Marvel Live Action

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 20, 2015, 07:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 10, 2017, 09:07:14 PMI can understand if there was too little time to rehearse, but there are Japanese children's shows that have less time than Iron Fist does in shooting fight scenes, and they somehow do it better. In the third episode, there was a fight that had thirty camera cuts in ten seconds, like a sequence from Taken 3. If you have that little time for choreography, it would've been better to hire an actor who already knew martial arts so he could naturally slip into the scene rather than require extra hours for training and rehearsing. You probably could have hired Steven Seagal of all people, and he would've done a more fluid fight scene.

Once again, to be fair, those Kamen Rider shows usually cast actors who are already at least somewhat trained in martial arts, or who have at least had experience with stage-fighting/choreography.

It would have been better off if they gave Finn Jones a costume, though. They could have given him a more practical design like they did for Daredevil in season one of that show. The reason being that it would make it easy to have a well-trained stunt double slip into his place for the action scenes. Of course, shooting a good action scene is a lot harder than just having a good martial artist or stunt man, though. I do wish that more people would truly appreciate the hard work, planning, rehearsal, training, and extensive repetition that goes into shooting the incredible fights in something like The Raid or John Wick, or even the hallway or staircase fights from Daredevil. People always seem to tend to take those for granted and have a "see, what's so hard about that, why doesn't every show meet that level of quality for action" mentality; when the point is that they went above and beyond what most other film-makers would do in order to make their action scenes so stand-out good in the first place.

Not that I'm excusing Iron Fist for its poor fights; don't get the wrong idea. It's essentially a martial arts action show made by people with no experience in that field and who also didn't take the proper amount of time to get it right like the crew for Daredevil did. That said, it was poor decision making on the part of the higher-up Marvel TV producers who hired the entirely wrong crew to make this show in the first place, IMO. While I can agree with criticizing Finn Jones for a poorly done job overall, I don't feel that it's fair to give him and him alone all the blame for everything wrong with Iron Fist as an overall production.

Regardless, though, I just wish people wouldn't brush it off when other productions do get their fights done well. Even those Japanese kids shows have tons of hard work put into them relative to the amount of time and budget that they have to work with, and the people working on them have years upon years of experience with this kind of material and how to choreograph and shoot it. That can't be taken for granted.

Avaitor

Here's who will be in the New Warriors show.

Getting Squirrel Girl in alone will make this a hit. I really enjoy what I've read of her.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I've read one or two stories, and I think Cloak and Dagger are okay, but don't really stick out to me.

This looks fine, though. I could give it a shot.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

Defenders trailer

August 18th.

Here's hoping this is as good as the trailer looks.

EDIT: Okay, DD's showrunners are behind this. Now I'm hyped.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

I already hate the Inhumans.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 03, 2017, 12:34:46 PM
Defenders trailer

August 18th.

Here's hoping this is as good as the trailer looks.

EDIT: Okay, DD's showrunners are behind this. Now I'm hyped.

Thank God. Still want to watch the rest of Iron Fist, but I'd still prefer the DD crew over IF's people in regards to the fight scenes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is that the Bastard of the Dreadfort that I spot on the far right?

Between, this, Iron Fist, and the X-Men franchise, I'm starting to see a strange correlation between Marvel-licensed films/television and former or under-used Game of Thrones actors....or it could all just be a strange coincidence.

Avaitor

Yeah, I'm not watching Inhumans.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I'll watch at least one episode out of curiosity.

But it's bizarre how Marvel can't seem to realize when a bad idea's a bad idea. With Inhumans and HydraCap, they keep pushing that shit no matter how much the fans, critics, and people working on the MCU alike say they're sick of it. Marvel's had an entire year of fans telling them turning Captain America into a HYDRA agent is a bad idea. And instead of listening, they make a big event out of it.

gunswordfist

They are trying to top everything terrible about the 90s.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

The trailer for the new X-Men show is out. I guess people who thought Legion didn't have enough action scenes will be excited, but I'm not sure about this one.

Dr. Insomniac

The only people in that picture who don't look like they hate being there are Daredevil and Quake.

Dr. Insomniac

So, does anybody else think Sigourney Weaver's character was wasted? I was hyped to see what the show would do with an actress like her, and just which Marvel villain she would play, only for her to play an original character who
Spoiler
gets killed by Elektra who takes her place.
[close]