. Overall, it was a little scattershot, but Luke Cage has proven that Marvel TV can do stories with multiple main villains and arcs well, and I have complete faith in Daredevil Season 3/Iron Fist/The Defenders.
Elodie Yung is great. The Punisher didn't have as much focus in the second half so of course he didn't come off as great as before.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

I finally finished Luke Cage and it was definitely one of my favorite TV shows ever. GOD I am so excited for Iron Fist and The Defenders now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

Wow, they didn't waste any time with this trailer. I'm already sold.

If this is out in Spring like it seems to be, then the Defenders can't be too far away.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton