Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, the premiere for Legion sounds pretty badass. When I catch up with other things, I hope to get to it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Legion's off to a great start. It feels different than other comic book shows, even something like Preacher, and in a good way.

We need something like this.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

So the reviews for Iron Fist are in and... it's looking like a dud. I don't think I've heard a single good thing about it yet.

Ah well. I'll still watch it just to see if it lives up to the legacy, but I'm more excited to order the Immortal Iron Fist collections instead.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, I've been pretty unhyped for Iron Fist overall. I still think all the talk about how the show is Orientalist or whitewashing is bullshit (even if they did cast an Asian guy to play Danny Rand, I still probably wouldn't be enthusiastic), but hearing how the show doesn't really do anything new compared to the other Netflix shows hasn't really lured me in.

gunswordfist

I was hyped until I heard about this. Ugh, I still hope it's great. It sucks that the superhero I was looking forward to coming to live action the most is getting a bad start.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

The most attention I've put into Iron Fist recently was when some crazy lady on Twitter bitched at Finn Jones and temporarily bullied him off of the site by calling him a whitesplainer. Like people know he's just the actor, right? And the people telling him to quit the role, they expect someone to decline all that Marvel money and let the general public know them forever as Loras from Game of Thrones instead?

Avaitor

Danny Rand has always been white. On one level, I can see why casting a Chinese actor could be a good thing, but on the other,knowing today's climate and the industry's mixed success with writing for Asian roles, I feel like we'd still get some gross Yellow Fever tropes in the show if they did. Not to mention how it could easily build on the stereotype that all Chinese people know marital arts.

Basically, from what I understand, whitewashing is not one of the show's problems.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

I don't know, most of the reviews seem to focus too much on the supposed "whitewashing" as opposed to actual flaws being explained.

Though this was supposed to be done by the people behind the final seasons of Dexter. Never watched that show, but I remember the rumors about how goofy the final episodes are. So to me, this is up in the air. I'll wait until tomorrow after I've watched it to state if its good or not. I will say that I still think they rushed this out way too fast when they could have done another season of Daredevil or Jessica Jones. Or at the least give a different hero a shot. I really don't get the hype of this Defenders project they want out so bad.

Spark Of Spirit

I'll watch it either way. All I want is an entertaining show.

After this I hope they just merge Luke Cage and Iron Fist into one show, though. These limited Netflix slots are pushing too many shows out of the way. Lets get Defenders out already so we can start getting Daredevil yearly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I don't really see the point of the Defenders being made. These aren't heroes who shouldn't really be teaming up like this, and frankly, I'm not sure what direction it's going to go in. The thing with these shows is that they start off strong when they're grittier and more down-to-earth than the MCU films, but when they start to embrace more comic book-like plots in their latter halves, they start getting less enjoyable, so if it gets supernatural, I'll probably get bored.

Also, I'd rather the Defenders monkier be used for the films, since we already have Doctor Strange and Hulk. If Marvel could just get the Surfer back...

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Thing is, it's already being filmed right now. What I want is to get it over with so we can start getting season releases on a regular schedule. Waiting an extra year for DD season 3 is asinine.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 09, 2017, 04:45:40 PM
Thing is, it's already being filmed right now. What I want is to get it over with so we can start getting season releases on a regular schedule. Waiting an extra year for DD season 3 is asinine.

Yeah this is how I feel too, basically. They want to do it, its one of the main reasons they set all these shows up in the first place. It's going to happen whether some of us have reservations or not. As long as Defenders is good (even if Iron Fist turns out to be bad), I can be satisfied. I don't mind the paranormal stuff since they're going to have to do it if there's any hope of letting them gel with the movies. With the right script, I think seeing the Netflix Marvel gang interact with the outer edges of the universe would be fun to see.

gunswordfist

Wait, Iron Fist is out? Fuck, these shows sneak up on me.
Anyway, I am excited about The Defenders. Avengers but possibly by people who have done shows (the Netflix series) better than most of the MCU movies? Sold!
Iron Fist and Luke should not be merged. Cage did his own thing too well for a team up. I hear The Defenders won't be in Infinity Gauntlet. Hopefully they show up in Infinity Gauntlet Part 2, possibly as backup since I suspect at least one Avenger will die by the end of Part 1.
Also, when's The Punisher coming out? If it's all at least as good as Frank's DD2 episodes then it could become my favorite anything ever.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Iron Fist isn't out yet- it will be up this coming Friday.

And I thought that we're getting Punisher after season 2 of Jessica Jones, but I haven't really been keeping track of the show's schedules. I would much rather have the Punisher show than season 3 of Daredevil, myself- if we get more of that knock-off Legion of Shadows stuff that plagued DD's second season, I'm not sure if I'll stick around for that.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The Hand is kind of integral to DD's story. Hopefully next season Marvel won't squeeze in more characters to take away from Matt, but I still really liked season 2. And I would much rather a season 3 to Daredevil than literally anything coming up.

Having to wait two years in between seasons is crap, honestly.